A calling to all BME FALL 2008 Applicants:):)

crossedfingers

To the guy that asked about Purdue I got in and they are having the visit to campus on Feb 15, so you should call if your really interested.

Well, crap. I guess my 2 summers of research and my publication count for nil with Purdue. I wonder what exactly they were looking for???

On the less bitter side, my research interests didn't mesh that well with that department so that may have been it. That, and I never contacted professors there to see if they were taking students - very stupid move on my part! Still, there were a number of professors I would've liked to work with and I would have appreciated having at least a chance...

I don't think I'm going to bother calling. I'll just wait for my rejection letter to show up sometime in March or April.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the guy that asked about Purdue I got in and they are having the visit to campus on Feb 15,

so ure going? will see ya there then mate!

ps: are u reading up or anything? I really dont know what to prepare for. I mean the itinerary had a bunch of interviews (informal?). dunno...

wanna check out west Lafayette and see if there is something beyond the corn fields.

Hi all, this is my first post. I had 2 questions:

1. Has anyone heard anything from Stanford BME?

2. I have an interview with MIT and Berkeley so far and I am wondering what this means. Are these formal interviews they use to narrow down their selection or is it an informal event where they are trying to show you the campus and recruit you?

Hi all, this is my first post. I had 2 questions:

1. Has anyone heard anything from Stanford BME?

2. I have an interview with MIT and Berkeley so far and I am wondering what this means. Are these formal interviews they use to narrow down their selection or is it an informal event where they are trying to show you the campus and recruit you?

I think you might want to call and ask what are the expectations of the interview... i think different schools have different expectations... and maybe re-post your findings!

so ure going? will see ya there then mate!

ps: are u reading up or anything? I really dont know what to prepare for. I mean the itinerary had a bunch of interviews (informal?). dunno...

wanna check out west Lafayette and see if there is something beyond the corn fields.

Cool man, Im Chris by the way, look forward to meeting ya. I'm reading up on two of the professors, but I'm positive it will be informal. One of them sent me an email asking to meet him, he does like CARS microscopy, haha and I had no idea what it was so I haveto make sure I read up on it. Good luck with your other schools.

what about U PITT? They have recruitment weekend in Mid march, shouldnt acceptances be sent out by now???

UMN: We are currently reviewing applications at this time and expect to send out official notifications by the end of March or early April. ( THATS FREAKING LATE right?) I think i should quit being a Minnesotan... reach out and see the rest of the US!

thanks for the UMn update. I talked to BU people and the lady told me they got over 400 applications for 18 spots. she also said that they meet every friday to talk about applications. the open house is in end of this month and the end of next month. my jhu interview is on the 18th. anyone knows anything about jhu's interview?

I talked to BU people and the lady told me they got over 400 applications for 18 spots. she also said that they meet every friday to talk about applications. the open house is in end of this month and the end of next month. my jhu interview is on the 18th. anyone knows anything about jhu's interview?

ure kidding.. 400 for 18? wow.. and they wont let us know till end of this month.. maybe next.. :( There really stretching it this time!

DO you happen to know who gets to know about their admission decision first: Phd's or Masters kids?

you guys wont believe the cruelest joke that can ever be played on a prospective grad, i think was played on me today! I was sitting in boring process control, when my phone rang. The area code was 919. and i was like. .OH MY GOSSHH that is a freaking DURHAM number!!!!! I squirmed in my seat for the rest of the 23 minutes. dashed outta class only to find out that yes it was durham number, but it also was a freaking wrong number! I mean seriously! WHat are the chances!!!

gosh i have got to get a life.

Hey Crossedfingers, Duke's interview are either on 29th Feb or 28th March (you can choose). I am notified and would be going on 29th Feb (could be an advance notice since I am an international candidate). Anyway.. you already have a fully funded position at Purdue don't u?......

Hey Crossedfingers, Duke's interview are either on 29th Feb or 28th March (you can choose). I am notified and would be going on 29th Feb (could be an advance notice since I am an international candidate). Anyway.. you already have a fully funded position at Purdue don't u?......

hey good for u miketakena. Keep us posted about how your interview goes.

I do have a fully funded position at Purdue, but human heart wants just a little bit more:):) plus wouldnt hurt if my options were a little bit more open!

good luck!

ok. Now i'm certain of one thing: they do get back to PhD kids before the MS! I wasn't sure I wanted to spend all 5 yrs in MN, and applied to their MS (thesis) program instead. UMN sent me that stupid notification even when they have already begun accepting students! offended to the core. first because i thought my application fee deserved a truthful response. second: i thought they'd treat a fellow Minnesotan better.

so scratch the previous post, U minnesota people have begun their calls too.

Dude, the post might be a lie. I talked to the graduate coordinator couple of days ago and he said that they will start sending acceptances in the next few weeks. dont trust everything you read online.

I thought you were an international student not from Minnesota ?

The Minnesota post was mine. I wouldn't give up just yet.

a) The guy said the committee unanimously agreed on my app. I say this not to brag, but because maybe there is a fast track for that case, whereas normally there is more of a debate/process to it.

B) The visiting weekends aren't until March 28-30 and April 4-6. With weekends that far out, it's fair to say they are probably not done admitting people.

keep hope alive.

oooh, now I can't wait to hear back from Minnesota! It makes sense that you would hear back first if your application was teh awesome. I imagine there's a little more back-and-forth with professors if your case isn't as clear cut.

I won't be shocked if I don't get in though...again, my research fit was not the best for the department and for whatever reason, I just didn't feel as confident about my application to there.

B) The visiting weekends aren't until March 28-30 and April 4-6. With weekends that far out, it's fair to say they are probably not done admitting people.

keep hope alive.

Good for you 123456789. Yeh probably with the visit weekends out that far, it could be possible that they are still looking over applications. I was just a little surprised that the day after they sent me that email, I see the gradcafe had results of someone's acceptance. Almost felt cheated! I don't really think I will hear back from UMN anyhow. My application was a half arsed attempt, mainly cuz I've been here so long. And as christina said, I don't think my research tied very well with anyone in the department. Oh well.. there is always the patiently waiting till they debate it through part

I thought you were an international student not from Minnesota ?

I am an international student, but I did my undergraduate from a school affiliated to UMN, two hours north from the Twin Cities. I've worked on summer internships in the Twin Cities area. I don't know what your other school options are 123456789, but dont rule out MN based on the weather. The city has an awesome life of its own. If your big on the outdoors, there is so much to do, irrespective of the season. I loved the place in the summer. Maybe the reason they have visit weekends that late is so that they do not scare off new people with all the piles of snow! The school facility is pretty neat too. I loved the fact that downtown Minneapolis was just a 10 minute ride away and accessible by bus ( even at 1.00 am???)

I got a call from UMN too...I got in! Seems like a lucky day. :) AND it was from one of the professors I was interested in working with. Awesome!

I hope I'll be able to go to the visit weekend in March. If I haven't already committed to another school by then I'll probably be there.

I got a call from UMN too...I got in! Seems like a lucky day. :) AND it was from one of the professors I was interested in working with. Awesome!

Congrats! Feels good doesn't it?

I don't know what your other school options are 123456789, but dont rule out MN based on the weather. The city has an awesome life of its own. If your big on the outdoors, there is so much to do, irrespective of the season. I loved the place in the summer. Maybe the reason they have visit weekends that late is so that they do not scare off new people with all the piles of snow!

Most of my (realistic) options involve a fair amount of snow and cold, though I hear Minnesota is in a class of its own in that regard. Interestingly, my girlfriend is applying to their plant biology dept and they had their visiting weekend in the middle of January. The temperature apparently didn't get above 10F.

On a completely unrelated note, I just learned that my first acceptance offer was from a department that mistook my Masters GPA (excellent) for my undergrad GPA (less than stellar). It doesn't sound like they are going to rescind the offer, but I'm a little uneasy about potentially not being the superstar they thought they were getting.

I got a call from UMN too...I got in!

Cheers to Christina:):) If you were at dublin tonite, I would buy you the drinks :):)

On a completely unrelated note, I just learned that my first acceptance offer was from a department that mistook my Masters GPA (excellent) for my undergrad GPA (less than stellar). It doesn't sound like they are going to rescind the offer, but I'm a little uneasy about potentially not being the superstar they thought they were getting.

I still wouldn't be worried. Sometimes people get their undergraduate degrees in a field that they have no interest in. Its really hard to work for something you couldnt care less about. But since you have a masters already ( with a great GPA), I think you've proved your point. Especially if the masters was BME related, you are still the super star~~~~