Got interviews in Midwest. I'm from Texas. How do I dress for weather?

ChallengerSwimmer23

Hi everyone, 

I have interviews at Ohio State and Notre Dame. I am from Texas where it is usually 60-70 degrees at this time of the year. Maybe a week here and there that is 50 degrees. This is my first time traveling to the Midwest. Since the interviews are next month and I'm sure there will be snow. How do I dress professionally while also dressing for weather? For those of y'all from the Midwest, how do you dress for interviews at this time of year? Thanks.

EDIT (after reading several posts):

I forgot to mention that I am a guy in my initial post. Very excellent advice from all the responses on here for both guys and women dressing up. Good advice for anyone from the South. Thanks for the responses! I'll bundle up and enjoy my time in the Midwest next month! 

Edited by ChallengerSwimmer23

17 minutes ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have interviews at Ohio State and Notre Dame. I am from Texas where it is usually 60-70 degrees at this time of the year. Maybe a week here and there that is 50 degrees. This is my first time traveling to the Midwest. Since the interviews are next month and I'm sure there will be snow. How do I dress professionally while also dressing for weather? For those of y'all from the Midwest, how do you dress for interviews at this time of year? Thanks.

I've lived in the midwest my whole life.  For interviews, a nice pair of long pants, a button-up shirt, and a long-sleeve jacket is all I needed for job interviews.  For business casual, a long-sleeve sweater over a button-up with pants will work.  I've always found that pants are warmer than wearing a skirt with tights, so I've opted for that (as a woman).  There are sweater/fleece-lined tights or leggings you can wear under a skirt/dress that will keep you warm, though.

For outdoor walking, you'll want a warm coat.  Wool or down coats and parkas have worked best for me.  A hat, scarf, and gloves to go with it.  If you have a parka with a hood, you should be okay without a hat if you're worried about messing up your hair.  I would think your interviewers will understand though.

Shoes can be tricky.  Men can still wear nice shoes, but I'd make sure to check the bottoms for good traction so you don't slip in the snow/slush/ice.  Women should wear thicker dress shoes or short booties with traction.  I'd advise against flats because I don't think they have good traction in the snow, they're thin, and my feet get really cold in them, but to each their own.  And heels have always been uncomfortable for me, and you definitely don't want to wear them outside in the winter.  If you want to invest in a good pair of winter boots, that should be okay.  I'm on the fence as to whether nice riding boots are interview appropriate or not.  If anyone has input on this, I'd be happy to hear it!

Edited by StemCellFan

1 hour ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Hi everyone, 

48 minutes ago, StemCellFan said:

I've lived in the midwest my whole life.  For interviews, a nice pair of long pants, a button-up shirt, and a long-sleeve jacket is all I needed for job interviews.  For business casual, a long-sleeve sweater over a button-up with pants will work.  I've always found that pants are warmer than wearing a skirt with tights, so I've opted for that (as a woman).  There are sweater/fleece-lined tights or leggings you can wear under a skirt/dress that will keep you warm, though.

For outdoor walking, you'll want a warm coat.  Wool or down coats and parkas have worked best for me.  A hat, scarf, and gloves to go with it.  If you have a parka with a hood, you should be okay without a hat if you're worried about messing up your hair.  I would think your interviewers will understand though.

Shoes can be tricky.  Men can still wear nice shoes, but I'd make sure to check the bottoms for good traction so you don't slip in the snow/slush/ice.  Women should wear thicker dress shoes or short booties wth traction.  I'd advise against flats because I don't think they have good traction in the snow, they're thin, and my feet get really cold in them, but to each their own.  And heels have always been uncomfortable for me, and you definitely don't want to wear them outside in the winter.  If you want to invest in a good pair of winter boots, that should be okay.  I'm on the fence as to whether nice riding boots are interview appropriate or not.  If anyone has input on this, I'd be happy to hear it!

Also a midwesterner born & raised, have had the pleasure of being born in Illinois, growing up in Michigan, and attending undergrad in Ohio. Based on the interviews I have so far, I will likely also end up staying in the area for grad school haha. 

My plan for interviews is a nice pair of dress slacks, a blouse, and a nice blazer/jacket. For me personally, I handle the cold pretty well, though, and might opt for tights and a skirt or dress with a jacket. One of my good friends at school is from Texas, and she swears by wearing fleece-lined tights under her pants in the winter! She also gets a nice pair when wearing them with a skirt or dress, and says she likes them a lot and she still looks very fashionable in them. 

Definitely seconding the warm coat. A parka will work and would definitely be acceptable, but I'm going the route of a wool dress coat for my going out to dinner with students etc an for my interviews. I would also personally say you'd be fine without a hat, but bring gloves for sure, and a scarf if you want one. 

Shoes are definitely the trickiest. Personally I won't be wearing flats, mostly because I think I look weird in them and they are horrible in the snow. Nice ankle booties with fitted pants or tights + skirt are always fashionable. Another option is to bring flats in your bag to the interview (I have a crossbody purse for this purpose + carrying a small notebook etc), and slipping them on for your faculty appointments. For men, the shoe situation is much easier. Get a nice pair of black/brown lace-up boots or something with good traction, make sure they look good with your dress slacks, and you're all set! Someone over on reddit recommended Clarks for good shoes that can handle midwestern weather. Personally women's shoes are so hard to pair for interview situations that I'm about to like go order a pair of men's, haha. 

My personal opinion is that some kinds of riding boots might be not exactly interview appropriate, but you could definitely make them work with the right skirt/shirt combo. My plan is to use my riding boots for my business casual dinner outfits, with dark pants/jeans and a nice cowl neck sweater or blouse + cardigan. You'll look perfectly nice for any outing with the students/etc, and throw on a nice wool coat, cute scarf/gloves, and a nice purse/bag, and you'll look sharp and comfortable.

Another thing about the midwest is PLEASE check the weather before you go. Yes, it will likely be cold and snowy if you're visiting in January/February, but sometimes we get weird freaky weeks of unexpectedly warm weather, especially in later Feb and early March. Nothing says midwest like watching 5 inches of snow melt away because for some reason it decided to be in the mid-50's one week in February, and then promptly receiving another 5 inches the next week. 

Good luck on your interviews! And enjoy the midwest! :D

53 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Another thing about the midwest is PLEASE check the weather before you go. Yes, it will likely be cold and snowy if you're visiting in January/February, but sometimes we get weird freaky weeks of unexpectedly warm weather, especially in later Feb and early March. Nothing says midwest like watching 5 inches of snow melt away because for some reason it decided to be in the mid-50's one week in February, and then promptly receiving another 5 inches the next week. 

Yes!  How could I forget about unpredictable midwest weather?  Please check and feel free to bring back up clothing in case the weather is wacky.

I'm from the Notre Dame area and we are currently in the middle of a deep freeze! Definitely wear lots of layers (at least two pairs of pants, shirt within a sweatshirt/sweater within your jacket). It's also helpful to have multiple pairs of socks on hand, since it's easy for the snow to melt and get into your shoes/boots. For interviews, I just layer extra clothes on top of my interview gear. Baggier sweatpants and sweatshirts are great for this! When I get to the interview location, I'll take off the extra layers.  

ND is pretty good about plowing its sidewalks in the winter, but they also use a lot of salt to keep the sidewalks clear. I would bring a pair of not-great shoes for walking across campus, and then a second, nicer pair for interviews. The salt leaves stains on shoes :( If you have time, there are commercial waterproofer's for shoes, which are a huge help in the winter. 

If you let me know where your interview location is (building-wise at Notre Dame), I can try to find you a route that cuts through other buildings and avoids the cold (we don't have tunnels, so students get creative with their walks to class). The issue with ND is that parking is far away from the academic buildings, which makes winters a little rough. Besides the cold and snow, the campus is really quite wonderful, and I'm really excited that you get to see it. If you get a chance/aren't turned off by the cold, I would also recommend taking a walk around the lakes. It's really pretty in the winter! Best of luck with interviews! 

IMG_5867.JPG

Edited by fullwaverectifier

South Louisiana to a faculty position in Iowa here, and the shock was real!

For interview dressing, I find the most versatile thing I own for cold weather is a nice black woolen overcoat. Over a suit, I'm pretty warm and snow resistant down to 0ish. I tend to wear jeans and wool coat with a nice shirt when I'm visiting places, or the more formal wool suit  

For non-interview dressing, layers are key- and a really good jacket. Layers are a curse going into warm buildings, and sometimes having one thick outer layer you can shuck is great. 

I'm also a fan of nice "working" leather boots (roping boots are my go-to) for interviews. They look good, and are durable enough that I don't have to worry about them in snow/rain. 

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention (or I just overlooked it), is a nice pair of leather gloves.  Not the rough-leather kind that you would use for working outside, but a nice pair of leather gloves. I would also suggest hats.  I wear the ones with ear flaps for less dressy occasions and, honestly, a nice felt fedora looks great and keeps your head warmer than if you went without. Sunglasses are a must.  They will help keep the blowing wind out of your eyes and sun reflected off snow can be blinding. I'm an Oklahoma transplant in Minnesota. 

I don't like leather gloves personally, but s good pair of gloves is a must! In addition to (or in place of) a hat, a good scarf. That has the versatility of covering head, ears, neck, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Eigen said:

I don't like leather gloves personally, but s good pair of gloves is a must! In addition to (or in place of) a hat, a good scarf. That has the versatility of covering head, ears, neck, etc. 

I only do leather for dressier meetings.  I have my hot pink Columbia snowboarding gloves for the rest of the time.  Thankfully, I only have to visit UMN and, like real gophers, they have an amazing tunnel system.

Good gloves are crucial, as is a quality scarf. I also wouldn't forgo the hat, but I get insanely cold when my ears are cold. I also second/third/whatever every recommendation about ensuring your boots are waterproof. Walking in slush is a terrible way to discover your shoes aren't as waterproof (note: water resistant isn't enough!) as you want them to be. Salt does stain, so be choosy about the materials. Merrell, Clark's, and Keen have options that will look professional and keep you warm and dry. (Check their outlets and online for deals.)

If you're going to go the long johns route, I'd go with silk or a wool blend material. You want something with natural fibers that will breathe so you don't get sweaty or clammy. Affordable options abound if you search the internet and/or outlet stores (the Columbia outlet is a virtual gift from the heavens when relocating from a warm place to a colder one). 

It's an adjustment if you end up moving to the Midwest full-time. I personally have never gotten used to cold weather after growing up in Florida but, plenty of others adapt and love it. Try to make the most of your visit and not just sit inside where it's toasty and warm, as tempting as that may be. Good luck!

I'd be really careful with long johns on an interview. For instance, my school has heat that keeps some rooms around 78 in the winter... If you're wearing long johns and meeting in those rooms? Hugely uncomfortable. Even just sweating in people's offices during conversations!

It makes me bias more to a heavy outer jacket that I can shed easily to be comfortable in a well heated interior. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. Thanks for all the suggestions. Winter clothes in Texas is a joke compared to what y'all wear in Midwest or East Coast. Bought what I need for winter. Flying up to Columbus OH from Dallas-Fort Worth TX for my first interview at OSU. If anyone here is interviewing at OSU later this week, I will see you there. 

28 minutes ago, factanonverba said:

Any suggestions on men's headwear in cold weathers? Many people suggest wearing a hat, but I am not so sure about wearing a beanie while I'm in a dress coat/suit. What types of hats would you suggest?

Hmmmm. Not a man, but I would suggest maybe earmuffs if you're worried about your hair. Plenty of men also wear hats (dark-colored beanies, for example), and I suppose you could always carry a comb or hairbrush in your bag/briefcase if you're so inclined (I know personally as a woman, I carry a hairbrush in my purse). I personally won't wear any hats on my interviews, but I also have long hair and am used to the temperatures. 

However, I also think that you could be just fine without a hat on interviews if you're worried about your hair, especially if you have a nice scarf to keep you warm. My opinion may be biased given that I'm a woman who's grown up in the midwest, but that's my take! Personally, I feel that a beanie in cold weather, even with a suit/dress coat for the outdoors would be acceptable and not at all outside of what I'm used to seeing here in Michigan/Ohio. My dad and brother are sitting here next to me, and they both agree!

Best of luck! :D

Edited by synapticcat

11 hours ago, factanonverba said:

Any suggestions on men's headwear in cold weathers? Many people suggest wearing a hat, but I am not so sure about wearing a beanie while I'm in a dress coat/suit. What types of hats would you suggest?

I'm not planning on wearing a hat unless it's in the single digits and I'm doing a significant amount of walking outdoors.  I'm a long-haired female though and usually my hair is enough to keep myself warm.  My husband wears a beanie, but he's bald and kind of has to.  I think you would be okay with a beanie, but if you're worried about hair, maybe there's a headband you can wear or earmuffs?  I know they make mens headbands, but they're mostly for athletic purposes.  Otherwise, I don't know if your coat has a hood or an attachable/detachable one, but you could use that if it has one.