Any recommendations for summer institutes in linguistics in North America

historicallinguist

Hi. Everyone. Do you guys know any summer institutes in North America that I could attend in Summer 2018? I know that LSA has a summer institute, but it is a bi-annual one and it is not available until summer 2019.

I am trying to attend North America summer institutes because I am interested in using federal student aid to pay for the cost of attendance, and I assume that most likely only summer programs offered by Canadian or American schools are eligible to receive federal aid. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by historicallinguist

NASSLLI, if you're into semantics: https://www.cmu.edu/nasslli2018/

There are many more options outside of North America. The EGG, the summer school in Crete, the one in St. Petersburg, the one in the Himalayas, ESSLLI, to name a few off the top of my head. These all make an effort to keep costs down for students, but I don't know how federal aid would work. 

1 hour ago, fuzzylogician said:

NASSLLI, if you're into semantics: https://www.cmu.edu/nasslli2018/

There are many more options outside of North America. The EGG, the summer school in Crete, the one in St. Petersburg, the one in the Himalayas, ESSLLI, to name a few off the top of my head. These all make an effort to keep costs down for students, but I don't know how federal aid would work. 

Thanks for the informations.

Wow. I just looked into the past NASSLLI. The cost is incredibly low, and I reckon that it might even be possible to ask my home department to pay for it!

For the things outside of North America you mentioned, I honestly do not think I could use federal student aid to go to any of them. The federal aid only work for participating in a summer school hosted by a university participating in U.S. federal student aid programs, and these schools are usually schools in North America, U.K., Australia, and New Zealand, for some unknown reasons. 

Edited by historicallinguist

• 1 month later...

Can I hijack this thread to ask about summer schools in linguistics ANYWHERE?

Last year, I attended the LSA summer institute, and want to do another (preferably cheaper) summer school this year. I'm in Europe but happy to go anywhere in the world, but all of the good programs I can find are in June and in the second half of July, and I am just not available then.

Does anyone know decent summer schools in early July or in August

As mentioned above: The EGG, the summer school in Crete, the one in St. Petersburg, ESSLLI. All happening in Europe at various times in the summer. ESSLLI is mid-August: http://esslli2018.folli.info/. I don't know what's up with EGG this year, but last year it was late July-mid August. The Crete summer school is in the second half of July: http://www.phl.uoc.gr/confs/cssl18/. The St Petersburg school last year was also in the second half of July. Have you looked into any of those? 

There is also the LOT summer school, that is hosted every year by a different university in the Netherlands, and it is usually at the end of June-beginning of July. It is also a nice summer school, with international professors, opportunities to present a poster etc. However, I think that Creteling is much cooler, above all for an European, because you get a much more diverse multi-cultural environment! 

Thanks fuzzylogician and thevphone!

All of the most interesting ones are somehow in the second half of July or (partially) in June, and I really can't take time off work then. Maybe I'll get lucky and EGG is held later than usual!

Anyone else here planning to attend some summer school?