Going to the Same Place You went Undergrad

tammy-san

I've noticed under other disciplines, it's generally frowned upon as "academic incest". I wonder if the same applies to professional programs like public policy? I went to Duke for undergrad, and I got into Sanford. I loved my undergraduate experience, but I'm not sure if I should go back...thoughts?

That's definitely an issue in academia, where institutional diversity is valued. But from what I can tell, it's not an issue at all among the employers that are hiring from professional programs. Not one bit. I don't blame you for wanting to come back - Duke is really nice :)

Some locational diversity might be beneficial from a personal standpoint, but perhaps not if you've experienced many different parts of the country/world already. For example, I grew up in Colorado, went to school in Washington state, and have lived for the better part of a year or more in California, Idaho, Beijing, and DC/Virginia/Maryland. I knew when I went to Duke that the locational diversity experience of living in the Southeast wasn't really a positive for me, since I've been around and decided that I won't settle for living anywhere other than the west coast or mountain west. I'm not really "growing" by doing my gradschool in NC, just wishing every day that Duke was located somewhere west of Denver :) So the whole "grow as a person from diverse experiences" thing may not necessarily apply.

Just had a thought: if you're interested, I'm pretty close with a girl from our class who went to Duke for her undergrad (graduated in '07 I believe). I could put her in touch if you have some specific questions or just want to reminisce about how much the Tar Heels suck :)

Edited by stilesg57

Just had a thought: if you're interested, I'm pretty close with a girl from our class who went to Duke for her undergrad (graduated in '07 I believe). I could put her in touch if you have some specific questions or just want to reminisce about how much the Tar Heels suck :)

Yes. UNC's horrible season this year --> hehehehe! :)

I graduated Trinity '06, and then spent 2 years in the Peace Corps in West Africa. I've done my fair share of traveling both internationally and domestically. The fact that Duke is in the South doesn't bother me at all, since I grew up in North Carolina. I'm more concerned about the curriculum, and whether it would seem repetitive; I was a poli sci/econ major, and I am familiar with some of the professors that teach in the public policy department.

Actually, it would be nice to talk to someone who went to Duke before too. Did she go straight into Sanford from undergrad?

Thanks for the help!

I'm more concerned about the curriculum, and whether it would seem repetitive; I was a poli sci/econ major, and I am familiar with some of the professors that teach in the public policy department.

I can't speak to Duke specifically, but just wanted to address this one point in general. Classroom approaches in undergrad and grad-level classes are very different, so I don't think having the same professors again would be repetitive (not to mention they may teach courses that were very different from what was taught in undergrad). As for your greater question, I don't think it's a problem to have bachelor's and master's degrees from the same place, especially at a very well regarded university like Duke (my fellow-ACC member, large state school alma mater on the other hand...)

I've noticed under other disciplines, it's generally frowned upon as "academic incest". I wonder if the same applies to professional programs like public policy? I went to Duke for undergrad, and I got into Sanford. I loved my undergraduate experience, but I'm not sure if I should go back...thoughts?

I think it depends on how much overlap you're undergraduate degree has. Obviously the professional program is at a different level, but if you had some or most of the same professors teaching you as undergrad then it would seem to be beneficial to go elsewhere just to get different perspectives on the tools/issues/discipline. It also is good to keep widening your network of contacts. On the other hand, if you were an engineer as an undergraduate, then I see no harm in it at all.

Yes. UNC's horrible season this year --> hehehehe! :)

I graduated Trinity '06, and then spent 2 years in the Peace Corps in West Africa. I've done my fair share of traveling both internationally and domestically. The fact that Duke is in the South doesn't bother me at all, since I grew up in North Carolina. I'm more concerned about the curriculum, and whether it would seem repetitive; I was a poli sci/econ major, and I am familiar with some of the professors that teach in the public policy department.

Actually, it would be nice to talk to someone who went to Duke before too. Did she go straight into Sanford from undergrad?

Thanks for the help!

She's class of '05. Majored in Public Policy Studies too, so questions about overlap might be particularly apropos. Send your contact info to garrett dot stiles at duke dot edu and I'll let her know you want to talk. We're all in the middle of a ridiculous 48 hr exercise (like a fraternity initiation for policy geeks) right now, so I wouldn't expect anything before Monday.

And sorry for the cryptic email address, but I worked at a software company a few years ago and learned about all the spam bots that troll the web looking for addresses in the standard format and I'd like to avoid them ;)

I can't speak to Duke specifically, but just wanted to address this one point in general. Classroom approaches in undergrad and grad-level classes are very different, so I don't think having the same professors again would be repetitive (not to mention they may teach courses that were very different from what was taught in undergrad).

Not just different, but grad-exclusive. I'm in an elective course right now in the engineering school, and it's the first time I've had any undergrads in any class with me. The MPP core curriculum - which essentially makes up your whole first year and a good chunk of your second - is 100% exclusive to grad students at Sanford.

She's class of '05. Majored in Public Policy Studies too, so questions about overlap might be particularly apropos. Send your contact info to garrett dot stiles at duke dot edu and I'll let her know you want to talk. We're all in the middle of a ridiculous 48 hr exercise (like a fraternity initiation for policy geeks) right now, so I wouldn't expect anything before Monday.

And sorry for the cryptic email address, but I worked at a software company a few years ago and learned about all the spam bots that troll the web looking for addresses in the standard format and I'd like to avoid them ;)

Thanks! I'll send her an e-mail on Monday.