What to do when request for LOR isn't acknowledged

Nico Corr

I had planned on applying to three graduate school programs for the Fall 2018 application cycle, and need two for each school I am applying to. I reached out to two professors who I thought could write me great LORs, and only one has acceded to my request. The other I haven't heard from and I'm starting to worry that it's getting too late in the game for me to ask an alternate LOR writer. I don't have this professor's direct telephone extension, so I was thinking of calling the department he works in to see if he was still in the office. Is anyone else going through something similar? How did you handle it?

When are your applications due?  If you have a strong relationship with the second professor, would reach out again.  I e-mailed all of my professors back in June (Dec 1 Deadline) and two responded quickly, and the third did not respond.  I reached out again to the third professor mid-July, and he responded quickly to the second e-mail.  I have a close relationship with a fourth professor (but research wasn't as closely related as the others) and asked if he would be able to write a letter if need be - although I didn't end up needing his letter, it was SO helpful in calming my anxiety when my third professor submitted hours before the final deadline.  I think asking a "backup" professor is a good plan, especially in the event that you've already followed up, or if this professor has not written you a letter in the past/indicated they would write you a letter.  Good luck! 

I agree with @kitcassidance. As long as you have a very good relationship with your recommends, you shouldn't hesitate to remind them.. gently. Also,  you have to remember that they usually need a small reminder because they do get busy. Of course, it's a different story if the recommender is someone you just met or barely know. Always have a backup just in case! 

Thanks for the responses pinoysoc and kitcassidance. I haven't heard from this one professor at all, and my deadlines are on January 1st, 15th and February 1st, so I am starting to get a little antsy. I'll call and see if he's on campus.