Chemical Engineering MS/PhD 2018 Applicants

MrGenius

Hey all ..

I hope that this topic serves as a way for us to share what we know about the progress of the review process. If you have heard back from a school and/or know when we might expect a decision, I am sure that many of us will appreciate that.

What schools have you applied to? Have you heard from any of them? Were you contacted by any of them? Have you sent an email to inquire about something and they responded with something that maybe of interest to us?

Thanks in advance for sharing ...

I also heard back from Michigan with acceptance and funding on the 3rd for a PhD. I was emailed by the Chemical Engineering Department and told to await an official email from the graduate school. Yet to hear back from any of the other schools that I applied to.

I got a call from Berkeley last friday morning for chemE PhD program from a professor. He said I should be receiving information for a visit weekend soon via email but I haven't got anything yet. When do you guys think I should ask admissions when they will schedule the visit? It's making me nervous that I haven't got any formal acceptance yet other than a voicemail from the professor to call him back!!

Also, keep your ears to the ground. Notices are definitely going out right now. 

33 minutes ago, jwf said:

I got a call from Berkeley last friday morning for chemE PhD program from a professor. He said I should be receiving information for a visit weekend soon via email but I haven't got anything yet. When do you guys think I should ask admissions when they will schedule the visit? It's making me nervous that I haven't got any formal acceptance yet other than a voicemail from the professor to call him back!!

First, congratulations on the great news. Second, don’t worry too much; Friday is the end of the week, and it is still Monday. I would try to call the prof back, and follow-up toward the end of the week if you don’t receive anything by then. 

Hello everyone. I am an international student and have applied to 8 schools but I haven't heard from any of them. I think that int. students may receive decision later. I surely am anxious and worried, though.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:45 AM, MrGenius said:

First, congratulations on the great news. Second, don’t worry too much; Friday is the end of the week, and it is still Monday. I would try to call the prof back, and follow-up toward the end of the week if you don’t receive anything by then. 

Got the message after the first business day. Also got a notice from Rice. Can't wait to hear from others. Good luck, everyone.

What are the approximate time ranges for each school? I know MIT and Stanford already starting accepting, is it safe to assume they're basically done by now. I also applied to UCSB and Georgia Tech but it's hard to tell for them either. I applied to two other schools but starting to feel like I should have applied to more :o . 

13 hours ago, Pancakes said:

I am an international student and just got an acceptance letter from UT-Austin!

minimum $30,000 stipend + tuition + health care

Congratulations!

Are you accepted to a certain group? Did you mention a certain professor in your application?

On 1/10/2018 at 12:10 AM, jwf said:

Got the message after the first business day. Also got a notice from Rice. Can't wait to hear from others. Good luck, everyone.

are you an international student or us student? I have also applied to Rice but not yet received any mail. BTW what's your profile?

On 1/8/2018 at 5:09 PM, jwf said:

Hi, I am applying to UC Berkeley too for the CBE PhD program. Could you tell me your POI initials?

On 1/14/2018 at 2:21 AM, MrGenius said:

Congratulations!

Are you accepted to a certain group? Did you mention a certain professor in your application?

Thank you! They just sent me an offer letter. I did not mention a particular professor in my SOP, but I mentioned a specific field of study. I'll make a contact with a professor that I would like to work with if I decide to go UT.

18 minutes ago, Pancakes said:

Thank you! They just sent me an offer letter. I did not mention a particular professor in my SOP, but I mentioned a specific field of study. I'll make a contact with a professor that I would like to work with if I decide to go UT.

Thanks for the info, and best of luck. UT is a great school (I went to UT as an undergrad)

29 minutes ago, MrGenius said:

Thanks for the info, and best of luck. UT is a great school (I went to UT as an undergrad)

Thank you! I'm glad that you went UT. I want to work in Process Systems Engineering field (Professor Baldea or Edgar).

Best of luck, too!

On 1/14/2018 at 6:51 AM, surya2909 said:

are you an international student or us student? I have also applied to Rice but not yet received any mail. BTW what's your profile?

US. 

Biochemistry and ChE double major from UT-Austin. 3.9 GPA. Decent GRE. Research exp through all of undergrad in various biology research positions. Two summer research fellowships, one from my school and another one in medical research at a medical school. Awarded a small ChE scholarship for academic performance. Currently a research technician at a cancer center. No NSF grant or other external funding. 

On 1/15/2018 at 8:08 AM, ChemEngApp said:

Hi, I am applying to UC Berkeley too for the CBE PhD program. Could you tell me your POI initials?

SJM! I am so excited to visit. 

21 hours ago, Pancakes said:

Thank you! I'm glad that you went UT. I want to work in Process Systems Engineering field (Professor Baldea or Edgar).

Best of luck, too!

Baldea is a great teacher. I took his course in undergrad. Really enjoyed his style. 

4 minutes ago, Excelsior! said:

Congratulations! Was it an official letter with offer or was it a mass email so everybody admitted got one?

It was an email with my offer letter and details about the upcoming visit weekends!