FLAS 2018 Language Instructor Recommendation

hantoo

Hi! This is probably a question that will best be answered by someone who has or has had a FLAS in the past. I'm applying for a FLAS for the first time in Brazilian Portuguese. I am already fluent in Spanish language. For the application I need a recommendation from a language instructor. My question is, should that instructor be one of my former Spanish instructors, or is it meant to be a Portuguese instructor? I am a beginner in Portuguese and have never taken courses in that language before, which is why I am confused. In the FLAS eligibility instructions it says that graduate level applicants can be beginners in the language for which they are applying, so I assumed a recommendation from a Spanish instructor would be sufficient.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hello @hantoo,

If you've never formally taken the language any previous language instructor will suffice. It will probably be taken better coming from a Spanish instructor than, say, a Russian instructor, but that's just anecdotal. It's more important to have an instructor who can speak to your abilities with language learning.