Post here to whine about rejections

pleasegodletmein

Ah, UNC. I never quite found out why I got rejected for the MA but I suspect it was for similar reasons. I ended up not applying there this time because Wendy Wolford wasn't taking new students. Plus she got all rude when I wrote her an email saying I'd emailed her 2 years ago and so she just attached that email to her reply rather than answering my questions. So then I had to email her again to ask if she was taking new students. She wrote back with one word "No". Gah, there was no need for the rudeness. And it's a shame. Steve Walsh had gotten me all excited about UNC.

I never encountered rudeness but they certainly have a high opinion of themselves as I found out when speaking with the admissions faculty who mentioned multiple times that they're "a top 10 program." Even still, we're all in the same field with the same goals, rankings and prestige shouldn't be considered for admittance. It should simply be the best candidates for the program.

***Edit by Minnesotan: I fixed your quote box. It was confusing.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never encountered rudeness but they certainly have a high opinion of themselves as I found out when speaking with the admissions faculty who mentioned multiple times that they're "a top 10 program." Even still, we're all in the same field with the same goals, rankings and prestige shouldn't be considered for admittance. It should simply be the best candidates for the program.

Oh, I totally agree. And they are top-10 I suppose. But I'd rather be elsewhere in the top 10 these days. And rankings do matter. They help you get a job. :wink:

You know, it's nice to know that a school doesn't think you're good enough twice. Wasn't good enough for the master's. Not good enough for the PhD. Though they said they were highly selective admitting 20% of applicants with complete files. WTF? 20% seems crazy high to me! Oh well. I'm in the other 80%. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it since I didn't think I'd get in there anyways (my advisors here were not keen on my potential advisor there).

Actually, that sounds reasonable, especially for an MA program. Typically a school has to over-admit students to compensate for those who chose to attend another school. Let's say school A typically receives 100 applicants and enrolls 5, or 5%. It will probably admit at least 10 students (or 10%) to compensate for those it thinks will not take its offer. That percentage will vary with program, but unless it's a top 3 program, there should be a higher acceptance rate than, say, 2%.

20%, even including MA-candidates, is extremely high for a top program! Maybe it was a typo. 2% sounds more realistic, if it's in the top-10 (I assume you were still talking about UNC-CH).

Nope, not talking about UNC. UT-Austin and I'm not sure where they're ranked. The rankings are old (the 96 NRC rankings are still used) but I'm sure UT is top-15. And that figure was for the department so no clue how it breaks down between MA and PhD students... Oh-dee-well. Twice applied, twice rejected. I clearly am not meant to be a Longhorn. Which is fine by me!

I just got my first response... rejected from history at UC Davis. Suddenly I'm not so excited to check the rest of the websites now.

:(

I'm sorry aspiringdoc...I haven't received anything yet, but I'm sure there is no way to really brace for a rejection. Try to keep your hopes up. You only need one to accept you. 8)

dubitocogito said:
First response, first rejection from Boston University History. I'm at a total loss. Can't really imagine a place like WashU coming through when BU passed. Very demoralizing.

Maybe it just wasn't a good fit. You never know, so hang in there!

I've told this story before, but it seems appropriate to reiterate, under the circumstances. When I applied to MA programs two years ago, my first four letters were rejections. Three from my backup schools (every single one of them!), and one from a solid Research I. Next I got an accept from a big name Midwestern Research I, another two rejections from top-20 schools, a couple of acceptances from top-50s, and finally an acceptance from , which was a dream come true.

I contacted my safety schools to ask what I could improve upon when I apply for PhD programs. Other than my statement of purpose seeming a bit rushed or unfocused, the #1 answer was that I just didn't fit. I tried to get more out of them (i.e. "fit" how?), but they only made vague reference to 'types of students,' or the research interests of the faculty.

Anyway, to make this long and already-told story short, all three backup schools rejected me - I didn't even make the wait list - and a top program accepted me. Other programs in the middle varied. No rhyme. No reason.

You do what you can do to sell yourself on the application, but after that, it's a crap shoot.

I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. The universe tends to work itself out the way it should.

No problem. I'm as obsessive, cynical, and pessimistic about this process as anyone, at times (just ask my significant other), but when I'm really worried about it I try to take a step back and remember what happened to me last time I applied to grad schools. Moreover, many of my friends went through the same type of thing, so I honestly don't think my situation is unique; the selection process can seem very arbitrary at times.

This realization, however, is as comforting as it is frustrating for those of us who still have not gotten an acceptance. ;)

dubitocogito said:
First response, first rejection from Boston University History. I'm at a total loss. Can't really imagine a place like WashU coming through when BU passed. Very demoralizing.

My first response and first rejection was also from Boston University! Maybe we should compare our 'red flags' and determine our downfall! Mine may be my low verbal GRE score, but hey- I'm an outstanding candidate in every other area!

My first response and first rejection was also from Boston University! Maybe we should compare our 'red flags' and determine our downfall! Mine may be my low verbal GRE score, but hey- I'm an outstanding candidate in every other area!

Ohno - Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected by B.U. Was it for History? In my case, I just don't think I had a good faculty match there - my numbers, research experience, etc. are very impressive, but that's obviously not everything. Does hurt though, no doubt. I hope we'll be able to share a common acceptance soon!

One of my former profs gives the following advise re: History PhDs after having served on an Ivy League admissions committee a few times:

1) He warns that if you are applying to top 10-ish programs, they come up with the most random reasons to not admit candidates. Don't feel bad or try to overthink why you may not get into few or any top departments.

2) It is imperative at top institutions that you show that you have found a faculty member or members in mind who is working on similar issues as you.

3) The most common culling tool is the candidate's language preparation. (Is anyone here applying to Yale US history? They count statistics as one of your two extra languages, which makes me all the happier that I took statistics instead of calculus)

4) Apply to less popular niches. In history, this means applying to anything other than American and European history. Not only is this plan good for getting into g-school but also future academic positions.