PhD Public Policy Programs 2018

GradNYC

Still waiting for NYU, New School, and Harris. I noticted that someone said they received an acceptance from NYU and had an interview. Not sure if this is a fake posting or not....but checking last year someone was admitted on Feb 10. 

Also posted on the HKS thread: I have just quickly gone through [the HKS 2018] thread and found out about the HKS admissions blog. They mentioned that the financial aid application is completely independent of the application process and that we need to have applied by Feb 9 if we want to be considered for fellowships at HKS... Given that I've obviously missed the deadline, does that mean that even if I am miraculously admitted, I will not be funded in any case? :ph34r: ...

Edit: Never mind, I've just found that webpage where they mentioned that PhD applicants are automatically considered for fellowships when their applications are reviewed. Phew...!! I was quite panicked, lol... I guess the financial aid application is for Masters programs (?).

Edited by Cookiz

Oh and I forgot to post my profile. Here it is:

Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): top French school ("Grande Ecole") in social sciences, for both my undergrad and masters
GPA: N/A (because I studied in France and my school doesn't provide any averages, but I had honors in my undergrad and was Summa Cum Laude in my Masters program in Economics & Public Policy)
Work Experience: a 3-month summer internship at the OECD when I was a Masters student
Research Experience: 1 Masters thesis & 2.5 years of RAship for professors of economics (including 1.5+ years with a professor of economics at a US top school)

GRE Score: V 154 (65%), Q 167 (92%), AW 5.5 (98%)   [I only studied for the quantitative section... I know my verbal score is low but I’m a foreigner [French], so I'm counting on the committee to be clement here :).]
TOEFL Score110/120 (Writing 30/30, Reading 27/30, Speaking 27/30, Listening 26/30)

LoR's: 2 from professors I RA'ed for (with one of them, I also took an undergrad-level econ course), 1 from my Master's thesis supervisor (I also took two of his grad-level econ courses and RA'ed for him but it was only data collection stuff), and 1 from one of my grad econometrics professors (he's the only senior prof among my recommenders). I believe the 3 professors I RA'ed for wrote me very strong letters (none of them are tenured, but they all obtained their PhD in Economics from top US schools); not quite sure about the content of the senior prof's letter though...
SoP: My SoP was quite standard, I guess (?): I talked about my academic background and my research experiences, why I wanted to pursue a PhD program in Public Policy, what questions I'd like to address and briefly how I plan to tackle these, and which professors I'd be interested in working with.
Interests: 
Education, labor, social mobility, segregation
Schools: HKS, Chicago Harris, and UMichigan (joint PhD program in Public Policy & Economics). I also applied to several PhD programs in Economics.

Edited by Cookiz

On 2/19/2018 at 6:27 AM, SerenityNow! said:

Claiming an acceptance to George Mason on Feb 16th. I am still waiting for Duke which is freaking me out since there are acceptances, rejections, and waitlists posted in the results!

Congrats on GMU!

Re: Duke, I don't see anyone that has posted (official) wait-lists or rejections yet. In past years, rejections were sent out a week after acceptances. I haven't heard back either way so at this point I'm assuming a rejection--would love to be wrong though!

16 minutes ago, SerenityNow! said:

I applied to their environmental policy PhD program which looks to be on a slightly different timeline that their public policy PhD program. 

Fair enough, good luck!

I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone who's actually gone through one of these programs, if there are any around here: how difficult are they compared to a master's program, whether it was worthwhile, etc.  I'm inclined to think that a lot of the conventional wisdom on PhD programs in general doesn't wholly apply to these, but I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, tairos said:

I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone who's actually gone through one of these programs, if there are any around here: how difficult are they compared to a master's program, whether it was worthwhile, etc.  I'm inclined to think that a lot of the conventional wisdom on PhD programs in general doesn't wholly apply to these, but I could be wrong.

Tairos -- Exactly what I'll be asking during the admitted students' weekends :)