Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)

MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou

Members
  • Content count

    111
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou last won the day on March 17 2016

MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou had the most liked content!

About MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou

  • Rank
    Double Shot

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Application Season
    2017 Fall
  • Program
    Art History PhD

Recent Profile Visitors

1,607 profile views
  1. I still think it would be wiser to apply to PhD programs. For one thing, many PhD programs at major universities are now offering only joint MA/PhD programs, so you can always take the extra coursework if you need it (and already having an MA, you likely have an advantage over BAs in applying). Applying for another terminal master's program means going through the same application process in another two years. Look, I mean, bottom line is OP CAN apply to Williams or other master's programs. I'm simply saying I don't see any benefits to doing this that you wouldn't get from a PhD program, WITHOUT the two extra years.
  2. Even if the OP CAN get in, that still leaves the question of why they should complete a second master's in the same field. Unless they feel they received a poor education from the Courtauld (unlikely), why do it?
  3. I think modmuse is right - scientifically speaking, I'm not sure how accurate any conclusions you could draw from this list might be. Your list includes all types of positions (some which don't really require PhDs to obtain, though you may run into some trouble competing for higher-level jobs without one), and there is also no indication of how long someone has been in the field. Competition is really fierce right now, so out on the job market you'll be competing with people who DO have PhDs, even if you decide not to get one. Just my humble opinion! :-)
  4. LOL, you can call me Schwartz! :-) I think the differences between European-style and US-style programs are really interesting. I could be wrong (this is just what I've heard from a few prospective POIs who went to European-style programs), but U.S.-style programs seem to prepare you more for a career in academia. The people I've spoken with said the shorter PhD programs in Europe have little to no coursework, and are sometimes just a few years to write your dissertation under faculty guidance. You get your degree, but you don't necessarily get any of the professional development skills you need (teaching, other forms of academic writing/publishing, networking, grant applications, etc.). It might be something to look into.
  5. I'm glad I could help, and please feel free to PM me if you want to talk about grad school, dealing with terminal illness in your family, etc. (though I'm sure you well know how different, and sometimes isolating, life feels once your family is in a situation like this). My dad is stable on his current chemotherapy, but at some point it will stop working...and he has a rare cancer, so there are only so many forms of treatment available. So much of this is a waiting and hoping game - stability is a real blessing. In terms of deferment/leaves of absence, it's really important to know your options and how to enact them should you need to make a decision on short notice. Every school/field is different - programs in my field don't typically allow deferred admission, but most if not all schools allow leaves of absence, and my new school allows multiple leaves of absence for various reasons. I find some comfort in the fact that these options aren't "I have to quit the program" choices, but rather short-term solutions that allow me to attend to important issues in my life without having to worry about how it affects everything else.
  6. Hey Plume, first of all, I just want to say I'm so sorry that you are in this situation. It sounds like you and your parents are close, which makes it even harder. I'm in a really similar position - my father has had stage 4 cancer for the past few years, and I already live halfway across the country from my parents. I'm about to start a PhD program in the Fall, and I, too, sometimes feel conflicted about whether I should really be moving home to spend time with my family (we try to see each other as often as we can, about once every two months or so) - though living away from home, I felt guilty about this long before I ever applied to grad. school. My Dad promises he'll be around when I finish, but obviously he only has so much control over it. I think the right path for you is a very personal choice, based on what your relationship with your family is like, whether you feel you can handle continuing to live away from them, and to some extent, the progression of your dad's illness. I'm an only child and very close to my parents (my Mom also has a limited support structure to care for my Dad). However, my Dad is currently stable, and I know for sure that while he'd love to have me home, he doesn't want me to hold up my life, or miss a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, to move home and stay with him. That being said, if/when he starts to decline, I've given a lot of thought to coming home for a while. It's really, really hard sometimes to be so far away, especially when he was really sick from chemo, but there are some things that help us feel connected - Skype/FaceTime calls, visiting as often as we can, keeping open communication about how things are going on any given day. When things are tough, sometimes my parents just need a safe space to vent, share their fears, or have a good laugh. I find this kind of support to be a small way I can help from afar, both so I feel "hooked in" to what's happening and so I feel like I'm contributing something. It's important to remember, too, that you should have the option to take leaves of absence, if needed. At some point you will probably have to make a decision to put your Dad before anything else, but that time may not be now. Just out of curiosity, could you defer your admission if you needed to? Its also important to take care of YOU and your needs. It's not wrong, or unhealthy, or selfish to want to pursue your career during such a difficult time - if you don't maintain some semblance of sanity and happiness in your life, your Dad's illness can engulf your whole world and throw you into an emotional situation that is really difficult to crawl out of. On the flip side, graduate school can be so stressful that your Dad being sick could affect your ability to keep up with your studies. I think it's ultimately about finding an emotional balance that allows you to process your feelings about what your family is going through, while still getting up every day and being as present as you can be in your own life. Oh, and other forms of self-care -- talking to a therapist or clergy member, engaging in meditation, art or journaling, exercise, meals or coffee with friends -- any activities that can give you a short "pause" on what is probably always in the back of your mind. i don't know if anything I've said is helpful - I've actually never tried to talk to someone about how to deal with this. (It's also too late at night for me to be super eloquent - sorry!). I sincerely wish you and your family strength, health, and joy. Congratulations on your admissions!!
  7. I'm pretty sure it would make your admission a lot LESS likely, if you were considered at all. You already have a master's in the field, from the Courtauld no less - why would you need another? Master's programs are designed to teach you specific things, which you (I assume) already learned at the Courtauld - so the next logical step would be to apply for PhD programs. An admissions committee would be confused as to why you are applying for a duplicate degree, and likely would consider it a poor investment (of time and/or money). Getting a second MA in the same field probably also isn't going to help you get into a PhD program - you'd be better off taking one-off courses, or getting some research/publication/curatorial experience, etc. What is preventing you from applying for PhD programs now, if you are interested in continuing your education? If your goals for getting another MA are to study in the US and to stay in education longer, then I'm confused as to why you wouldn't consider PhD programs in the United States instead of, or in addition to, applying at Cambridge.
  8. I'm pretty sure I did. :-( I'm sorry!
  9. Congrats to the recent UCLA admits! May I ask if either of you were informed as to when they'd be sending out remaining notifications (positive or negative)? I'm sitting on an offer and while I'm certainly expecting a rejection, I just want to have all my options on the table before pulling the trigger. Thanks!!
  10. Thanks, Takeru - as usual, your advice is sound. Yeah, I know the "household contribution" thing may not be super compelling to them - I suppose that's my way of saying I'm not sure the stipend is enough to live on (but since I have an employed spouse, it's harder to argue that). As I said in my original post, I'm still waiting on two schools, though I'm pretty sure they are rejections at this point. I just want to have all of my options on the table before I make a choice. I think your "General now, specific later" approach is good - thanks again! :-)
  11. Hey there! My apologies for any repeat asking on this forum, but I'm seeking input on my approach to requesting additional funding. For backstory, I was accepted to a PhD program in northern CA with guaranteed funding for three years, with an additional two years presuming "normal" progression through the program. The financial offer I received (full tuition remission, including healthcare, and a $20k stipend for 9 months of the year, which includes a TAship and fellowship) is overall a viable offer, and I'm grateful to have received it. My main concerns are that living in CA is expensive, and as stipends can be taxed, that it will be less viable after taxes. The total award th school gave me this year is roughly $2k less than their calculated graduate student budget. I certainly don't want to come off as ungrateful, and want to handle this delicately. This is my only acceptance thus far, so comparing other offers to theirs isn't an option. My visiting day for the school is next Monday. I was thinking maybe I'd wait until after I'd met the graduate director in person (are they the right person to talk to about this matter?), then email her, thank her for the day, and phrase my questions along the line of "the offer I received is very generous, but I am concerned about being able to focus on my studies what with the high cost of living in the Bay Area, what I might have to pay in taxes on my stipend, etc. Can you recommend additional internal/external sources of funding for which I might qualify/apply?" I'm honestly nervous about just calling her up or emailing her about this before I put a face to my name, as well as generally looking ungrateful or even losing my offer. I really want to accept the offer (I'm waiting for a response from two other schools, but those are likely rejections), but I have to contribute to a household, and I'm concerned it won't be enough. I plan to ask about summer funding/ability to work outside of school on visiting day, but I don't know if I should ask about my funding offer specifically NOW, or later. i appreciate your advice - thank you! (And wow, did this turn out to be long)
  12. Congrats to the UCLA admit this morning!! :-D May I ask if you were the person who posted being waitlisted? I haven't heard anything from them and am just trying to gauge when I'll get notified either way. Thanks!
  13. Yeah, they've sent out three acceptances, but I haven't seen any rejections this year. Last year it was late February, so I'm sure they'll be coming soon. I also haven't heard anything from Bryn Mawr.
  14. Thanks Takeru - I wrote the department this morning, and you were right - there's a hold-up at the GSD level. I'm glad I checked, I just didn't want to be a bother!
  15. Hi all! I'm writing here before I take any sort of action, as it's entirely likely I'm just being impatient. I was accepted to a program via phone on February 14th, and in my conversation with the Grad. Studies Director she said she had the formal letters and such on her desk to send out next week. While I have not yet received a formal acceptance letter or funding offer, the online portal noted my acceptance to the school - so, I'm guessing it's not an acceptance issue. it will be a month since my informal acceptance next week. Should I be concerned/contact anyone about my official letter/offer, or continue to wait it out? According to the GSD, the department offers guaranteed funding, plus fellowships/TAs/RAs, so I wonder if they are waiting on external word for something. Our visiting day is next week. Thoughts/advice appreciated, thanks! :-)