MA/MSc with Funding

scatomancer

Hello,

I am an international student applying for PhD programs in Sociocultural Anthropology in the US, with a research focus of anthropology of mental health. Unfortunately, the number of programs to which I am eligible to apply has diminished, since I had not have chance to take TOEFL on time. In order to increase my options, I also want to include Master's programs with funding, in Sociocultural Anth/Med Anth. Are you aware of any?

Good luck with the applications!

47 minutes ago, Bschaefer said:

Hi @scatomancer, check out GSU. There is funding available for the masters students and 2 professors that focus in medical Anthropology - Cassie white and Steven black. 

Thanks a lot! Both seem to have research fit to mine, but $2,000 stipend for GAship per semester would be quite risky for me since the F-1 visas don't include work permission.

You might also want to check out Mississippi State. We are an applied anthropology program with focuses in archaeology, bioarchaeology, and cultural anthropology. Right now we have 3 cultural professors and next year we're adding a fourth cultural professor. The new professor is a medical anthropologist but she does not particularly look into mental health. But you don't have to attend a university that has professors that do exactly what you want. Just as long as you have professors there who can help you and who are willing to work with you on your research. Plus, I saw that you're in/from Turkey. I'm not sure if you're wanting to maintain work in that region of the world but we're also really known for our specialty in the Middle East. We have one cultural professor who does research in Jordan and an archaeology professor who excavates in Israel. Last year we had an archaeology grad student graduate who is also from Turkey and he liked it here.

Normally our department is really good at funding our students, even our international students. If you get funding from the department it's a full international fee waiver, 71% in-state tuition waiver, and around $4,500/semester stipend. You'll just have to pay for university fees, so around $1,000. It's also incredibly cheap to live in Starkville, so you could easily live off of your stipend. The application isn't due until February 15, so you'd still have time to take the TOEFL before the application deadline.

If you have any questions about the department, professors, university, town, etc. please let me know!

@waltzforzizi William and Mary would be a great school too to look at for PhD, UGA, BOston U, SUNY Albany, Penn State, umm I’m sure there are others too that would be possible. I know UMass Boston has an MA in historical archaeology 

I don't know a ton about archaeology but I can say that an acquaintance of mine is a first year PhD student at William and Mary and he does historical archaeology in West Africa .  He's really enjoyed the program so far, and has nothing but nice things to say about Williamsburg.  Take that as you will, but from what he's told me W&M is a great place to do Historical Archaeology.

@Bschaefer Thanks for your advice! I don't think I have good odds at the other schools, for now, just because of my record in undergrad and my GRE. I applied to the schools I did because: I have been "familiar"  with one of the faculty members at Stanford for some years, had a Skype interview with my POI at Amherst ( in the summer), and received amazing feedback from the POI at Berkeley. I will apply to UMass Boston without a doubt if I get rejected from all three. I've visited the campus before and am also "familiar" with professors there and my friend is finishing up her thesis there. 

Boston U is crazy expensive, and the others will be looked after enrolling in a M.A program. Thank you for your recommendations :). The program doesn't have to be focused on historical arch at all. It just needs to have one or two professors with scholarship pertaining to ethnicity, gender, collaborative arch, identity, and etc.etc.

Wow, this response is way too long, sorry 'bout it. 

@museum_geek

Thanks for this info as well. My proposed research is in America, but I will check out W&M! My friend was gonna do a CRM/environmental CRM something degree there.