GRE Component Score Imbalance

harriyu

V: 168 (97th) Q: 151 (51st) AW: 4.5 (82nd)

Tbh, I expected this, as my practice scores were pretty similar for the Quantitative section but much higher for Verbal (around 150s in practice tests but I knew I could do better in the actual test). I don't want to retake the GRE for fear of lowering my Verbal score without improving my Quantitative score because I know from experience that I'm fairly terrible at testing for maths. Also, my financial situation doesn't really allow me to shell out a couple hundred for the test again, since app fees are a lot and I'm poor. I understand that it's an investment but that's why it's risky, and horrible if I don't get my expected returns.

So how much does the GRE matter, especially looking at individual components? Do I seem like an unattractive PhD candidate because of my Quant score?

Edited by harriyu

This depends on your intended field. If you're going into something quant-based (like math), yeah, you need to improve that score. However, something verbal-based (like english) would probably be perfectly fine with that score. In addition, different programs will use the GRE differently, so it ultimately depends on the programs you apply to and their admissions practices.