Monkey Wrench - RA Job???

Archaeodan

So, I'm starting to hear back from schools and have gotten 1 funded visit and 1 interview, so that's nice, but a monkey wrench just got thrown into the party. A friend of mine is a PI at one of the big prestigious marine bio labs and the research assistant position I applied for months ago just decided it's down to me and 2 others. So, obviously nothing is definite for either the job or PhD, but what would you do? Between a job you badly want with potential to be a career or a PhD, which do you pick? I know I should have this figured out this far into the process, but the big monkey wrench is that the two schools I've heard back from have may not allow me to do the project I want, but the RA position will... 

@Archaeodan That's amazing, congrats! Where and when did you hear back, if you don't mind me asking? I'm getting nervous... 

Well, can't you just continue the RA selection process and then decide once they give you an offer? I would wait to see if they offer you a position, and if they do, then be straight forward with them and explain the situation. If you don't want to do that, then I would decide which is more important to you: not going for a PhD and getting to do the research you want, or going for a PhD and then later do research. It seems that the PhD might help you with long-term goals, whereas the RA position would be a bit like instant gratification in that you get to do the research you want, now. 

Edited by phyanth

University of Georgia, Integrative Conservation and Geography, funded visit. Heard three-ish weeks ago.

Penn State, Anthropology, Skype interview. Heard yesterday.

The nervousness is real, man, I knoooow. I'm definitely just going to continue the process, as nothing is set in stone now. But, the issue is more that the RA position is at a research institute that I kinda want to work at long-term. They also do offer PhDs there, but neither I nor my PI friend know how that works. So, it could be that I get both. I don't know. I don't think there's anything I can know or do now, but does it seem crazy to be considering an RA position over PhD? 

If the research institute is somewhere you think you will work at long-term, then I would definitely take that into serious consideration. It also depends on why you want to get your PhD! If you're going in order to secure a job similar to the one that you are being considered for, then there's no point in getting a PhD. If you want to run your own lab, head some research, and/or teach, then you need a PhD. 

I definitely don't think it's crazy to consider it! Especially if that RA position could lead to you getting a PhD there; that's a win-win :) And at the end of the day, the RA is research that you know you want to do/will like. There's no guarantee elsewhere

Edited by phyanth

You could also see if you could present the job with the PhD offers and see if they could do something comparable. I’m not sure how that would work but you could see if they would so a special admissions type thing. Just a thought 

Hey @archeodan-- I am currently applying to PhD programs but ended up delaying my applications for 3+ years for what sounds like a very similar opportunity and would be happy to think through pros/cons.  Feel free to DM me.  I will say-- I have LOVED my job for the past three years, which has only encouraged me to return to school, but has also given me room to further develop my research interests.  Let me know if I can be any help!