Best English or Performance Studies MA Programs: Dance and English

Hi,

I double majored in Dance and English at WUSTL. I am wanting to use my dance theory background in literature. I am particularly interested in how site-specific dance work can be used a lens for characters in literature who propel the narrative with their physicality and inhuman capabilities. Especially plot impact when characters are held in some kind of captivity. For example: Puck and Ariel in Shakespeare and Catherine and Bertha from the Bronté sisters. I realize I'm doing some major genre-hopping so I also wonder about programs that would be more open to that. I'm also particularly interested in MA programs in the UK, but would be open to anywhere that would be a great fit. Thanks! 

Sue Jones at Oxford seems to work at the intersection of dance and British literature. So that's someone you might want to take a look at. I'm not really familiar with that area, but a friend was telling me about her work. You're best bet is probably to look for scholarship on the topic that interests you and see where the people who are writing on it are teaching. Good luck!

Not MA options (and not UK), but if you are also thinking about a PhD, you might look up Nadia Ellis at Berkeley--especially her work on the Jamaican dance hall and a recent piece in Genders on dance in New Orleans.  You might also consider a program like Stanford's MTL, which would allow you access to their TAPS faculty as well as English.  My only contribution for MAs might be to look for people doing disability studies (which I think is a growing field in rhet/comp?, which are more often funded MAs), since I think that could intersect with your interest in physicality and captivity in interesting ways.  Good luck, hope you find a great fit!