LSE vs. Goldsmiths for creative types

jimnyjames

Hi!

Looking for advice from someone more familiar with the London uni scene, experiences, etc.

I recently received unconditional offers from LSE (Politics & Communications) and Goldsmiths (Political Communication and Media&Communications).

While the LSE is currently my top choice (for obvious reasons such as world class lecturers, prestige, networking opportunities, etc - also that my husband will be studying there and going to the same uni would probably make our daily life easier), I also wonder whether I might be discarding Goldsmiths purely due name-dropping value (which in this world is unfortunately not a small thing). Goldsmiths seems like an interesting uni for more creative, left-wing, political and alternative types, which would be an accurate description for myself. It also means I would get to study along people doing MAs in Radio, Documentary, etc and hopefully join clubs, societies, workshops, etc.. which is something I'm also interested in. My BA is in Philosophy, so I'm also looking forward to getting out of the exclusively academic experience.

So - I guess my questions are... Am I crazy for still considering Goldsmiths with an unconditional offer from LSE? Should this be a no-brainer? Is there room for more creative types to grow at LSE? Radio/documentary workshops? I guess I would just love to hear from people from LSE that might have a bit in common with my profile or from people in the Media Department at Goldsmiths. I know the decision comes down to me, but I would to hear your thoughts on this, since I don't really know much about the Goldsmiths experience or LSE in real life.

Thanks!

Hello :) 

Congrats from receiving offers from Goldsmiths and LSE!

I am currently planning to apply to media/comm as well and both of them are my top choices.

May I ask when you applied and the length of your SOP? Did you also have related work experience?

I'm thinking of applying this month and everything worries me right now.

I don't know if I can be a great help, but what I heard from the graduates, LSE is more theoretical but you have more time on your own hands.

Goldsmiths provides a bit more hands-on such as field trips and guest lectures. Students actually make presentations in front of industry practitioners.

If you are planning to work in the media industry, then there will be more nerworking possible in Goldsmiths since the programme has more tradition than LSE.

Many professionals and even media related professors received their masters from Goldsmiths in my country (South Korea).

But if you want your choice open for your career field, LSE would also be wonderful because the name value definitely can't be ignored.

Anyways, congratulations!! I envy you soooo much :)