Is it OK to not list an educational program while applying?

invincible49

Hi,

I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer from India in 2011. In 2012, I completed a diploma course in Marine Engineering from a school in another part of the country.

I since changed careers, and am wondering if I can omit the diploma course from my application.

I have the official transcripts from my Mechanical Engineering bachelors programme ready, no issues with that. But getting the transcripts for the diploma (non-degree) course is turning out to be a challenge and I would like to just not declare it. I also feel it might just end up being a distraction from everything. 

I know I have to submit a transcript for my degree programme but is it alright to neglect my non-degree, diploma course?

Usually no. Especially for international students, most US and Canadian schools will require every single transcript.

Read the application instructions carefully. If it says you must list all educational programs and provide transcripts, then you should do that.

If you absolutely cannot get the transcripts, then it will be much easier and more correct for you to write a description of why you cannot get the transcript than to lie and try to hide it. But if you go this route, make sure you talk to each program you are applying to and ask what you should do given that you cannot obtain the old transcript. Maybe they will accept something like a photography of the diploma, for example, or a screenshot of your grades etc.

In addition to the moral obligations, here is a practical perspective: for programs that require all transcripts, the "benefits" of lying or telling them you cannot get the transcript will be pretty much the same (i.e. it won't make much of a difference). However, the consequences of getting caught lying will be very bad! You could get expelled from the program if they find out after you start or you might get rejected once they discover your lie. On the other hand, there are no real negatives to writing up a description of why you cannot get the transcript (other than the short amount of time it takes to write a paragraph).