Conflicting Interview Dates

Timemachines

Hi all - I hate to bring up a topic that may have been discussed here already, but Im looking for specifics in terms of appropriate wording, and responses that have been well-received. 

I received an interview invitation that will conflict with a prior commitment to another interview. Earlier this week I received an invite over the phone, and as such, had to immediately tell the PI that a program had reached out very early on in the cycle to extend an invite, to which I committed. The PI was very kind, communicative and flexible and assigned  a different time for me to attend. I am concerned about sounding ungrateful or self-important by asking for an alternate date option via email and want to know if any of you have experienced this or found that there was particular language not to use in the response email regarding these conflicts.

I already have two interviews on the same day and anticipate receiving another one that falls on the same day. In my case, I reached out to one of the schools and asked if they would accommodate a different date or Skype interview. They declined and said they would only provide alt options to international students. I reached out to the other school and they offered a Skype interview, though I am likely going to interview there in person and decline the other one that conflicted. Honestly, I think most schools are understanding of this and try to work around it. Some schools aren’t though and that’s just how it is. I would be as open and honest as possible but wouldn’t reveal the other school or even that it is another interview - Just a prior commitment that you are unable to reschedule. I’d love to hear how you resolve this though! It’s not a problem that I anticipated having. 

30 minutes ago, Psychologyandpizza said:

I already have two interviews on the same day and anticipate receiving another one that falls on the same day. In my case, I reached out to one of the schools and asked if they would accommodate a different date or Skype interview. They declined and said they would only provide alt options to international students. I reached out to the other school and they offered a Skype interview, though I am likely going to interview there in person and decline the other one that conflicted. Honestly, I think most schools are understanding of this and try to work around it. Some schools aren’t though and that’s just how it is. I would be as open and honest as possible but wouldn’t reveal the other school or even that it is another interview - Just a prior commitment that you are unable to reschedule. I’d love to hear how you resolve this though! It’s not a problem that I anticipated having. 

exactly - this is my second time applying and ive had a very different outcome, in terms of interview invitations. Im trying to at least give myself a rule of thumb to step away from replying to an email immediately and really thinking about how to word my response. Its relieving to at least know that others are running into this

1 hour ago, Timemachines said:

exactly - this is my second time applying and ive had a very different outcome, in terms of interview invitations. Im trying to at least give myself a rule of thumb to step away from replying to an email immediately and really thinking about how to word my response. Its relieving to at least know that others are running into this

It seems like many many programs are hosting interviews on the same days. I’ve been waiting as long as I can to RSVP because I’m waiting to hear from other programs I know are on the same day. I hope your interviews go well!!

On 1/9/2018 at 9:11 PM, Psychologyandpizza said:

I'm curious about this...Why wouldn't you reveal you're interviewing at another school? In my opinion (and experience), it is a good sign for the other school that their candidate is being evaluated at another school - it means the candidate in question is a qualified one.

I believe honesty is the best policy, and I would tell the second place that I was invited to School X and I said yes, so I need to reschedule the second one. The reason some schools reach out to their candidates as early as possible (i.e., mid-December) is so that the candidate is booked with their school earlier than School Y or Z.

Hope this helps - I'm not disputing anything, I'm offering another perspective.

Edited by Nut-ella
clarification

11 minutes ago, Nut-ella said:

I'm curious about this...Why wouldn't you reveal you're interviewing at another school? In my opinion (and experience), it is a good sign for the other school that their candidate is being evaluated at another school - it means the candidate in question is a qualified one.

I believe honesty is the best policy, and I would tell the second place that I was invited to School X and I said yes, so I need to reschedule the second one. The reason some schools reach out to their candidates as early as possible (i.e., mid-December) is so that the candidate is booked with their school earlier than School Y or Z.

Hope this helps - I'm not disputing anything, I'm offering another perspective.

No, I completely understand. In my particular instance, I did reveal that I was invited to interview at another school - did not keep that a secret at all. The school that I am attending the interview for emailed me in December before Christmas with the invitation. However, I have heard advice to do the opposite, I really do think it depends on the school and how much you are comfortable providing. Some programs could view that as you not being 'committed' to attending their program and so you might not want to reveal this right away (idk, this is direct advice I received from a mentor of mine in the field - though I chose to reveal my other interview). As with many things, it's situation and person-dependent and either route could be the best option for you!

4 minutes ago, Psychologyandpizza said:

No, I completely understand. In my particular instance, I did reveal that I was invited to interview at another school - did not keep that a secret at all. The school that I am attending the interview for emailed me in December before Christmas with the invitation. However, I have heard advice to do the opposite, I really do think it depends on the school and how much you are comfortable providing. Some programs could view that as you not being 'committed' to attending their program and so you might not want to reveal this right away (idk, this is direct advice I received from a mentor of mine in the field - though I chose to reveal my other interview). As with many things, it's situation and person-dependent and either route could be the best option for you!

I completely agree! I was advised to be honest, but in your case you were advised to be vague...I totally see it going either way. Both approaches are valid.

Best wishes to everyone going through this process. I hope everyone gets placed.