Chem Grad School: Multivariable Calculus?

succinylCoA

Question

Unlike most schools, my university does not require me to take Multivariable calculus to be a chemistry major (there is a physical chemistry class that BS majors can take that does not require multi). This course is notoriously difficult at our school (like at most schools) and I am unsure if it will look bad when I apply to grad school in chemistry without having taken Multi. Should I take the course?

2 answers to this question

I have an ACS certified undergrad degree in chem that didn't require multivariable. I also just got accepted into a chemistry PhD program for physical chem. My quantum professor knew that our university didn't require multivariable, so she would go over relevant math with us in class. Our textbook also had math sections at the beginning of each chapter detailing what we'd need to know for that topic. With that said, I think it't crazy that my school doesn't require 3D calc for chem majors and I do regret not taking it. Don't know about your school, but at mine calc 2 is notoriously harder than multivariable. So all that to say that multivariable will definitely help you and you should take it, even if you don't have to!