What does "number of semesters" mean?

hellowrld

Question

Hi. I'm new to this so please correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm applying to Harvard this semester and the application form asks me to "Give full course titles, the number of semesters (sem.) or quarters (qtr.) for each course, and grades received"

Coming from a non-American University, what does "the number of semesters for each course" mean? Does it mean how many semester it took to complete the course or at what semester I took the course? 

For instance, if I took an introduction to philosophy class in my third semester, do I write 1 or 3?

3 answers to this question

It means the number of semesters to complete the course. Sometimes in the USA and Canada, a single course/class spans multiple semesters. When computing GPA, the school will often weigh a 2-semester class twice as much as a single semester class.

Note: For extra confusion, a series of courses is NOT the same as a multi-semester single course. In the USA and Canada, usually if the course number is different, then it's a different course despite whether or not the material is the same. For example....

If you took PHIL 120: Introduction to Philosophy from September to April, spanning two semesters and got one single grade only at the end of April then this is a "two semester" class. You might get an interim grade in December to see how you're doing but ultimately your transcript only shows one course number and one grade for the entire year.

However, if you took PHIL 120a from September to December then PHIL 120b from January to April, covering the exact same material but divided into two courses back-to-back with two separate entries on your transcript, then these are two "one-semester" classes.

Sometimes the same school will offer the same course material in two styles!

Finally, maybe it was just an example but you said you took Introduction to Philosophy in your 3rd semester. In USA schools, the 3rd semester is the summer semester, where you don't normally take classes (but sometimes there are summer courses). I know your non-American school may be different. But here's a rule of thumb to decide whether you should use the term "semester" or "quarter" (as per the instructions):

- US schools on the semester system usually have 3 semesters per year: two of which are for courses and one longer semester for the summer. Semesters in US schools are about 14-16 weeks long (In Canada, it's 12-13 weeks), plus some time for exams.

- US schools on the quarter system usually have 4 quarters per year: three of which are for courses and one longer quarter for the summer. Quarters in US schools are about 10 weeks long, plus some time for exams.

5 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

It means the number of semesters to complete the course. Sometimes in the USA and Canada, a single course/class spans multiple semesters. When computing GPA, the school will often weigh a 2-semester class twice as much as a single semester class.

Note: For extra confusion, a series of courses is NOT the same as a multi-semester single course. In the USA and Canada, usually if the course number is different, then it's a different course despite whether or not the material is the same. For example....

If you took PHIL 120: Introduction to Philosophy from September to April, spanning two semesters and got one single grade only at the end of April then this is a "two semester" class. You might get an interim grade in December to see how you're doing but ultimately your transcript only shows one course number and one grade for the entire year.

However, if you took PHIL 120a from September to December then PHIL 120b from January to April, covering the exact same material but divided into two courses back-to-back with two separate entries on your transcript, then these are two "one-semester" classes.

Sometimes the same school will offer the same course material in two styles!

Finally, maybe it was just an example but you said you took Introduction to Philosophy in your 3rd semester. In USA schools, the 3rd semester is the summer semester, where you don't normally take classes (but sometimes there are summer courses). I know your non-American school may be different. But here's a rule of thumb to decide whether you should use the term "semester" or "quarter" (as per the instructions):

- US schools on the semester system usually have 3 semesters per year: two of which are for courses and one longer semester for the summer. Semesters in US schools are about 14-16 weeks long (In Canada, it's 12-13 weeks), plus some time for exams.

- US schools on the quarter system usually have 4 quarters per year: three of which are for courses and one longer quarter for the summer. Quarters in US schools are about 10 weeks long, plus some time for exams.

Thank you so much! I was getting nowhere with the application and now I can move on!

The philosophy thing was just an example but it helped clear things up. I graduated from an Asian University and here, we do two semester per year. 14~16 week long semester, then a 2 month summer and winter vacation. I think semesters fit more better in my situation. 

Thanks once again :) I means the world.