NSF GRFP

timuralp

Why wouldn't you just accept NDSEG award and defer NSF if you get that?

Ah, yep. I just re-checked a forum thread, and it looks like accepting the NDSEG for 2 years and then the NSF for the last 3 is the way to go. Anyone able to confirm that from actual experience or text from terms and conditions, or is that internet legend?

I thought I read it was best to use NDSEG for 3 years and NSF for your last two, because you get $1500 more by using your third year of NDSEG than you get by using NSF.

I thought I read it was best to use NDSEG for 3 years and NSF for your last two, because you get $1500 more by using your third year of NDSEG than you get by using NSF.

plus, isn't the tuition money more? I would think your institution would be happy to not have to make up the tuition difference that they would w/NSF and give you more in supplemental aid because of that (you lucky dog!).

I'm so depressed - I thought I would be able to apply one more time next year and didn't realize that I might be excluded because I took time off to tech between undergrad and grad school!

Makes the waiting even more excruciating...

I'm so depressed - I thought I would be able to apply one more time next year and didn't realize that I might be excluded because I took time off to tech between undergrad and grad school!

Makes the waiting even more excruciating...

Why would this preclude you from applying again? I applied for NSF and plan to my next two years and I graduated from undergrad in 1997... I also hold another grad degree (in an entirely unrelated field), which meant I had to write the explanation about switching fields, but it didn't disqualify me.

k so unless i'm delusional by logging in so many times, i think the log in screen for fastlane may be slightly different for me. now i get:

Application Package Task List

Application Package Optional Task List

View/Print Application

Download Request for Payment of GRE Subject Test Fee

Check Application Package Status

don't know if this was here before tho. i'll update if anything else weird pops up.

it does look different! but nothing really earth-shatteringly interesting, is it?

ETA: They also took off the login for 'view your rating sheets,' which was up yesterday...

I think NSF will only let you defer for up to two years -- and that's why people do NDSEG for the first two and NSF for three.

ETA: They also took off the login for 'view your rating sheets,' which was up yesterday...

No, it was definitely accessible an hour ago (because I've attempted to login)! They are doing something to it now!

I think NSF will only let you defer for up to two years -- and that's why people do NDSEG for the first two and NSF for three.

They let you defer two, but you can forfeit other years (you make out better forfeiting one of the NSF than one of the NDSEG).

k so unless i'm delusional by logging in so many times, i think the log in screen for fastlane may be slightly different for me. now i get:

Application Package Task List

Application Package Optional Task List

View/Print Application

Download Request for Payment of GRE Subject Test Fee

Check Application Package Status

don't know if this was here before tho. i'll update if anything else weird pops up.

Ahh!! What do you mean? How did it look before?

i remember it only had "Application Package Task List" before, but now it has both that and the Application Package Optional Task List. who knows, i could be way off.

that's what I thought. but I'm also looking via a different computer than I normally use, so it could be throwing me off...

I think you both are delusional. ;-)

They need to just put us out of our misery. For the 75 percent of the people who won't even get the award or HM, why not just tell us? NSF doesn't need to approve of the list of names rejected. Seriously.

Does anyone know if you can defer the NSF for two years if you are already in your second year of grad school? Which fellowship do you think is more prestigious, the NSF or the NDSEG?

i'm pretty sure you can, but then you dont let people like me on the NDSEG waiting list get any of the love.....

do you really plan on needing 7 years to finish?