Stanford University

Bess

I'm a current student stalking the thread, and I don't think you're crazy. Palo Alto itself is not great for apartments, but nearby Menlo Park and Mountain View have some good options. If you can get here early I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Hey folks!

Does anyone (current students stalking the thread?) think I'm crazy not to apply for housing?

I have family in the area, own furniture, and am not a fan of TwinXL beds, given the choice. I'm hoping that if I show up in SF a month or so ahead and start bothering people on craigslist, I'd have a shot at finding an apartment in Palo Alto or a nearby town.

Hi all and congrats,

I've been admited to Civil Engineering MS at and I'm international. It's great to go to Stanford and it's cool to live at least for one year in CA.

I've heard that Escondido Village is a little bit too quiet. What do you think?

I'm european, and here the use of public transportation between university campuses and main cities is very common. Do you think that I will need a car if I want to visit SF on a regular basis?

Though I'm not yet at Stanford, I've lived in the Bay Area much of my life and visited friends in Menlo Park/Palo Alto frequently. Caltrain is great for going between the Stanford area and San Francisco, especially if you can catch one of the Baby Bullet express runs. I've heard that recent budget woes may result in less frequent trains, but it's still an extremely convenient link between SF and really any point on the Peninsula. If you're okay with a 40-60 minute train ride, you definitely don't need a car to get to SF.

Slorg, out of curiosity, are you switching from Berkeley to Stanford?

Yes (or at least strongly considering it). My advisor is switching from Berkeley to Stanford, and now I have to decide if I will follow her.

I hope that explains the incongruity of my profile and participation in this thread. :)

Call-- to accept I needed to look at the letter they sent me and register online with a student ID.

I would really like to matriculate to Stanford in the fall, however....

I was admitted to the PhD program in materials science, but there was no information on how I can actually ACCEPT their offer. I've sent some emails to the person in charge, but she hasn't yet responded. Perhaps I will call her personally tomorrow.

Call-- to accept I needed to look at the letter they sent me and register online with a student ID.

Agreed. I suggest you send an e-mail to the department formally accepting the offer, and then set up an account (with e-mail!) with Stanford Axess using the ID they provided you with in the very first acceptance e-mail, and accept the offer electronically through your account.

• 2 weeks later...

Student housing applications are open! Where's everyone applying to?

So far I'm putting Lyman before Rains - from what I can see, both look about the same, except that Lyman has a piano practice room. Am I crazy?

Student housing applications are open! Where's everyone applying to?

So far I'm putting Lyman before Rains - from what I can see, both look about the same, except that Lyman has a piano practice room. Am I crazy?

True, applications opened today!!

So what is everyone doing?

I am currently thinking Rains. Lyman's sitting room looks small on the Student Housing website. Perhaps, it is just a bad picture... but it really puts me off. Also, Rains' exterior looks sunnier! laugh.gif Great reasoning too here.tongue.gif

Hi all.

I have been accepted to Stanford's MS Program in Civil and Environmental program. I am an international student. I had some questions regarding the housing application. The thing is that it would be difficult for me to manage a rent upwards of 1200 dollars per month. But I am not sure how much rent would an off-campus residence around the university would entail, and specifically how easy it would be to obtain an off-campus residence of such sort, considering I probably would not be coming to US before 15 Sep.

Right now, I have prepared the list of residence choices in the housing application, and set the final choice to "I would accept any residence...". The reason I have done so is because as an international student, it would be best if i have the accommodation thing already set before entering he university, the only problem is if suppose if the list of my choices get exhausted and I am then randomly assigned a 1500USD per month contract. As outlined on the housing website, contracts once entered can not in general be terminated mid-way without incurring severe penalties.

Suppose I change the final option to "I will accept the residence only from the above list only", and the list gets exhausted, I would have to apply for the second round assignments... what are the chances of getting a housing assignment in the second round?? also, in this case if worst comes to worst and I would have to look for off-campus residences, how easily and at what rent can i get one?

Would really appreciate any suggestions on what to do... which option to go for? and thanks for reading the rather long post :)

Hi all.

I have been accepted to Stanford's MS Program in Civil and Environmental program. I am an international student. I had some questions regarding the housing application. The thing is that it would be difficult for me to manage a rent upwards of 1200 dollars per month. But I am not sure how much rent would an off-campus residence around the university would entail, and specifically how easy it would be to obtain an off-campus residence of such sort, considering I probably would not be coming to US before 15 Sep.

Right now, I have prepared the list of residence choices in the housing application, and set the final choice to "I would accept any residence...". The reason I have done so is because as an international student, it would be best if i have the accommodation thing already set before entering he university, the only problem is if suppose if the list of my choices get exhausted and I am then randomly assigned a 1500USD per month contract. As outlined on the housing website, contracts once entered can not in general be terminated mid-way without incurring severe penalties.

Suppose I change the final option to "I will accept the residence only from the above list only", and the list gets exhausted, I would have to apply for the second round assignments... what are the chances of getting a housing assignment in the second round?? also, in this case if worst comes to worst and I would have to look for off-campus residences, how easily and at what rent can i get one?

Would really appreciate any suggestions on what to do... which option to go for? and thanks for reading the rather long post :)

Hi hello_every1 !!

We're going to be peers! Which program are you going to enroll? I'm on Structural Engineering and I'm international too.

I have exactly the same doubts as you regarding the housing.

I send you a Private Message to talk about.

Hi all.

Hi there! I think you shouldn't worry if you selected rooms for $939. There seem to be plenty of those. Sure, nothing is guaranteed but if you chose those kind of rooms across different residences as your preferences, hopefully (fingers crossed) the chances of getting one are high.

I am in the same situation. I mean... most new graduate students (especially those having no previous connection with Stanford whatsoever) are in the same situation. I also do not want to end up paying more than a grand.

Hi everyone! Nice to see that I won't be the only one going down haha.. I'm heading to Stanford in the fall for MS in CS, anyone else?

Also, anyone applied to the housing yet? I'm still thinking about which ones to choose.. it seems Rains is popular, but still seems kind of far from the center of campus.

Hi all. I'm also going to Stanford, for a CS PhD.

I'll probably apply for housing in Munger, Escondido, and Rains.

@Kirov

When I visited the campus, none of the housing complexes seemed too far away, so I wouldn't worry about that. Then again, I'm fond of walking... so YMMV.

Edited by Azazel

Just submitted my housing app! Escondido, Rains, or Lyman-- chosen purely on the basis of price/having my own room. Also not willing to shell over a grand-- that would eat almost all of my stipend. : /

Also requested a Russian or Ukrainian speaking roommate. I wonder if that means the only other Ukrainian speaker who mentioned it in their app will be assigned to my suite.

Just submitted my housing app! Escondido, Rains, or Lyman-- chosen purely on the basis of price/having my own room. Also not willing to shell over a grand-- that would eat almost all of my stipend. : /

Also requested a Russian or Ukrainian speaking roommate. I wonder if that means the only other Ukrainian speaker who mentioned it in their app will be assigned to my suite.

Requested all the same places in the same price range yesterday. Mon Dieu, we may end up sharing a flat then. :)

The question is how they determine one's Russian-ness: by citizenship? (do they even have access to that info? university obviously does but does student housing?)... by name? When they see my name, I am sure they will know. laugh.gif

I really want Rains!!!

Hello everyone,

I have been offered a departmental fellowship to stanford EE PhD program for 3 quarters. The stipend amount is 8100USD per quarter. I am an international applicant. Now I have a few questions.

What is cheaper, On-campus/off-campus housing? Is it possible to manage a housing below 1000 per month rent?

Does a student have the opportunity to work in Summer? If yes then how?

My main concern is another one. I am married. It would be relieving for me if my Spouse accompany me. In that case, will the funding be adequate? How should I obtain an I-20 for her from the university? Does the university support in this regard? I am very much worried about this issue. I had another fellowship offer from University of Maryland College Park where they were willing to supplement the expense for spouse. However, I turned that down because of my dream to study in Stanford. Now I am confused whether I have taken a big risk. If in case I could not manage to bring my spouse in the Fall quarter, is there any possibility that I can bring her in the subsequent quarters? Is there any international student planning to join stanford with spouse?If there is one, please share your ideas with me. Now that we shall be attending the same institution, I am feeling a friendly air in sharing my problems with you guys.

Hello everyone,

I have been offered a departmental fellowship to stanford EE PhD program for 3 quarters. The stipend amount is 8100USD per quarter. I am an international applicant. Now I have a few questions.

What is cheaper, On-campus/off-campus housing? Is it possible to manage a housing below 1000 per month rent?

Does a student have the opportunity to work in Summer? If yes then how?

My main concern is another one. I am married. It would be relieving for me if my Spouse accompany me. In that case, will the funding be adequate? How should I obtain an I-20 for her from the university? Does the university support in this regard? I am very much worried about this issue. I had another fellowship offer from University of Maryland College Park where they were willing to supplement the expense for spouse. However, I turned that down because of my dream to study in Stanford. Now I am confused whether I have taken a big risk. If in case I could not manage to bring my spouse in the Fall quarter, is there any possibility that I can bring her in the subsequent quarters? Is there any international student planning to join stanford with spouse?If there is one, please share your ideas with me. Now that we shall be attending the same institution, I am feeling a friendly air in sharing my problems with you guys.

I think you'll find that the rates for couples housing on campus are basically outrageous. You can find better living arrangements for cheaper off campus if my research is correct (I'm seeing 18,324 or 1527 per month for the cheapest couples on campus -- you can get a fairly nice 1BR in Mountain View, Sunnyvale, etc for this price and can get something closer to 1000-1200 if you're vigilant, I think)

Surely you will be able to find work (potentially making a good deal of money) over the summer with a company in the area.

Does anyone have an idea of what looks like a "2 Bedroom Efficiency" in Escondido Village.

I've read that those were one bedroom apartments that have been transformed to two bedroom ones, but I haven't found any drawing or plan reference about those.

What have you done about the "Are you willing to accept any assignment"?. I don't want to pay 1600$ in Munger, neither to sleep in the living room of a "1 bedroom double occupancy" apartment, but I'm international, and I think that it will be really difficult to find something else outside the campus by the first half of September if I do not move with enough time in advance.

What does it happen if you're not assigned an apartment?

Is there any second round?

Anyway, the "searchable map" of Stanford webpage is a pain. I leave you a Google Earth map with the main residences. It's a huge campus, It will take me time to get used to it.

https://rapidshare.com/files/459312974/Stanford_Graduate_Housing.kml

Edited by Yuri_Gagarin