Which GRE score should I send?

lemondrizzle

Hey Lemondrizzle. Definitely some AMAZING quant scores there. For Life Sciences programs, ETS reports that the average quant score was 151, the average verbal score 151, and writing was 3.8. From a statistics standpoint, your first score has a higher overall percentile. While your verbal is 2 points lower compared to your second test, your quant score is 4 points higher and, quite impressively, your writing score is 1.5 points higher! Truth is, most grad programs will involve a LOT more writing that you might expect, so I would definitely showcase your good writing skills by sending your first test.

image.png.5276409101975dd7da215d60258d5eee.png

9 hours ago, CoreyM said:

Hey Lemondrizzle. Definitely some AMAZING quant scores there. For Life Sciences programs, ETS reports that the average quant score was 151, the average verbal score 151, and writing was 3.8. From a statistics standpoint, your first score has a higher overall percentile. While your verbal is 2 points lower compared to your second test, your quant score is 4 points higher and, quite impressively, your writing score is 1.5 points higher! Truth is, most grad programs will involve a LOT more writing that you might expect, so I would definitely showcase your good writing skills by sending your first test.

image.png.5276409101975dd7da215d60258d5eee.png

Hi CoreyM, Thank you so much for your reply. Do you think sending both scores will bar my application? I honestly don't know why my aw score varies that much lol

After being accepted to MIT, I was able to talk to a professor on one of the committees about the application and acceptance process. Though they were a bit cryptic in responding to probing questions, I could definitely gather that they viewed the GRE scores as a part of a larger formula. From that, I deduced that it would be the actual score they use. They wouldn't introduce a new variable, such as "GRE score increase" or "GRE point increase per month". So basically, they keep it simple to keep their lives simple.

Raw scores vary because: 1) you're human and 2) the tests vary. But definitely send in that first score, as it is more impressive! Good luck to you!

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2017 at 11:55 AM, lemondrizzle said:

Hi there,

I took the GRE for two times, and my scores are really awkward. I got V149, Q167, AW 5.0 for the first time, and V151, Q163, AW 3.5 for the second time. I know my score is pretty low, but which score should I send?? (I am applying to neuroscience programs)

Thxx!!!

First scores are super impressive, and the low verbal is not concerning. I had low quant but high verbal and writing, and I've already been invited to interview at one of the two colleges I've applied for so far! Be sure the PS is good.