UNC MSW 2018

flatterfeet

1 hour ago, BackToSchool17 said:

I guess I should relax and realize since I submitted my piece of the app on the deadline day, that I will probably be one of the last to hear....

jessamine, you’re doing a dual program, and have been admitted to the Duke half already, right?

Yes, I am! I spend the first two years at Duke. So if I don’t get in the first time around I’m planning on gaining some more experience and applying again!

On 3/3/2018 at 12:51 PM, uncmsw2019 said:

@Jessamine G who have you tried to reach out to? 

I called the school and pressed 2 to be directed to admissions. That gave me the voicemail for Tiffany Carver, so I left a message. I emailed her the next day and didn't hear. Then a few days later I emailed Ben Balderas, who I emailed back in January and heard back from relatively quickly. He hasn't responded this time though.

Of course I want to know when I'll get my decision (like everyone else lol), but I'm also a dual applicant with Duke and curious as to whether that makes the process take longer. My friend who heard 10 days ago applied on the same day I did in December. Just to get that questioned answered would be nice. :) 

@uncmsw2019 I was recently accepted into the program and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about field placement! I already live 40 minutes from campus and cannot relocate, so I am very concerned they will place me somewhere even farther from CH,  making my commute 1hour+. Are they considerate of these factors during first-year placement or is mostly done at random?

@ACBMSW congrats! you can certainly share that with the field faculty folks and let them know if there are areas you are definitely not able to commute to. I think they say to expect that you'll be placed within an hours drive of your residence. It's not an entirely random assignment - you'll meet with a field faculty person over the summer to share your interests and hear more about field placements that may match up with them. Ultimately field faculty pick after that conversation but you still have the opportunity to interview at the placement and change things up if for some reason it's not a good fit. I'm not sure where you are, but sometimes they'll have placements that are even closer to your home than campus is (depending on your interests/placement availability that year). 

I didn't get accepted. I am disappointed, but not thoroughly surprised. I have a lot of ministry experience and not so much social work experience, so that is what I will be working toward over the next couple of years if I decide to apply again. Good luck to all of you!

@rosieposie I hate to hear that. ☹️ It can feel especially confusing when you're not accepted to your alma mater. I saw on another post you mentioned you're applying straight from undergrad - I don't know if this helps make sense of it, but I've heard that UNC has a pretty limited quota of straight-from-UNC-undergrad students they take each year and receive a significant number of applications from UNC seniors each year. I know quite a few people have had success taking a year or two off to work in the field before reapplying, but it sounds like you've been accepted to other schools and may want to just move forward with that. Best of luck to you! 

@uncmsw2019 yeah, it definitely is frustrating. I can't really afford to go to the other schools I've been accepted at so far, so I'll likely work for another year and try again next application season. One of my friend's moms actually had the same thing happen and she worked and took a class in the school of social work and was accepted the second time. Hope you're enjoying your time at UNC! Chapel Hill is an awesome place to be.