Wagner MPP/MPA 2008

hopeful grad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! hopeful grad

I applied to NYU/MPA too, but hearing nothing. They told me the result will come out in several weeks, i guess its cuz I finished my application really late...or they actually already ****me??? :shock:

Would you like to share with me your background stats, like GRE,relevant work experience, GPA, etc.?

BTW, there is an optional essay, part of the application but I didnt write it. How about you? I m wondering if that will hurt my chances in any way.

When I completed my application at the end of October, there was no optional essay...I beleive they added it later in the year. So, obviously, I did not complete it.

As for my stats I have four years nonprofit work experience (writing/development); GRE 620 V, 550 Q, 4.5 A; GPA 3.8, undergraduate major/minor: journalism/poly sci. Hopefully those GRE scores won't hurt me too much....

I wrote the optional essay on #3, the broken bridge. Mine wasn't that long, maybe a page. I wrote it because my numbers aren't strong. But I have two years of ongoing professional research experience at a social policy firm in NYC, so I felt like I could relate some of that in my optional essay.

My numbers: 3.1. GRE:480V, 650Q, 3.5A. Double Majored in Math and Econ at a top20school. graduated in 2006.

I fully expected that my numbers will hurt my chances, but I've gotten accepted into 2 great programs already, so I am grateful even if I don't get accepted into anymore programs.

I also didn't have the optional essay, although they did email me asking if I was going to submit an essay for the scholarships. Like I said I completed it in October. I have a 3.9 GPA with a major in Finance and minor in Italian. Experience in consulting, banking, and non-profit. I didn't take the GRE. We'll see how it goes when funding decisions come out. Good luck to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can hardly wait,

the MPA education itself costs a lot and NYU Wagner is not generous with the financial aid(other mpa programs is kinda the same.) I have seen almost all the ppl from my country who got into their program but with no fundings in previous years.

What I am worried about is the job placement after the graduation in the states, as a foreign student.

Do u have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate that!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure exactly when we'll hear about funding, but the acceptance letter said we'll receive notification of financial aid/scholarships (if applicable) 'around March'. So I guess that means we could hear funding decisions any day from now until the deadline.

Orangedonkey,

In regards to placement after graduation, here's a link to the NYU Wagner recent graduate employment statistics which shows which sector students end up in after graduation.

http://wagner.nyu.edu/careers/stats.php

As for International Student placement, I don't think with a graduate degree this is such a big issue for foreign students; a graduate degree will put you in the 'top-tier' for receiving a H-1B visa. For-profit businesses can usually afford to help you apply for the visa, and H-1B visas applied for by non-profits don't count towards the overall H-1B quota. In short, I don't think your chances of getting a job will diminish because of your international status. You may find some business/organizations welcome the diversity.

Hello Everyone. I called Wagner on March 3rd and they said funding letters would be sent out March 15th. Now that I think about it, I am not sure if this is via email or via US mail. I wish everyone the best of luck.

FYI: My friend applied last year straight out of Berkeley undergrad and I believe he received less than 10k for the first year. Wagner is really bad with financial aid-they will never give you a stipend and you have to be a stellar student to get any tuition grants. Milano the New School and Columbia's SIPA are the same way. You might get some tuition help but never any living stipend. If you are a PPIA fellow they have to give you 5k a year, but I doubt it goes higher.

Thankfully there are still open scholarships. I believe the Ford Foundation does have a scholarship for Masters students, it might be worth checking.

On my acceptance letter it says

"You will be receiving a more detailed notification email, including scholarship information (if applicable) and next steps you need to take around March."

I was also told the 15th (Which is Sat?)...I'm hoping to get an email soon so I can make my final decision.

I called Wagner this a.m. and told them I had heard funding info was going out the 15th. The woman was very nice and said they were waiting on info. from the financial aid office and applicants would probably have to wait until March 30th. Good news for those of us who heard nothing....now it's just more waiting.

I'm in the same boat too, easy mack. I submitted Wagner on Jan 16th....which means no funding so I really have no incentive to hear from them.lol. Although after I got my waitlist from Gtown, all my other outstanding app decisions seemed nonexistent. I have had a few law schools who have had my app since November and still no word. eh.

Hi Elena,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I really couldn't say whether or not we'd be considered for funding. I feel like the most qualified folks get those offers first. My guess would be if those most qualified declined that maybe there's a chance that a waitlist could get some funding, but I would still think a regularly admitted student would get first dibs. Just can't be sure without asking them. I'm still waiting to see official waitlist documentation from them. My point in mentioning gtown at all was to emphasize that they are my top choice school, so an acceptance from them, under any circumstances, kind of makes any correspondence from another school pale in comparison.

What I meant was that because NYU Wagner's scholarship consideration deadline was the 15th, I wouldn't be considered for aid there, thus I would have no real incentive to stay in NYC to go there, as NYU's MPA program isn't really the one I'm really interested in (MPP is more the direction I'm in). So unless funding were provided, I probably wouldn't even consider it under normal circumstances. But at the time I applied, I wasn't sure if I might be interested in staying in NYC but since finding out I can start school in DC (my top choice location), NYU has reached the backburner.

(For the record, I tried to submit the app before midnight, but I was having connection troubles, and didn't find out until later on that it didn't submit before the 15th was over.)

Elena, I'd like to discuss gtown with you if u have some time, but I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll send you a PM.