Good idea to start grad school early?

neuropsych76

I've read mixed opinions on this scattered throughout the forum but I was wondering what are the pros and cons of doing this (if possible).

The main pros I can think of is getting acculmated to the school/area before you get super busy.

The cons is it takes away your last summer to relax and you might not make any money (if you have a a summer job).

Any other big pros/cons of starting working in the lab before grad school?

I think the best mix is to try to split the summer... I started 6 weeks early- it gave me a chance to relax (early summer), but still get acclimated to the school, meet people, get to know the area, and get on payroll before the semester started.

I think the best mix is to try to split the summer... I started 6 weeks early- it gave me a chance to relax (early summer), but still get acclimated to the school, meet people, get to know the area, and get on payroll before the semester started.

I think that would be a good option for me.

How do you go about asking for funding though? Just say something like I was wondering if I could work in the the lab a few weeks early if there is some funding available?

I don't want to seem pushy to start my grad career :P

You need to be pushy. I've asked to be taken to an exotic field site just because I want to get in the field. Worst case scenario they say no. Best case scenario, you get what you want. Grad school is all about your own initiative. So if you wanna do it, make it happen!

I plan to do a rotation before classes start. My program is giving me the option and will fund it. Then again, I already live near and work at the same University, so it's not much of a change :)

Taking a break and charging yourself for your first year of grad school is definitely important, though!

Thank you all for the replies and the helpful thread rising star!!

This ended up being an easy decision for me as my future prof and grad students in the lab will be gone most of this summer lol.

So, i'll have a summer to relax but I won't get a head start on research. Oh well