Alternative degree programs to prepare for atmospheric science M.S.

Steven Scott

Hello,

I have a friend who is interested in pursuing atmospheric science in graduate school but his university doesn't offer that kind of program. I was wanting to find out what alternative degree programs would provide good preparation for a graduate degree in atmospheric science. I'm in geology so I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified to answer his question, so I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, mike_andrews said:

Hello,

I have a friend who is interested in pursuing atmospheric science in graduate school but his university doesn't offer that kind of program. I was wanting to find out what alternative degree programs would provide good preparation for a graduate degree in atmospheric science. I'm in geology so I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified to answer his question, so I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

Thanks!

Cornell says the following on their page: "We welcome applications for graduate study from students with various backgrounds, such as physics, chemistry, engineering, geological sciences, and mathematics, in addition to the atmospheric sciences.  Each of these backgrounds can be appropriate for an advanced degree in Atmospheric Science, but all applicants should have a solid undergraduate-level background in physics and mathematics"

I would definitely do a physics and/or mathematics major. If picking one, probably just physics. Also, it is helpful to seek out undergraduate research opportunities (e.g. summer REU programs and research assistant positions at the university) related to atmospheric science. Lastly, it is highly encouraged to self-teach (or minor in) computer science. Python is a great route to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I'd say applied mathematics, physics, hydrology, or oceanography with minor in computer science. Other options are Environmental Science with a CS background. He'll likely have to take all the meteorology classes during his masters but a background in physics and math would suit him well.

• 1 month later...

My degrees are in Geography... All the research at both unis in Atmospheric/Climate science were in the Geography department. We had an atmospheric concentration as well as general, physical, and GIS concentrations.

I'd encourage he/she to take some additional physics/chem if going with Geography.

Edited by Shnoztastic
Addition of further coursework

• 1 year later...

My undergrad is in electrical engineering, and while I have a solid math and cs background as a result I'm very much lacking in the core meteorology courses.  I'm self-studying what I can now but I'm planning to take a few of those in my first year.

If I were to do my undergrad over (and at the same school, which also didn't offer meteorology or atmospheric science) - I think I have to agree with a lot of the physics and math recommendations.  Especially if you can have a focus in something like fluid dynamics.  You could even take mechanical/aerospace engineering courses to help supplement in that area if you had to.  And a CS minor will help you no matter what you do, at this point I would recommend that to just about everyone.

That answer might change after I start my program, but for now that's what I would be thinking about.