MSW 2012 (Southern Cali)

KMSW

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only applied to CSULB...so I guess it's my first choice by default! :-)

My friend is graduating from CSULA this year and absolutely loves it. She's already been offered a job from the agency she's doing her fieldwork at! But Berkeley is a pretty amazing city/school. I'm sure there would be so many unique opportunities there.

Yeah I heard that also - that you can't switch, but good suggestion! Definitely worth asking.

You know, I don't know what my first choice is at the moment. I was thinking Berkeley but now I'm thinking whichever will give me the most aid, so now I'm thinking Cal State LA. You?

Yay congrats! Does yours say they need a decision by March 5th? I didn't know it only cost about 15k - yay if we get the stipend!!! What concentration are you!

Yes, my letter says March 5th. Im going to call and ask for an extension. I dont know what to do. UGH! I

Yes, my letter says March 5th. Im going to call and ask for an extension. I dont know what to do. UGH! I

I think we have to reply by March 5th to hold our spot, but we have until July 15th to pay our confirmation deposit. I'm going to ask to, but if you happen to ask before me, please let me know what they say about having an extension. :)

What's your concentration and are you two year or in the three year program? How fun, we could potentially be colleagues!!!

I'm debating between whether I should apply to the CalSWEC or IUC stipend programs. I know the differences/logistics between the two, but was wondering if anyone had any advice or already know which one they are applying to and why?

Also, does anyone know the link to Cal State LA's MSW tuition costs?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats to those accepted to Cal State LA (CSU LA).

Would you mind telling me when you sent in your apps for their MSW program?

I sent mine in on the day of the priority deadline - December 15, 2011, and received a packet in the mail February 16th.

Thx Rjose! I'm freaking out because on my Cal State LA GET account it showed my status as complete for weeks. I know for a fact they received my completed supplement packet. However, shortly after they received it before the 2/15 deadline, my status changed to incomplete! I've been calling but I can't get through and of course they are totally swamped so my email will most likely go unanswered.

On the other hand, I applied to USC (my top choice) and this is what it says on my page:

Submission Status: Submitted

Submitted Date: 1/5/2012 3:46:00 AM EST

Your file has been forwarded to the academic department for review and an admission decision. You may check this system periodically for updates, and if the academic department requires additional information or renders an admission decision, you will be contacted.

Check periodically? More like religiously! Anyone have an idea how long the review process will take? I am dying over here!!! :blink:

Edited by Sherbear

Thx Rjose! I'm freaking out because on my Cal State LA GET account it showed my status as complete for weeks. I know for a fact they received my completed supplement packet. However, shortly after they received it before the 2/15 deadline, my status changed to incomplete! I've been calling but I can't get through and of course they are totally swamped so my email will most likely go unanswered.

On the other hand, I applied to USC (my top choice) and this is what it says on my page:

Your file has been forwarded to the academic department for review and an admission decision. You may check this system periodically for updates, and if the academic department requires additional information or renders an admission decision, you will be contacted.

Check periodically? More like religiously! Anyone have an idea how long the review process will take? I am dying over here!!! :blink:

Yikes! Cal State LA needs to get it together!

My USC status says this:

Thank you for applying to graduate study at USC. Your file is currently in the first stage of our evaluation process. We will notify you if additional information or materials are required. Please contact your intended academic department directly to make sure all supplemental application materials have been received.

I applied to USC's three- year program so I can still work at my current job, so let's see what happens...

I just got my acceptance into UCLA this morning. They notified me via email. You should all be hearing back from them soon. I'm glad they didn't make us wait until late March!

Oh wow, that was fast - it's not even March. Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

USC gave me a phone call 2 weeks ago (on a Friday) to tell me that my application was complete and that she (the woman on the phone) was submitting my application over to the reviewers at that very moment, she gave me an estimate of 1-2 weeks to hear back for a final decision. 1 week later I received a letter in the mail containing my acceptance letter to USC. I believe USC does rolling acceptances so depending on when they get to your application they may call you ahead of time to let you know when they are actually reviewing your application.

USC gave me a phone call 2 weeks ago (on a Friday) to tell me that my application was complete and that she (the woman on the phone) was submitting my application over to the reviewers at that very moment, she gave me an estimate of 1-2 weeks to hear back for a final decision. 1 week later I received a letter in the mail containing my acceptance letter to USC. I believe USC does rolling acceptances so depending on when they get to your application they may call you ahead of time to let you know when they are actually reviewing your application.

My status says this: "We are reviewing your application. The status of your application is updated daily and/or as changes occur to your file. Because of the volume of materials we receive, please note that it typically requires 8-10 business days from the date of receipt for documents (such as transcripts) to be processed into your file."

Does this mean I should be expecting a decision to be made any day now? I submitted my application back in November.

My status says this: "We are reviewing your application. The status of your application is updated daily and/or as changes occur to your file. Because of the volume of materials we receive, please note that it typically requires 8-10 business days from the date of receipt for documents (such as transcripts) to be processed into your file."

Does this mean I should be expecting a decision to be made any day now? I submitted my application back in November.

if i remember correctly, my status on the online application said the same thing for a few months. What really defined the time period from when i could expect a decision was when they gave me a phone call to notify me that they were actually reviewing my file.

since you finished your application in November, I would assume they would get to yours soon depending on when you got all your documents (like references) in. my application was fully completed end of december, that's when my last reference was turned in.

if i remember correctly, my status on the online application said the same thing for a few months. What really defined the time period from when i could expect a decision was when they gave me a phone call to notify me that they were actually reviewing my file.

since you finished your application in November, I would assume they would get to yours soon depending on when you got all your documents (like references) in. my application was fully completed end of december, that's when my last reference was turned in.

Thanks for the response! Did you apply for the Dean's Leadership Scholarship?

Vmpancucci, I just got my acceptance packet in the mail this morning so you should be getting yours soon too. I never got a phone call and when I checked my online status this AM it still said "in review".

Congrats first of all, Sherbear! Thanks for the information! I'm so anxious/excited! It seems (based on previous forums) that USC is slow at updating the website. Did you by any chance apply for the Dean's Leadership Scholarship?

Thank you! =) My first choice so I'm psyched. I did not apply for Dean's Leadership Scholarship, but I did send my app in before the 1/15 priority deadline. I just checked my online status again, still says "in review". So it looks like I got my letter in the mail exactly a week after my online status changed to "in review"

Vmpancucci, I just got my acceptance packet in the mail this morning so you should be getting yours soon too. I never got a phone call and when I checked my online status this AM it still said "in review".

Also, did your status say:

"Your file has been forwarded to the academic department for review and an admission decision. You may check this system periodically for updates, and if the academic department requires additional information or renders an admission decision, you will be contacted."

or

"We are reviewing your application. The status of your application is updated daily and/or as changes occur to your file. Because of the volume of materials we receive, please note that it typically requires 8-10 business days from the date of receipt for documents (such as transcripts) to be processed into your file.

Mine says the second one. I keep reading that people aregetting acceptances after their status says "In Review," but I don't know what that means.

Edited by vmpancucci

Vmpancucci

Mine said the second one for a while until it changed to the first one. And after that happened it was a week until I got something in the mail.

Sherbear, thanks for your reply. My application and all my materials were in in November. I applied for the Dean's Leadership Scholarship, so perhaps that's why I haven't heard back yet. Maybe they're making a decision about the scholarship recipients ;)

For those of you who got into Cal State LA and are applying for the CalSWEC or IUC stipend, do you know if your chances of getting the stipend decreases if you turn in your application a little after the March 5th date? I know to hold your spot you must sign the letter of intent by March 5th, and the lady from Cal State LA I spoke to even said I could send in my stipend application later, but was wondering if anyone knows if this would hinder my chances?