interview dilemma

Hey m new here... all the threads look very useful n helpful so decided to post my question.. i got a call for interview from mount sinai for phd in biological sciences. since I am an international student i have also been given the option of a phone interview. Can anyone tell me if doing a phone interview reduces my chances of getting accepted as opposed to an in-person one? also if anyone has ever been to a mount sinai interview it would be great if they could tell me what to expect..the kind of questions asked ..etc etc.. Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help!!!!

i have been on an interview at Mt Sinai and i am a domestic applicant.

i don't think doing phone interviews reduces your chances. if you could go in person you would want to go in person because that way

they get a sense of you as person and a graduate student. also visiting is also good since you can meet the graduate students and ask them questions that you may have.

you can also get a feel for what the institution is like and you can also see the place that you will be spending the next 5 years of your life.

from what i can tell mount sinai is international friendly. almost 50% of their students are international, at least that is what they told us. they also have some really good faculty and it would be nice if you can meet them and see if you would like to rotate in their labs.

hope that helps.

I agree. Plus, if you're an international student they will totally understand why you need or prefer to do a phone interview. I mean, if you could visit, just so you could get to know the place -- that's great, but if not, then I don't think a phone interview will count against you at all.

I agree. Plus, if you're an international student they will totally understand why you need or prefer to do a phone interview. I mean, if you could visit, just so you could get to know the place -- that's great, but if not, then I don't think a phone interview will count against you at all.

thanks! that helped!.. its kind of expensiv for me to go as reimbursement they offer wil only cover part of my airfare. does any1 know what % of students mt sinai interview get accepted?n id b really grateful if u cud tell me whther ur interviews were intensive or casual? i ve never been to any phd interview so i m totally lost to d whole process

• 1 year later...

i recently gave the interview for Mt Sinai and it was really great. It was very casual and friendly. I got to know about the community there and as far as I can tell, they seem very pro-diversity.

Also, i dont think a phone interview reduces your chances. i think the assessment is based on how well it goes. In my case, I got an offer from them within 3 days of giving the interview.

Good luck with yours.