GRE cutoff

Imenol

Hello,

I recently received my GRE scores and I am afraid they might not be enough to pass the cutoffs for the top programs I am applying for (Brown, Harvard, IFA...). My estimated scores are 161 verbal and 154 quantitative (significantly below my practice tests!). I have an undergraduate degree from Brown University with a major GPA of 3.91. I focus on Medieval architecture.

Please be honest!

This differs from department to department but: I'd double-check to see if Brown accepts alumni into its PHD program. There are some schools that don't allow alumni into their phd programs because they want new ideas to contribute to the academia. I know a few top schools have a similar policy. I also know it can differ department to department.

Brown states that they don't have a minimum GRE score. Nor does Harvard.

Are you applying this cycle or next?

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=harvard+art+history
According to the above, Harvard's PHD in Art History hovers around a 162V-170V. However, it is far from a complete photo as GradCafe tends to attract a crowd that tends to be extremely competitive.

I'm going to jump on this train as well because I am also applying this cycle with somewhat below-my-practice-test scores. 

Almost every professor or student I've talked to has told me not to stress too much about GRE's - it more of a qualifier for them to gauge what your X.XX/4.0 actually means by their standards.  I have also heard of low GRE takers (I don't think I'd say your scores are low) getting into top schools purely because their SoP, writing samples, and CV were so spot on. 

From what I've been hearing, I wouldn't think your scores will prohibit you from being looked at. Seems like it would be wise to spend as much time as possible perfecting the SoP and writing samples so they have no question about it. Who cares about a GRE score 3 points lower than someone else when you have a killer statement and well-fitting research goals?!

GRE scores for the humanities in general only matter in the Verbal and Analytical Writing sections, and usually the scores are not at the top of the list in terms of importance for admission. Your statement, letters of recommendation, writing sample, and fit within the department are the most important components of your application. Your scores look fine as long as the rest of your application is strong. 

Edited by Pius Aeneas