Anyone has prior experience in Statistics REUs? If so, can you give some advice, thoughts, and comments on its value?

elefish92

Just for some context...

I'm applying for summer 2018, currently a second-year, and as much schools as I can, especially considering my low GPA (sub 3.0) due to mental depression. I'm a minority but male from a top Cal State. I seriously need some test taking advice if anything as well, particularly for midterms. For example, I got an A on my CS Intro to Programming final but a C in the class...yeah...lmao

I did get a B in my Applied Probability and Statistics I calculus-based class, which I'm so happy about but obviously need improvement for the future! I loved the class. :) It really sucks that I won't be able to get in my grade forgiveness in time by the round of applications (I think it'll be a 3.5+ if I get straight A's next semester haha)

Anyway, I pretty much have everything else in the books. I'm applying to (as of now, I will probably apply to more...just a draft list):

I can't really find any other programs right now, mainly due to low GPA (not qualified for the two other ASA REUs at Morgan State and UNCG for ex.... damn) or kinda useless summer program (SIBS). If anyone can answer the questions, suggest summer programs, or/and advice for a prospective Stats PhD student, that would be awesome!!! Otherwise, have a good day and thank you for reading! :D I

I have participated in two of these and as far as 'value' it really depends on you. I was craving more than what coursework was giving me so I applied to REUs. The taste of research followed by participating in conferences (as a direct result of the summer program) led me right to biostatistics which I plan to make a career out of. So for me REUs were life changing but a handful of students in my cohorts discovered statistics and/or graduate school was not for them. Most REU websites do a good job explaining what you'll be doing but I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

I wouldn't discount SIBS as a first time research experience since you'll have another summer to apply to these programs and if something really grabs your attention you could reach out to faculty at your university. You could check out Wisconsin's Biomedical Data science summer program as well. As you have probably identified, at least a few of these programs are designed to recruit underrepresented students into stats/biostats. It's my personal belief that some program directors aren't looking for the 4.0 applicants from schools with an abundance of research opportunities but are looking for the underdogs with grit and a compelling story so work hard on your personal statements.

If you already have an interest in biostatistics, University of Washington has https://www.biostat.washington.edu/suminst which isn't an REU but coupled with a project with faculty at your home university could make for a fun summer. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...