Recommender not responding!

boulderboi

I have been trying to get in touch with one of my letter writers for the past week and a half now. He didn't submit the letters on the application due date and he hasn't responded since I started trying to reach him. I have tried calling texting and emailing to no avail. 

Question for all of you. How late will most schools accept LORs? Do you think it will have any effect on my chances with his late LOR (assuming I am able to contact him)?

48 minutes ago, boulderboi said:

Question for all of you. How late will most schools accept LORs? Do you think it will have any effect on my chances with his late LOR (assuming I am able to contact him)?

1. No way to tell, you'll need to contact the schools and ask. Most likely they will not have a problem with a late LOR before they start reviewing applications, and things get more complicated after that (caveat: they may have a strict policy on late materials, but in many cases late letters are somewhat different because the student can't control that.)

2. Once materials are reviewed, one of two things can happen: they can decide that they like your file anyway, and then they may decide to interview/admit you anyway, or they may contact you and ask about your missing letter. Or they may disregard the file as incomplete. No way for us to tell which one will happen. 

3. As a general rule, if this is a strong letter, then not having it would make your file weaker. If it's a so-so letter, then maybe not having it won't make all that much of a difference. 

I  would suggest stopping by his office in person, or calling the department during work hours tomorrow (or going over there) to ask if there is any way to get in touch with the prof. Maybe there was some family emergency. Or maybe they really suck at emails, but if the secretary can leave the prof a note, things could move faster. It's usually easier to get information by talking to someone instead of emailing with this question.

Thanks!

Unfortunately it is a pretty important letter. It is from my manager in industry who oversaw all of my research projects. He has since left the company though so it is not as easy as just finding him in person.

Did you notify him that he would be writing you a letter prior to application?

Anyway, it may be a good idea to look for someone more available at this moment who can also attest your research potential.

Edited by Ilkovic

I let him know back in October and he said he was willing to. I think I will give him until Friday to respond then change to my current manager. It's a little unfortunate because I have only been working with my current manager for 3 months and I worked with him for a year.