Stanford University

Bess

Aero & Astro MS here. Unless they change their minds by mid-March. :P

I have 2 questions for anyone familiar with the university and/or the area-

Where can I rent a plane and go flying, and do I get a student discount? (Is there any place where I could continue to learn aerobatics?)

How easy is it for non-music majors to play music? (I play the piano and the organ, but I haven't found any organ around where I am right now, and I miss it...)

Hey folks!

Does anyone (current students stalking the thread?) think I'm crazy not to apply for housing?

I have family in the area, own furniture, and am not a fan of TwinXL beds, given the choice. I'm hoping that if I show up in SF a month or so ahead and start bothering people on craigslist, I'd have a shot at finding an apartment in Palo Alto or a nearby town.

Hey folks!

Does anyone (current students stalking the thread?) think I'm crazy not to apply for housing?

I have family in the area, own furniture, and am not a fan of TwinXL beds, given the choice. I'm hoping that if I show up in SF a month or so ahead and start bothering people on craigslist, I'd have a shot at finding an apartment in Palo Alto or a nearby town.

I am also thinking about this! I just got accepted into Stanford for a MS in Environmental Engineering. Is living in Palo Alto that expensive?

I am also thinking about this! I just got accepted into Stanford for a MS in Environmental Engineering. Is living in Palo Alto that expensive?

The short answer is definitely yes, even for the Bay Area, which is saying a lot. There are two-bedroom houses going for upwards of $6000/mo here and there. I'm getting the sense that sub $1k apartments show up here and there, and that it's not impossible to get a room in a larger house for under $1k as well.

The short answer is definitely yes, even for the Bay Area, which is saying a lot. There are two-bedroom houses going for upwards of $6000/mo here and there. I'm getting the sense that sub $1k apartments show up here and there, and that it's not impossible to get a room in a larger house for under $1k as well.

My impression during visit day (& driving around the area) was that palo alto is mostly just suburbia with a smattering of places with gun problems (where you will be finding the sub1k apts). Stick with the dorms. Raines is nice, there are some which you share with families which are grimy and the law school dorms are beautiful.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get housing starting the winter/spring quarters instead of the summer/fall quarters?

I haven't seen anything on the Stanford website.

Also, is there a map of Stanford student housing?

I couldn't find one so I'm just using google maps to figure out where on campus everything is.

Edited by Slorg

Does anyone know how hard it is to get housing starting the winter/spring quarters instead of the summer/fall quarters?

I haven't seen anything on the Stanford website.

Also, is there a map of Stanford student housing?

I couldn't find one so I'm just using google maps to figure out where on campus everything is.

I would also be pretty interested in this. I'm surprised there's no Stanford Campus map with residences on: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/

The website has a searchable map. http://campus-map.stanford.edu/

When I visited, my host was in EV and she walked to class. I'd guess that walk was some brisk 20 minutes.

-----

So, I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time, but plan to get one. Is there a bike that you'd recommend for a beginner, given the campus environment?

-----

I also just wanted to say, FREE LAUNDRY.

I've been admitted to the MS program in Management Science and Engineering. I'm planning to visit the campus around 1st April before I make a decision. Is anyone else doing the same?

MS folks - did anyone get funded? If not, how are you guys planning on bankrolling the degree?

So, I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time, but plan to get one. Is there a bike that you'd recommend for a beginner, given the campus environment?

A cheap mountain bike, probably.

They are lower to the ground (so it's easier to put your feet down for balance), they have fatter tires (for better stability), and they are cheaper relative to road bikes.

However, they will be heavier, less efficient on roads, and will age more quickly than a quality road bike.

Hello all!

Any fellow Earth Systems Science folks out there?

I've been looking at the graduate housing options for Fall 2011--from what I've heard, they're much better (and more plentiful) than they were a few years ago as the opening of Munger (~600 slots?) has freed up space elsewhere. Does anyone know if Munger really is comprised mostly of law students, or are there folks from other fields mixed in as well? Seems pretty expensive, though the EESS stipend might just cover it... ;)

As for the other graduate residences, has anyone heard whether the multiple occupancy bedrooms are still an issue? I'm not especially picky about my living arrangements as long as I have my own bedroom... :)

Completely agree. I believe-- could be wrong-- that some spots in Munger are reserved for non-law students to force them to migle with other people. Munger is too expensive for my stipend, so I'm going for any two/three bedroom (per resident) setup elsewhere.

Hello all!

Any fellow Earth Systems Science folks out there?

I've been looking at the graduate housing options for Fall 2011--from what I've heard, they're much better (and more plentiful) than they were a few years ago as the opening of Munger (~600 slots?) has freed up space elsewhere. Does anyone know if Munger really is comprised mostly of law students, or are there folks from other fields mixed in as well? Seems pretty expensive, though the EESS stipend might just cover it... ;)

As for the other graduate residences, has anyone heard whether the multiple occupancy bedrooms are still an issue? I'm not especially picky about my living arrangements as long as I have my own bedroom... :)

Hi all and congrats,

I've been admited to Civil Engineering MS at and I'm international. It's great to go to Stanford and it's cool to live at least for one year in CA.

I've heard that Escondido Village is a little bit too quiet. What do you think?

I'm european, and here the use of public transportation between university campuses and main cities is very common. Do you think that I will need a car if I want to visit SF on a regular basis?

Edited by Yuri_Gagarin

I would really like to matriculate to Stanford in the fall, however....

I was admitted to the PhD program in materials science, but there was no information on how I can actually ACCEPT their offer. I've sent some emails to the person in charge, but she hasn't yet responded. Perhaps I will call her personally tomorrow.