UIUC

mathgrad

I got a letter today saying that I'm in the top half of the waiting list. It was a rollercoaster of a letter. It opens "We got 350 applications..." so I thought, oh I didn't get in. Then, it said "After careful review we think you would be good for our program..." so I thought I got in! Then, it said "Unfortunately, we can only offer 20 people..." so I thought I didn't get in again. And then it said I was on the wait list. What kind of people are writing these letters?!

I got a letter today saying that I'm in the top half of the waiting list. It was a rollercoaster of a letter. It opens "We got 350 applications..." so I thought, oh I didn't get in. Then, it said "After careful review we think you would be good for our program..." so I thought I got in! Then, it said "Unfortunately, we can only offer 20 people..." so I thought I didn't get in again. And then it said I was on the wait list. What kind of people are writing these letters?!

Yeah, I got that letter too and had a similar reaction. I saw the slim envelope from UIUC and thought, "oh well I got rejected." Then I opened it and started reading and was like, "ok I get that I'm rejected. Why don't they just say that in the first sentence?" and almost stopped reading there.

However as several people mentioned on the results pages, it was a very kind letter, even if misleadingly structured.

I wonder how many people are in the top half of the waiting list.

Edited by kroner

However as several people mentioned on the results pages, it was a very kind letter, even if misleadingly structured.

I wonder how many people are in the top half of the waiting list.

Yeah, it was a nice letter once I figure out what it was saying and I was trying to reason out how many people could possibly be on the top half of the waiting list, but I have no idea how these things work.

Hi guys I am on the same boat as well. I am also in the top half of the waiting list. I think that it would be safe to consider that the waiting list is 20 people.

Edited by isaak

Hi guys I am on the same boat as well. I am also in the top half of the waiting list. I think that it would be safe to consider that the waiting list is 20 people.

I also am in the "top half" of the waiting list; however, I have a feeling it's quite possibly larger than 20 people. A friend of mine at my school is also wait-listed. His letter did not mention his standing, simply that he was wait-listed (which I suppose means he will not receive an offer before the people in the top half). Anyway, we represent two students from a smaller school. I seriously doubt my friend and I account for a tenth of the entire list. I am not getting my hopes up, but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by measure

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have been very curious about this wait-list, still. I know that this is very difficult to answer correctly, but how likely do you think it is that a second round of offers will be made?

Thanks,

Ryan