A calling to all BME FALL 2008 Applicants:):)

crossedfingers

Thanks, buddy.

I just checked my e-mail. Nothing there. Do you think I should call the department? I remember I called them a few weeks ago and she told me no information could be given over the phone.

UPenn said they can't be encouraging if the applicant doesn't get a response by Feb.15.

eh, I don't know. I haven't tried calling any programs (just emailed the University of Washington that one time) since I'm sort of phone-phobic but if you're that anxious, I guess you might as well.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found someone posted his rejection from UPenn on Feb.16. He got notified by e-mail to check the web system.

Anyone else got any response from UPenn?

I also got rejected by UPenn on the 16th via email to see the website, my GRE are a little low but I was hoping my publications / research / undergrad school would pull me through to the interview. Their interviews are the weekend of the 1st of March, so if you haven't found out yet you will soon if you got in. oh well 3/5 so far.

In: Dartmouth phd, drexel phd, case western mtle phd,

out: cornell phd, upenn phd,

waiting: mit, brown, bu, rpi, case bme, umich

Thanks a lot. And, congratulations! You've got several offers already.

I think you're quite right about the factors' weighing in the application. Research accomplishments and GPA (undergrad school) are much more important than GRE. Is my opinion wrong? Of course, personal connections, either through your advisor or yourself, to the target programs seem to play a decisive role.

You said they'll have an interview in the 1st weekend in March. So, you got to know from someone who got the invitation, right? Would you mind telling me when that guy got the invitation? Thanks.

I also got rejected by UPenn on the 16th via email to see the website, my GRE are a little low but I was hoping my publications / research / undergrad school would pull me through to the interview. Their interviews are the weekend of the 1st of March, so if you haven't found out yet you will soon if you got in. oh well 3/5 so far.

In: Dartmouth phd, drexel phd, case western mtle phd,

out: cornell phd, upenn phd,

waiting: mit, brown, bu, rpi, case bme, umich

You said they'll have an interview in the 1st weekend in March. So, you got to know from someone who got the invitation, right? Would you mind telling me when that guy got the invitation? Thanks.

Hi xzjohn,

The person who got asked to interview is my friend who found out a week ago I think. He knew a professor at UPenn (connections!) though so I do not know if it was official. He said the the interviews are actually over a few weekends starting at very end of February (1st weekend in March) but they have 2 or 3 rounds. So I guess they have not sent the official interview letters out yet? So they must send them out soon since March is in basically a week. Hope that helps and good luck to everyone

and ps..i like to hope that research/publications/school/people you know are more important than 1 test! Thats what I have heard from my professors anyway.

first rejection: Stanford.

Was the school I least expected to get into, and I'm definitely just glad to have an answer. (Less glad about the $105)

Oh well. I imagine this marks the beginning of the rejection phase. BRING IT ON, BITCHES.

Thanks for your info. Maybe I should call the dept. tomorrow.

Just got rejection e-mail from Stanford and Caltech. I expected this even though. Wish others good luck.

Hi xzjohn,

The person who got asked to interview is my friend who found out a week ago I think. He knew a professor at UPenn (connections!) though so I do not know if it was official. He said the the interviews are actually over a few weekends starting at very end of February (1st weekend in March) but they have 2 or 3 rounds. So I guess they have not sent the official interview letters out yet? So they must send them out soon since March is in basically a week. Hope that helps and good luck to everyone

and ps..i like to hope that research/publications/school/people you know are more important than 1 test! Thats what I have heard from my professors anyway.

Hm, when did you apply to the Stanford Bioengineering program? I've seen people getting responses from them but I haven't received or heard anything yet... and their interviews seem pretty soon...

I'd call and find out. Cuz I think they did their round of rejections and interview calls. If you havent heard back you could be on their infamous waitlist.

I don't get it. This is an email I received from a Duke professor today. (it was in response to an email sent out way back in the day !)

"Thank you for your interest in my lab. However I think your strengths and interests are very closely related to Dr XXX and Dr XXX. I would contact them soon. I wish you well in your studies"

So he is telling me that I wasted half a paragraph on my SOP by indicating an interest in his lab.. but now what? Should i gather the rest of my pride and call the others? Or is he just telling me in plain terms that my application just got tossed into the garbage?

i don't get it.

i got into one of my safety school's today.

has anyone else heard back from BU? Someone posted on the results section that BU is doing 'waves of applications' - whatever that means. I haven't seen a rejection yet, so I'm hoping the tide is still coming in.

Miketakena and ahug: did you have your visit Duke weekend yet? How did it go?

My roommate came back from a visit to Harvard and Columbia. She didn't really like the people there. Said they were too full of themselves. I wonder if it were just her, or all people in these top notch colleges act the same.

I'd call and find out. Cuz I think they did their round of rejections and interview calls. If you havent heard back you could be on their infamous waitlist.

I just received an email from them today. I was rejected :(. Oh well.

So far, Bio/medical Engineering programs (in order of preference):

1. UC-Berkeley/UCSF - interviewed, waiting response (but they told us we were all pretty much accepted)

2. University of Washington - interview at the end of March

3. Stanford - rejected

4. Yale - rejected

5. Harvard - waiting

For future applicants, my qualifications are:

Top engineering school (Chemical Engineering, 4.6/5.0)

GREs - 500V/750Q/5.0A

2 publications

I've worked in 4 labs (ranging from 3 month internships to 1 year)

Oh hey! You were at UCB/UCSF on 25/26th also? Did we meet with Liepmann together (seeing your GPA scale, I think we probably did!)?

I haven't heard back from Stanford BioE myself...

You probably remember my status on some schools. I'm still waiting on a program at your school, but another department at your school rejected me by mail today :(

Yeah I went to the Duke thing and really like the research going on. I also won an extra fellowship. But to be honest I can't see myself living in NC, the university is beautiful but the surrounding area holds very little excitement. I managed to get a look at the REAL Durham - I would suggest that anyone ready to go there take the number 6 and 7 buses around the area. I guess if you're married (like many of the grads there are) the slow life might be in order but I think I'm too young for that at the moment. If Berkeley gets back with a yes I would accept immediately.

Oh hey! You were at UCB/UCSF on 25/26th also? Did we meet with Liepmann together (seeing your GPA scale, I think we probably did!)?

I haven't heard back from Stanford BioE myself...

You probably remember my status on some schools. I'm still waiting on a program at your school, but another department at your school rejected me by mail today :(

lol, I think we did meet Liepmann together... he's quite an interesting person...

Stanford sent me an email that I was rejected (although I thought I was being wait-listed). Maybe you're being wait-listed? Plus, Berkeley/UCSF is good option :) .

I wonder at what point do you just write off "no reply" as a rejection? I've still heard nothing from BU, though it seems like they're still sending out both acceptances and rejections. Nothing from Purdue yet either - I emailed Jennifer last month and she said they would keep admitting through the end of March. I know it's still early March, but this thread seems fairly dead and there are very few new results for biomedical engineering.

Oh yes, nothing from Case Western either. After that cryptic email suggesting I might be invited to their visit day, I never heard a peep.

Whoever posted on the results section about the BU wave of applications was right. I called BU two days ago to find out the status of my application and the woman (Cleopatra?) told me that my application was scheduled up for review today. So apparently these people will make a decision and by Monday mail out my letter. It kinda freaked me out. Christina if you're in the same boat as I and wondering what the hell is going on, definitely call them up.

On a different note, I got a very cryptic message from UC ( and at this point in the process? I thought they had made all their decisions???). Well anyway the email said I should 'expect someone to contact me' by Monday March 10. Which makes no sense, who wants to contact me, why do they want to contact me, is this a freaking interview, atleast f**king tell me if it means I'm in!!! Seriously some one has to teach these people proper articulation.

in other words, don't write off 'no reply' as rejection. cuz apparently as the ball is in their court, they can do whatever they want, at whatever pace they chose, in whatever way suits them best :evil: :arrow: :o