What to wear for admitted student visits?

jecaloliv

Question

What do you think is appropriate attire for an admitted student day? I am visiting two Ivies, one for a formal admitted student day, one for a scheduled, individual visit (since they don't have a formal "admitted day"). I should also say that I have been admitted into two Humanities programs (since cultures often vary across disciplines, thus do expectations, I assume). I am a late 20s male.

Maybe folks could sound off what is appropriate attire for Men and Women (for the sake of everyone, and myself). And if there is a difference across disciplines, maybe note that too for others.

Thanks so much!

I would think a button-down and slacks would be appropriate, unless you're going to be in some sort of formal environment (interview with a PA, etc.), in which case it may be wise to wear a jacket and tie. I just wouldn't show up in a sweatshirt and flip-flops. I don't know how much it actually matters, but it can't hurt to make a good impression.

I would suggest contacting a current grad student in your department. some departments are really casual; some would be offended if you didn't wear a tie.

A safe middle of the way approach would probably be a nice pair of khakis and a button down for guys (with a blazer and tie packed just in case).

Women have more options. Depending on the weather, a dressy casual knee length dress or skirt could be appropriate (at my undergrad institution women wore these rather often). A more business-y skirt with a cute sweater or caradign is still dressy but not as formal (or as stuffy) as a business skirt with a button down blouse. This way you won't stand out even if the other students go for dressy casual or for business formal. Even dress pants and a nice top would work (same rational as skirt with cardigan). *IF* the current students say that the department is very casual and you will be there for a few days, then I might say that a nice top with a nice pair of dark/dress denim and heels/dressy flats would be fine. To state the obvious, skirts should be a decent length and appropriate for ones age, and check to make sure the tops are not too revealing. It's also a good idea to take a final glance before leaving your room to make sure no bra straps, bra lines, or panty lines are showing.

One should also consider the amount of walking one will do when picking out footwear...It also never hurts to bring band-aids in case of blisters.

I recently attended a few recruitment events to universities I was already admitted to. As a mid 20's female (in social sciences) I chose business casual attire and brought a pair of comfortable heels and comfortable but somewhat dressier flats. Some people wore jeans and semi casual t-shirts, one girl wore a full suit, others were business casual.

each event had a casual meeting with current grad students (lunch, dinner), for those I dressed down with dark jeans, a business casual top and flats.

This is my own opinion, but if you're already admitted and a female I would forego the formal suit - which is more appropriate for interviews at places you are not yet accepted. I think business casual is a safe route between too dressy and too casual.

Glad to see some answers for this--I have two visits coming up. The second one involves an interview for consideration for a fellowship, so I was figuring on wearing a dress shirt and tie for that one. The other one already has given me a nice fellowship, so I figure on the khakis and a nice top (it's a warm weather climate, yay!).

What are we expected to bring? Portfolio, laptop, notebook, backpack?

all i had with me was a pen. as you start your one-on-one interviews, you'll be given a lot of papers explaining research, recently published papers of the profs, and so on. you won't have enough time in between to surf the net on your laptop. so, go lightweight. carrying a bag to put all the handouts in might be a smart idea. some people also like to carry a notebook so that they can jot down the highlights of the interviews later. but i think you can store em in your head easily. do carry a water bottle.. you WILL get thirsty after all those meetings for that many hours.

I have already been accepted and given funding and all that, just have to make my final decision. My visit doesn't feel like much of an interview or anything, and everything is on the table. I'm going with button up shirt and khakis with sneakers. I hope that works for them.

I have already been accepted and given funding and all that, just have to make my final decision. My visit doesn't feel like much of an interview or anything, and everything is on the table. I'm going with button up shirt and khakis with sneakers. I hope that works for them.

I'm in the same boat and what you've suggested for clothing sounds good. I'm guessing that even though it's not an interview and I've already been admitted with funding, impressions do matter, especially if this is where I choose, so I definitely want to leave a good impression.

I'm in the same boat and what you've suggested for clothing sounds good. I'm guessing that even though it's not an interview and I've already been admitted with funding, impressions do matter, especially if this is where I choose, so I definitely want to leave a good impression.

I agree -- impressions do matter. When I RSVPed for one of my weekends, I just asked to grad administrator what her advice was, and she kindly wrote back with clear suggestions as well as some practical tips. One thing she mentioned is that students DO dress up when meeting potential faculty, since it is the first time they are meeting people with whom they'll be working for years to come -- which is a very valid point.

I think it may depend on the school (as well as the event in question -- some of the current grad students are putting together social events, for example for which I am NOT wearing a suit :rolleyes:). So, I'm planning on asking someone accessible at each school what they advise!

When I visit the institutions I was accepted to, I plan on wearing their school colors. I think doing this will show a great amount of respect, reverence, and admiration for (1) the faculty, and (2) the institution. I have purchased lapel pins from the schools I was accepted to (I bought these online), and I plan on incorporating them into the ensembles I've selected to wear...I am an early 20s male. I plan on wearing (1) blazer, (2) slacks, (3) button down shirt, (4) tie. I like this topic.... :-)

For "less formal events," I plan on wearing a (1) polo shirt (in one of the institutional colors), (2) slacks.

Edited by Penn State PhD Bound

Hey...So I'm wondering...Why the vote downs?....I take it those of you who disapprove of what I posted think my clothing preferences are a bit too "formal?" An explanation sure would be nice...LOL....I don't know...I just really believe in making a great first impression...every detail is important...that's just my belief....

When I visit the institutions I was accepted to, I plan on wearing their school colors. I think doing this will show a great amount of respect, reverence, and admiration for (1) the faculty, and (2) the institution. I have purchased lapel pins from the schools I was accepted to (I bought these online), and I plan on incorporating them into the ensembles I've selected to wear...I am an early 20s male. I plan on wearing (1) blazer, (2) slacks, (3) button down shirt, (4) tie. I like this topic.... :-)

For "less formal events," I plan on wearing a (1) polo shirt (in one of the institutional colors), (2) slacks.

Yep. They like what I have to offer, apparently, so I need to confirm their feelings with professionalism. Also, I dress like a teenage hoodlum otherwise so I know that would make me look bad.

Hey...So I'm wondering...Why the vote downs?....I take it those of you who disapprove of what I posted think my clothing preferences are a bit too "formal?" An explanation sure would be nice...LOL....I don't know...I just really believe in making a great first impression...every detail is important...that's just my belief....

It is probably a combination of disagreeing with your advice and also a reaction to your bolded words, which look like internet yelling.

Wearing the school's colors is fine if you are going to be subtle about it (like, say, wearing a shirt in one solid color), but doing it to show your "reverence" is a bit much. Professors don't want reverence. Academia isn't a religion, but a workplace, and professors are recruiting future colleagues who will hopefully pick up on appropriate social cues. Being extremely flashy with your respect for the program isn't going to help you much - it will say at best that you are trying too hard, rather than dazzling them with your academic abilities alone.

For myself, I'd go for the nice khaki pants and sweaters route, and I like jackets for when I get cold. You can actually find some really nice, business casual clothing at bargain stores like Ross or T.J. Maxx (if you live in the US) and even at secondhand stores.

Since I believe in not doing anything online I wouldn't say IRL (and I went first, perhaps spawning a bandwagon), I'll cop to a thumbs down. If it really cramps your style, PM me and I'll thumb it back up, but my reasons were:

1. Yes, bold font = internet yelling. (so does capslock). It's just puts readers unnecessarily on the defensive, I feel.

2. This is the sort of post that makes me suspect a troll (albeit the marginally subtler type who parodies those brown-nosing posters whose biggest problem is not being able to decide which of a half dozen excellent schools to go to. Sorry, anon. internet persons, but I just can't bring myself to care deeply about that level of angst).

--I realize that in all likelihood you post was completely sincere and well-meant, but I frankly can't tell from your profile or use of this forum what you're doing here, what you hope to add to or gain from this community, or where you stand in relation to academia. If I could tell, say, that you were currently an undergraduate, your comments would make more sense to me and I could say "hey, FYI, this is something that matters a lot less at the grad. level."

3. Assuming it is totally sincere, this post is still not useful advice for a graduate or potential graduate student. At the graduate level, your level of respect for the faculty and department is conveyed by your knowledge of and enthusiasm for the work that is done there, by your respect for the person, space and time of your prospective faculty and peers. This means you show up having done your research, you remain willing to listen to others but able to discuss your own work intelligently, you don't monopolize anyone unduly at social functions, you shake hands firmly and make eye contact when people talk to you. You thank people for their time and (verbally or in writing) express enthusiasm for the department. You follow up promptly with those who were particularly generous with their time or invited you to stay in touch.

There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of formal dress if it will make you feel more at ease, but school colors, pins, etc., IMO, come off as creepy and fan-ish (not to mention unrelated to the scholarly work). Chances are if you "revere" them too much, you will have a hard time becoming a peer to members of the faculty.

There's also nothing wrong with being a fan of the school's teams or athletic programs (with which those colors are usually most closely associated), but that's not the point of graduate study, nor should it be the only image you project to your peers and mentors.

3. Assuming it is totally sincere, this post is still not useful advice for a graduate or potential graduate student. At the graduate level, your level of respect for the faculty and department is conveyed by your knowledge of and enthusiasm for the work that is done there, by your respect for the person, space and time of your prospective faculty and peers. This means you show up having done your research, you remain willing to listen to others but able to discuss your own work intelligently, you don't monopolize anyone unduly at social functions, you shake hands firmly and make eye contact when people talk to you. You thank people for their time and (verbally or in writing) express enthusiasm for the department. You follow up promptly with those who were particularly generous with their time or invited you to stay in touch.

I couldn't have said this better. And it's why I'm not worrying about what to wear. Granted, I'm in the humanities and I could see another field being different, but I feel like the way to make a good impression on a visit is exactly this: read articles by the professors you want to work with, ask intelligent questions, be able to talk about your goals, be polite. I'm just going to dress like I would to go to a class. Also, open houses for accepted students are when they are trying to win you over, not the other way around, so I think it's okay to relax about it.

For the prospective grad students that have asked me (I pick some up at the airport the night before) I suggest slacks/nice shirt. I don't think the tie/jacket is a bit more than is needed, but this depends a lot on the department.

I work between our uptown campus and our medical school, and the dress codes are very different between the two. Uptown, you'll almost never see a professor wearing a tie unless it's a special occasion, and most are often in shorts/polo's. Downtown, almost all of the faculty and most of the grad students wear ties under their lab coats.

If I was telling someone for our campus, slacks and a polo/button down shirt will put you at/slightly above the dress level for all of the faculty you'll meet with, and are professional without being overkill. If you were going downtown, I'd recommend adding a tie.

Sending an e-mail to a grad student in one of the groups you're interested in working with is rarely a bad thing- it gives you a contact there, and you can ask what fits best for that program. If you aren't sure, you could ask the graduate coordinator- or ask the graduate coordinator for the contact info of a grad student in the department.

I know here (and most places) there are several of us that get tapped pretty frequently to help with prospective students, ask questions, etc.

Oh, and to add: I'd think it was really weird if a prospective grad student showed up wearing our colors/lapel pins. You aren't a student here yet, and you probably haven't committed to coming here yet. Heck, most of the current students still wear the colors/shirts/sweatshirts from our last institution.

Edited by Eigen

if people don't like what you say, they down vote you, even though what you said isn't wrong or offensive. some people vote down just for the sake of it. some vote down if they see that red -1 or -2 or whatever is next to the post... you know, just going with the flow. don't worry about the negative votes though.. they don't mean anything.

all i had with me was a pen. as you start your one-on-one interviews, you'll be given a lot of papers explaining research, recently published papers of the profs, and so on. you won't have enough time in between to surf the net on your laptop. so, go lightweight. carrying a bag to put all the handouts in might be a smart idea. some people also like to carry a notebook so that they can jot down the highlights of the interviews later. but i think you can store em in your head easily. do carry a water bottle.. you WILL get thirsty after all those meetings for that many hours.

Thank you. Seems like I have a lot of reading to do. I'll just bring my empty laptop bag or something.

Since I believe in not doing anything online I wouldn't say IRL (and I went first, perhaps spawning a bandwagon), I'll cop to a thumbs down. If it really cramps your style, PM me and I'll thumb it back up, but my reasons were:

1. Yes, bold font = internet yelling. (so does capslock). It's just puts readers unnecessarily on the defensive, I feel.

I did not realize bold font was seen as "yelling" (I normally use capslock for that)...I simply use bold face font to be "different..." Thanks for the revelation!

2. This is the sort of post that makes me suspect a troll (albeit the marginally subtler type who parodies those brown-nosing posters whose biggest problem is not being able to decide which of a half dozen excellent schools to go to. Sorry, anon. internet persons, but I just can't bring myself to care deeply about that level of angst).

--I realize that in all likelihood you post was completely sincere and well-meant, but I frankly can't tell from your profile or use of this forum what you're doing here, what you hope to add to or gain from this community, or where you stand in relation to academia. If I could tell, say, that you were currently an undergraduate, your comments would make more sense to me and I could say "hey, FYI, this is something that matters a lot less at the grad. level."

I am not brown-nosing at all. I just really think it takes quite a bit for an institution to go out on a limb and admit anyone...After all, all they know about me (and most other people they admit) so far is from pieces of paper (i.e. my application and supplementary materials).

Oh, and this post was very much sincere. I've simply been through quite a bit in my life, and being able to study under the tutelage of my POI is really a dream come true for me...so perhaps I'm a little too "enthusiastic?..."

There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of formal dress if it will make you feel more at ease, but school colors, pins, etc., IMO, come off as creepy and fan-ish (not to mention unrelated to the scholarly work). Chances are if you "revere" them too much, you will have a hard time becoming a peer to members of the faculty.

There's also nothing wrong with being a fan of the school's teams or athletic programs (with which those colors are usually most closely associated), but that's not the point of graduate study, nor should it be the only image you project to your peers and mentors.

I have two graduate degrees. I am well aware of what the point of graduate study is, believe it or not. Also, these individuals are already familiar with my scholarly work (writing samples, publications, etc.). Perhaps "revere" was not the correct term to use..However, I'm sure that anyone who has really done their "homework" will tell you they have a great deal of respect for the work their POIs have done....

It is probably a combination of disagreeing with your advice and also a reaction to your bolded words, which look like internet yelling.

(1) Wow. Everyone thinks I was yelling? That's quite interesting. I use capslock for that function (i.e. internet yelling). I simply used the bold face font to be "different" (sort of like a 'signature' of sorts)...

(2) Oh, and for the record: What I posted was not advice. Nowhere in my message do you see me say "I think men should wear so-and-so," or "I think women should wear-so-and-so," I said what "I" would be wearing...LOL.

Wearing the school's colors is fine if you are going to be subtle about it (like, say, wearing a shirt in one solid color), but doing it to show your "reverence" is a bit much. Professors don't want reverence. Academia isn't a religion, but a workplace, and professors are recruiting future colleagues who will hopefully pick up on appropriate social cues. Being extremely flashy with your respect for the program isn't going to help you much - it will say at best that you are trying too hard, rather than dazzling them with your academic abilities alone.

Well, I'm sorry...but I do revere my POIs...I mean, these are the individuals whose work I most admire. It's a little hard not to get all "fan-like"-- (I guess I really am a nerd... :-/)

For myself, I'd go for the nice khaki pants and sweaters route, and I like jackets for when I get cold. You can actually find some really nice, business casual clothing at bargain stores like Ross or T.J. Maxx (if you live in the US) and even at secondhand stores.

Exactly. I completely agree with this (TJ Maxx/Secondhand Stores)...

I couldn't have said this better. And it's why I'm not worrying about what to wear. Granted, I'm in the humanities and I could see another field being different, but I feel like the way to make a good impression on a visit is exactly this: read articles by the professors you want to work with, ask intelligent questions, be able to talk about your goals, be polite.

(1) I would sincerely hope most individuals would have already read a great deal of articles penned by their POIs/professors on faculty at an institution before sending off an application. (2) I believe the question of "what to wear" is an extremely individual thing--you said you are not going to worry about it (and that works for you), and I feel like dressing up (and that works for me). (3) I agree with you when you say the answer to the question "What should I wear?" could vary across disciplines...

I'm just going to dress like I would to go to a class. Also, open houses for accepted students are when they are trying to win you over, not the other way around, so I think it's okay to relax about it.

I think this is quite reasonable. True, they are trying to win us over...but at the same time I still think first impressions are important (that's just my opinion)...

Oh, and to add: I'd think it was really weird if a prospective grad student showed up wearing our colors/lapel pins. You aren't a student here yet, and you probably haven't committed to coming here yet. Heck, most of the current students still wear the colors/shirts/sweatshirts from our last institution.

OK...LOL...Perhaps the lapel pin is a bit "over the top," but they're only $4.00....so my question is "Why not?" LOL. Also, I've never gone through the PhD application process up until now (this is my first--and hopefully last--rodeo), so I guess I'm just really trying to think of every possible thing I can do to make a great first impression. I've already read many of the publications penned by faculty members at the institutions I will be visiting...so I guess I'm just trying to think of all the other things I could do (I guess I worry about things too much... :-/).....