7-8 years work exp before a PhD

Hi! 

Starting a new thread just in case. 

I have a bachelors in ECE from an international university, a Masters from UCSD in Signal and Image Processing and been working in the industry for close to

7-8 years in Video Compression and more recently in 3D Computer Vision. I want to apply for a PhD in AMATH(Applied Math) starting Fall 2019(mostly).

I am aware that I need to take the GRE Math Subject Exam and the General GRE as well.

I do not have any research papers so far.

I did lots of high school math competitive exams(dont think they count anymore).

I am only hoping to do well in Math Subject test to prove myself.

How realistic are my chances of a PhD Admit in AMATH? Will my work experience cost me a lot?

Anyone else in the same boat? 

@confused_girl

Welcome!

First off, most people here are not too familiar with applied math. Despite its title, this board tends to be predominantly stat applicants/faculty, so a lot of people will not be able to answer your questions really accurately, me included.

A great resource for you would be http://www.mathematicsgre.com/ . This is a site seems to swing pure math, but it's going to be a bit closer to what you're looking for.

That said, take my advice with a grain of salt. In my research over the past two years or so, applied math and engineering programs tends to be pretty closely related (often in the same college with pure math departments in another college), so I don't think your engineering degrees will hurt you too much compared to pure math applicants. With your lack of math, most programs are going to evaluate you based upon your Subject GRE test to be the indicator of how strong you are. If you score highly, I would think you'd be fine.

All the best!