Low GPA, chances of getting into MS in Stats

wodbs

Hi, I am a first time poster here. I am a junior majoring in Statistics and minoring in CS. I will be applying to MS in stats next Fall. I wanted to get an idea of what kind of schools I should be targeting. I have a low GPA due to medical reasons (mostly from freshman year), but I have been showing an upward trend. My biggest concern is that I have low grades in important math classes. I really want to go to grad school, but if it seems like too much of a reach for me, I will seriously reconsider grad school. So I would really welcome any honest opinions.

Institution: <5 public schools, <30 national universities according to US News 

Type: Domestic female Asian

Major: Statistics Minor: Computer Science

GPA: 3.2 (Stats GPA = 3.3, CS GPA = 3.5)

Courses: Calculus 3 (C), Intro to Probability (C+), Linear Algebra (C+), Intro to Theoretical Statistics (A), Data Mining (A), Computational Method in Statistics (B), Independent Study in Statistics (A), Topics in Biostatistics (B+), Statistical Principles in Problem Solving (A-), Programming and Data Structure (A), Discrete Math (B)

Research Experience: One Summer of research experience; Will be working on two research projects in the upcoming term 

Would welcome any feedback!

Edited by wodbs

• 1 month later...

Hello! 

I think it really depends on what schools you're looking at. While I was applying, I wanted to know my odds of getting accepted. Some schools were honest and said that they look heavily at GPA, especially your math grades. And others told me that since I showed an upward trend, they would consider that. Since you have a medical reason, you should definitely let the schools know. I have a friend who also had a medical reason for a lower GPA, and he got into a lot of schools. 

So, my advice to you, is just apply to a wide range of different ranked schools and hope for the best! There are some programs that are more application based than theory. And anyone can correct me if I'm wrong- but I think more theory based programs look more heavily at your math grades . But as a affirmation, I don't think that you should completely lose hope of going to grad school.  

And if you don't get into grad school this round, gain some work experience and then apply again :). That seemed to have worked for a lot of my friends!

Best of luck. 

Since you are a domestic student your chances you be pretty good at most middle and lower tier programs.  Your grades are going to prevent you from getting into a great MS program but you should have options.   I don’t think you will get funding but if you are paying for it the standards will be a lot less.  Is your goal to stop at and MS and work in industry or get into a PhD program?  Your initial post was a little old so do you have a list now?

YOO don't lose hope!!

I was in a similar situation with around a 3.2x my junior year, turned it around by the time I graduated and was able to get into multiple top tier programs, including a top 3. It wasn't an easy road, but definitely worth it and very fulfilling. Luckily you haven't taken many math classes, you can still turn it around.PM me

Edited by ErdosJr