Research Interests

ScienceGeek

Hi friends,

I just posted this in the engineering forum, but I figured it would work nicely here too. I thought I'd start a thread where we could post our research interests and perspective fields, maybe inciting cool discussions. I'm currently applying to a few different departments (biophysics, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, chemistry etc) with the hope of doing computational disease modeling. Right now, the goal is to focus on a system of autoimmunity, incorporating quantum mechanics as well as bench science. If you couldn't already tell, I super love multidisciplinary research :). What are you all interested in?

To avoid a large number of duplicate threads, I removed the other ones. Since you list fields that go beyond engineering, I thought this one in "Physical Sciences" is the better fit.

To answer your question: 

I am interested in exoplanets---planets found around other stars. Since the first exoplanets discovered around 25 years ago, we now know of 3500+ exoplanets! Most of these planetary systems look very different from how our solar system (where we have small planets close in and gas giants further out). I use telescopes from around the world to study some of these systems in more detail in order to find hints about how these planets might have formed. Understanding the formation processes and history of planets all over the Galaxy will allow us to put our own system in context with our neighbours.

On the bench, I do synthetic biology applied to infectious disease (bacterial resistance and malaria, so far), but I also do computational and mathematical modeling of gene networks, cell communities, and eco-social systems in healthcare–another big fan of interdisciplinary research. @ScienceGeek, your work sounds pretty cool! I had a professor from U. Wisconsin-Whitewater who's working on applying quantum mechanics to epidemiological modeling with some pretty interesting results, but I checked and he hasn't put up a preprint yet.