ALL Life Sciences Applicants for Fall 2011

Mrs. Bio

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted or invited for interviews!

I heard from UPenn Immunology a week ago and earlier today I got an email from UW Immunology.. absolutely stoked...

Best of luck to all!

Edited by tfung15

I Applied to Harvard BBS, Yale BBS (Computational Bio), Brown MCB, Dartmouth MCB, UAB, Emory, UGA, GA Tech, Boston College and Tulane

I'm focusing on bioinformatics and computational bio.

Stats:

Finishing my Masters in May with a 4.0. Biomedical Sciences. (Fully Funded)

GRE: 560 V, 770 Q, 5 A

I have two publications one first author and one 4th of 6 from my undergrad research, with 2 more first author publications for submission in the next 2-3 months from my thesis.

I have a poster presentation from ICAAC in Boston last September, a poster and and oral from a regional conference as well.

In total 4 years of research experience 2.5 from my undergrad in food safety microbiology, and 1.5 so far in my masters in antimicrobial resistance and structure function modeling.

LOR's from my MS PI leader in Veterinary Pharmacology, my undergrad research advisor, and a leader in tmRNA research and RNA modeling.

I head from UAB so far, every other program I've applied to traditionally invites early to mid Jan (crosses fingers).

I head from UAB so far, every other program I've applied to traditionally invites early to mid Jan (crosses fingers).

same in my field. although i don't really care about other schools as long as i get interview/admission offer from Wisconsin. here comes january!!

I Applied to Harvard BBS, Yale BBS (Computational Bio), Brown MCB, Dartmouth MCB, UAB, Emory, UGA, GA Tech, Boston College and Tulane

I'm focusing on bioinformatics and computational bio.

Stats:

Finishing my Masters in May with a 4.0. Biomedical Sciences. (Fully Funded)

GRE: 560 V, 770 Q, 5 A

I have two publications one first author and one 4th of 6 from my undergrad research, with 2 more first author publications for submission in the next 2-3 months from my thesis.

I have a poster presentation from ICAAC in Boston last September, a poster and and oral from a regional conference as well.

In total 4 years of research experience 2.5 from my undergrad in food safety microbiology, and 1.5 so far in my masters in antimicrobial resistance and structure function modeling.

LOR's from my MS PI leader in Veterinary Pharmacology, my undergrad research advisor, and a leader in tmRNA research and RNA modeling.

For your UAB application, when did you submit it and how long did it say "Your Application is in program review" ? I turned mine in for immuno on dec 13.

For your UAB application, when did you submit it and how long did it say "Your Application is in program review" ? I turned mine in for immuno on dec 13.

My application was completed LOR and all on Nov. 18, and I got a call, Dec 8th for an interview.

My application still says its in program review and I don't know when that appeared.

fwiw I'm applying for the Biochem and Structural Bio Program.

Applied to UMichigan, CU Boulder, UT Austin, UToronto, and Harvard for EEB (Ecology and Evo Bio).

Wishing they'd start getting back to me--does anyone know whether they send e-mails with admit information, or if you have to rely on checking the websites? (I don't know whether there are any application status site features for the EEB departments at these places.) I'm currently away from Internet for weeks at a time, but have an even harder time getting any snail mail.

It's trivial, but it's stressing me out. They do email, right? ...right? ......right?

My application was completed LOR and all on Nov. 18, and I got a call, Dec 8th for an interview.

My application still says its in program review and I don't know when that appeared.

fwiw I'm applying for the Biochem and Structural Bio Program.

Did you hear back from Yale yet? I applied to MB&B in BBS and I'm going a little crazy.

I'm kind of a special case. I got into the program last year (along with Penn BMB, Colorado Boulder, got an interview invite from UCSD, plus some other safety schools), accepted Yale and requested a deferral. Wanted to work for a year, pay of the loans a little before they started to blow back up with interest, and I was waiting for my fiance to graduate so she could move up with me. They asked me to reapply, so I did.

Last year, I got an interview invite by email the day after the New Year's holiday weekend. Now it's wednesday and I'm starting to worry that I blew my chances of getting into grad school blink.gif

I know the different programs in Yale BBS has stagger their dates, so I'm curious if you or anyone else has heard back from Yale MB&B.

Applied to UMichigan, CU Boulder, UT Austin, UToronto, and Harvard for EEB (Ecology and Evo Bio).

Wishing they'd start getting back to me--does anyone know whether they send e-mails with admit information, or if you have to rely on checking the websites? (I don't know whether there are any application status site features for the EEB departments at these places.) I'm currently away from Internet for weeks at a time, but have an even harder time getting any snail mail.

It's trivial, but it's stressing me out. They do email, right? ...right? ......right?

I can speak for CU boulder biochem... I applied January 10 2010, heard back February 4th. So I wouldn't stress too much yet. And yes. They emailed. I will say that every department is probably different though...

[edit] and it's a new year!

Edited by Biophys

Hey! I'm an EEB person, too (doesn't seem like there's many of us on this forum).

I also applied to UMichigan and UT-Austin (and a few other schools) and have only heard back from one of the other schools about an interview. That school is a special situation because I visited the campus and unofficially interviewed with someone there this fall. The person I would potentially work with at UT-Austin mentioned that the Ecology faculty usually meet and decide on a weekend to invite potential students to visit. As far as I know, there isn't a way to check online if those two schools have made formal decisions (only if they've received your application materials). I'm assuming they'll either email or call about interviews and admission decisions.

My Stats:GPA 3.46 from the last of 3 undrgrad schools I went too (3.35 over my whole undergrad career)GRE: 570 V, 750 Q, 4.5 ASubject GRE (Biochem): 630 (84%) Worked two almost years at a small biotech company doing R&D

Worked one year at the University of Minnesota doing research in Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences Dept.

I'm interested in working with proteins, especially engineering novel proteins and developing new protein based biotechnologies.

Applied to:

Dartmouth MCB program

University of Minnesota BMBB program

University of Washington MCB program

and Mayo Graduate School BMB program.

I have upcoming interviews at Dartmouth, and U of M, didn't get one at U of W, and still waiting on Mayo.

PlutonicFriend, your stat's look more impressive than mine, so I would guess you would get an interview at Dartmouth as well. Have you heard back yet?

PlutonicFriend, your stat's look more impressive than mine, so I would guess you would get an interview at Dartmouth as well. Have you heard back yet?

Nothing yet from Dartmouth, are they done sending invites? I have a lower GPA from my undergrad and i don't know how much that hurts, I got some accommodations and now have a 4.0 in grad study. The my first author article was only submitted at the time of application but now it's in press.. I don't know how much that changes things though or if i should notify schools of that. On the upside I heard from UGA Genetics today and interview weekend is Jan. 27-29.

Edited by PlutonicFriend

Nothing yet from Dartmouth, are they done sending invites? I have a lower GPA from my undergrad and i don't know how much that hurts, I got some accommodations and now have a 4.0 in grad study. The my first author article was only submitted at the time of application but now it's in press.. I don't know how much that changes things though or if i should notify schools of that. On the upside I heard from UGA Genetics today and interview weekend is Jan. 27-29.

Congratulations on UGA. I don't know whether Dartmouth is done sending invites, it sounds like they try to do all the interviews on the weekend of Feb.19. Good luck.

I noticed Emory has been added to the invites list from College Confidential... but it doesn't seem like anyone has posted that they /got/ an interview in the results section. Did they send out all of their invites?

Edited by Neuropanda