UNC MSW 2018

flatterfeet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jessamine G said:

Anyone heard back yet? I know the earliest possible date for decisions was yesterday.

Not yet--I've read that they've given out notifications in like March in past years. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, BackToSchool17 said:

Has anyone gotten a decision yet?  It sounds like the decisions are done on a rolling basis, or have you all heard otherwise?  I didn't apply til close to the January deadline, so I am afraid I might be one of the last to  hear, ugh.....

I received acceptance to the 2 year program yesterday.

Wow!  That's fantastic!  Do you mind me asking when you applied?

Are you going to attend, or are you waiting for other schools, too?

Again, CONGRATS!!!

Also, did you receive an email, or did it show up in your portal, or did they call you?  I've heard that sometimes they call.

Edited by BackToSchool17
added question

14 minutes ago, BackToSchool17 said:

Wow!  That's fantastic!  Do you mind me asking when you applied?

Are you going to attend, or are you waiting for other schools, too?

Again, CONGRATS!!!

Also, did you receive an email, or did it show up in your portal, or did they call you?  I've heard that sometimes they call.

Thanks! I submitted my application on 12/4 and I received an email on 2/6 telling me a decision has been made and  to check the portal. I am still waiting to hear back from 4 other schools and my decision will depend a lot on financial aid so I wont know where I am attending for a little while. 

16 hours ago, sgt said:

I received acceptance to the 2 year program yesterday.

Congratulations! That’s so awesome!

When I emailed about a month ago, I was told advanced standing applicants got priority since their program starts in May. Here’s hoping that more 2-year decisions start rolling out soon!

16 hours ago, BackToSchool17 said:

Has anyone gotten a decision yet?  It sounds like the decisions are done on a rolling basis, or have you all heard otherwise?  I didn't apply til close to the January deadline, so I am afraid I might be one of the last to  hear, ugh.....

It seems “rolling,” but it also seems kind of random haha. I applied in mid December and haven’t heard, but I feel like I’ve read about people having a much faster turnaround time, so who knows?

Hey y'all! I'm a full time first-year UNC MSW student who was in your shoes this time last year anxiously awaiting admissions! I've been in the area for about a decade (went to undergrad at UNC too) so let me know if you have questions about the area, the program, classes, etc while you're waiting. Wishing you all the best during this stressful time! 

Would love to know when you heard last year?

Also, I am what schools would consider a “non-traditional” student, since I am much older....this will be a second career for me, if I am fortunate enough to be accepted.  I was wondering how many “older” students are in the cohort, and how well does the class blend among different age groups?  I am hoping to be in a school where people all blend and bond together despite age differences.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, BackToSchool17 said:

Would love to know when you heard last year?

Also, I am what schools would consider a “non-traditional” student, since I am much older....this will be a second career for me, if I am fortunate enough to be accepted.  I was wondering how many “older” students are in the cohort, and how well does the class blend among different age groups?  I am hoping to be in a school where people all blend and bond together despite age differences.

Thanks!

Hey @BackToSchool17

So last year a handful of folks were notified in late Jan/early Feb, but I'd say most people heard in late February through the first 2-3 weeks of March.

In terms of cohort age, I'd say the full time 2 year program skews to the younger side, with a number of folks straight out of undergrad or in their mid twenties, and a smaller group of folks in their 30s/40s. Maybe they said the average age of our cohort was 27 or 28? I can't quite remember. I imagine this varies from year to year, but that's how it has looked in general.

From what I can tell, there's a wider range of ages in the 3 year part time/distance Ed program, which makes sense because it's usually the preferred/necessary option for people who are already out in the working world, have families, etc. I've seen folks generally bonding regardless of age differences, and there are some great faculty to connect with as well! I think the cohort cohesion piece really comes down to whether or not folks can respect and value that, regardless of age, everyone is coming in with varying levels of experience (in social work, non-social work experience, the world, etc) and that we all have things to learn from each other.