BPhil in Oxford without a 1st: should I apply?

PhilosophyMatters

I’m currently doing my 4th year undergraduate degree in the University of Edinburgh. My average last year has been only 61% and this year it has been 70% so far. I think in the best case scenario I can graduate with 65% which is below their minimum requirements. 

I have some extenuating circumstances because of mental illness. I have been taking medication for the oast 3 years and also have been doing counselling. 

Should I bother applying to Oxford? How can I improve my chances? I don’t have much to stand out. I’ve not received any awards or been published or anything. All that I have is work experience in my university as a resident assistant. Also a deep and sincere live for philosophy of course. I’m also an international student if that matters. 

7 hours ago, Scoots said:

You probably won’t get funding, but if your recommendations and writing sample are good enough, you stand a chance of getting in. Ask your recommenders to mention the extenuating circumstances, rather than explaining them yourself. Good luck!

thank you for your reply. Btw I am very new to this website, is it mostly centred around American students? Or is the content also relevant to people who are from the UK? :) Many thanks for your help 

14 hours ago, PhilosophyMatters said:

thank you for your reply. Btw I am very new to this website, is it mostly centred around American students? Or is the content also relevant to people who are from the UK? :) Many thanks for your help 

Most users are from US/Canada, but we have enough users from UK, Australia, NZ, etc. to not ignore a UK system question (as yours was explicitly).

That said, I think the advice was sufficiently sensitive to your question.