Low GRE Verbal for English Literature PhD.. Please help!

I took the GRE general tests at the last minute, and got extremely insufficient scores in the verbal section. As you all know, the deadlines are very close, so it's too late for me to retake them. 

Because of this, I have a strong feeling that I need to apply to some "safety" schools that are not too selective... My focus is in early modern British literature / religious language in poetry, and I would like to know if any of you are familiar with some schools that are a bit easier to get in and that have decent programs. FYI, I only have a BA in English, no MA. So should I just switch to applying for MA degree instead of PhD?

I am very stressed out about this now that I know for sure where I stand. I feel as if I don't belong to the academia.. Please help! 

The sense I've gotten is that there are no safety schools, and I say that not to freak you out but to help you think differently. Apply to more schools, look beyond the top 30.

For a lot of schools you can select to be considered for the MA as well as the PhD program, so make sure you tick that.

Honestly, I don't have specific advice other than you never know what's going to happen.

It's too late to turn back now, so I would advise just proceeding as you would have before getting your scores. You'll either get in or you won't. If you don't get in anywhere, you can start studying for the GRE for next year. If taking a prep class is a possibility for you, I would recommend it. 

I wouldn't add "low ranked" schools to your list. It's really not worth it to go somewhere just to go. And if you decide to apply to MAs, only apply to those that offer funding.

21 hours ago, Bumblebea said:

And if you decide to apply to MAs, only apply to those that offer funding.

I second this. I applied to just a few schools as a direct PhD admit and was only offered an MA spot (which surprise was at programs which didn't fund MAs). However, at the schools where I applied MA I was given several offers funded and now that I am reapplying for my PhD I feel more confident and have really narrowed down my research interests (which are now different than what I wanted to do two years ago). If you did go the MA route it would also allow you time to study and retake the GRE if you want. 

Remember though- no school is safe if you are not a good fit. Additionally, there are many programs that do not require the GRE (hopefully other programs follow their lead). Maybe your best bet may be to seek out programs that don't require it (or do not weigh it heavily) rather than seek out programs that you feel aren't competitive.