MPA / MPP / Phd Policy Admissions 2008

Questions and answers....

I've applied to four schools, my stats are above. So far only Duke has gotten back to me, with good news. That said, one thing I am always curious about is why there is such a draw to DC schools. Have DC admits found it easier to get internships there? It seems to me the top MPP/MPA programs are all outside the city, and have career services departments that make up for the distance between the college and the capital. I say this as a person who lived in DC the past two years, and has done two fairly decent internships in the city in his life. I'm applying to four schools all outside the city, and couldn't find a reason to be especially compelled to go to Georgetown (plus, I wanted to be able to devote myself to my studies, and staying near work would have made that hard) so I did not apply.

I say all this becauseit seems with the schools you are looking at the proximity to the capital may not be that big of a deal unless you hate to move during the summer for internships. For international development, I think Columbia has the most well-known program, if that's SIPA you're talking about. I don't know enough offhand about NYU to say much. As for Duke, are you going to the open house/weekend? I went to school just down the road from Durham, and so I am well aware of how strong their program is...and would say that you might be remiss not to consider them heavily as well.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

namrata,

Sounds like you're a very qualified applicant. I'm not sure about Duke -- which track did you apply to? I know that the only two accepts that have been posted were both Econ. If you applied to another track, perhaps you still have a shot. It's hard to say -- there has not been much posted in the last two years.

Chicago seems to notify applicants in the first week of March. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Maryland appears to be towards the end of March.

What are your interests? International Development?

My interests are in applied micro (crime, labor, education, health, etc.)

I think that the benefits of going to school in DC are two-fold: 1) you're more likely to make direct career connections through the program, as many of the profs and guest lecturers are (or were) actively engaged in policy-making - for example, one of my friends at Georgetown ending up working as an RA for George Tenet; and 2) many students take advantage of the location to intern part-time during the academic year in addition to summers.

Those are both valuable, but the extent and direct relevance will undoubtedly vary by person/program.

I haven't gotten in to any policy PhD schools yet (but I haven't received any rejections, either!)

I do have Poli Science Ph.D love from Emory, Berkeley and Washington university in St. Louis (WashU) so far, though

I went to a top 5 undergraduate university and made a 3.3 there. I have a 4.0 in my top 5 (related) master's program, though.

My GRE was 790 math, 710 verbal, 6 writing.

I have some good internship experience, although my two years of work experience after college wasn't related to what I do now.

Hi brlbrl,

My interests are mainly in 'poverty analysis', 'gender and public policy' and 'social impacts of science & tech'. So it's more macro and relevant to developing countries (guess that was natural). I applied to the Economics track at Duke. I haven't received a reject as yet. So will keep my hopes alive for Duke :) As you said, fingers crossed for the remaining schools!!

Cheers,

Namrata

xnormajeanx:

First of all, congratulations! I hear that it is not an easy feat to receive funding at Georgetown MPP. I am planning to apply to Georgetown MPP next year, and I was wondering if you would mind sharing your stats, i.e., GPA, GRE, undergrad tier, job experience.

After looking at all of your great applications, I am somewhat less confident, lol... Well, here is to hoping they liked my essay! Seriously though, if not, I wish rejections would come faster.

In prevous year's they've typically notified some some admits around March 1, and then some more around the 14th. It's far from over!

Here's my deal:

I applied to WWS and KSG (as they're the two schools I would want to attend that have joint degree programs with my law school).

Undergrad: top 30 undergrad, magna cum laude, 3.75 GPA (3.95 major in History), Phi Beta Kappa, top departmental award and departmental honors, Class President, student honor council, worked part-time at school, wrote thesis on a public-policy/sociology topic.

Tests: 171 LSAT; 690V/750Q/6WR GRE

Work Experience: 1 summer at a labor firm, 14 months post-graduation at a Federal Agency...worked in tech issues and policy, worked with high-level agency staff on implementing new policies and conducting studies, law-enforcement, and received a high-level commendation from the Agency chairman.

Currently: 1L at a top-10 law school, serving on a school-wide committee and 2 public service/interest organizations. This summer I am going to work at an agency in DC.

I have outstanding professional and academic references and my essays were also top notch.

I got my first notification today! I have been offered admission to the public affairs program (MA) at UT Austin. I received an email today which said to expect the official letter in the mail by the end of the March. 1 down, 4 to go. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations, canhardlywait!! It's good to see they're sending out notifications again...I hope the guys on the other thread will hear something soon. This waiting crap sucks. Now let's get some other notifications rolling in...

Awesome Dave!

For the people notified today, has the status online change? Mine hasn't despite the e-mail. Not worried though.

Also, looks like I'll be going to the April 9th visit day on account of previous travel plans for the first date.

My status page also did not change... probably just busy. I am going to ask my boss if I can get off on the 9th... or call in sick... who knows.

We all need to get together regardless as the ones who stressed the most! Anyone else going to be taking evening classes? It is sooo hard to take TSU seriously now!!!

Seriously, this is great. Congrats to everyone and good luck to anyone waiting...

I'm so glad everyone seemed to get in! Especially you crazydave, as it was the only school you applied to!

I won't be able to make it to any of the open days (out of the country) unfortunately. If any of you end up attending the admitted student days, would you be able to 'debrief' for those of us who can't attend? I appreciate any insight any of you have since I can't be there.