MSW 2012 (Southern Cali)

KMSW

UCLA Major in Psychology, Minor in Education

3.2 GPA (I know, low :( )

Project Manager of UCLA Mental Health Services Act Study - Studying the implementation of Proposition 63 on Directly Operated and Contract Mental Health Clinics

Project Manager of UCLA & LACDMH Evidence Based Practices, Prevention and Early Intervention Study - Studying the implementation of certain EBPs in School-Based Clinics

Associate Producer of UCLA & LACDMH Documentary Series - Short Films documenting the uniqueness of various directly operated clinics within Southern California

Volunteer: Nomination Review Committee for the PRISM Awards - Awarding films that accurately portray mental illness and/or substance abuse

Letters of Recommendations: Supervisor, UCLA Distinguished Professor, and Associate Dean of Social Work Research USC

Concentration: (Very similar to yours) Working with the youth population, specifically in a school-based setting.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool.

I don't think you should worry to much about your GPA. It is at least a 3.0, and you have some good experience.

I did pretty bad on the GRE. BUT! I heard many times, from many many students, that if your GPA is not to worry about the GRE so much. Im hoping everything else balances me out with the committee. But I will find out if this is true in a few weeks by either getting rejected or accepted! lol

I really want the mental health stipend! That's one of my goals at which ever school I end up attending.

Thanks! Yeah my GRE scores were okay, but we don't need them for the MSW? I applied to Berkeley's MSW/PhD program so for that I needed to take the GRE's but none of the other schools required it.

I want to get the stipends also, do you know if they are competitive? I applied to three out of state schools and I don't think any of them have the stipends like they do in California :(

Depends on what school you end up attending.

The UCLA brochure states that Bilingual applicants are a plus for candidates. (Mental health stipend)

So I'm glad i know how to read, write and speak Spanish. But that doesn't necessarily mean i will get it. It depends on experience and how well the applicant does on the interview. I think they might give you vignettes.

The most popular stipend is the two year DCFS stipend. CSULA accepts 25 in the CYF concentration, and they offer 17 stipends. So the chances of getting it are pretty damn good. But getting accepted into that concentration is pretty competitive.

Regarding the GRE, its some lame school requirement. Many schools want to get rid of it because it doesn't reflect how well a MSW student will do in the program.

I really wanted to apply to the Berkeley program, but I wouldn't be able to afford it. :( If I got accepted. I doubt it.

For Penn's 2 year MSW program I was awarded $10k for Dean's Merit Award and $2k for SP2 Award = $12k total.

This sounds pretty standard right? It's still a small amount relative to the total cost of both years which is around 80k, right? Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

I applied to SJSU & NYU. My GPA is subpar but I'm hoping my experience and essay will overshawdow my GPA.

My stats are:

Undergraduate GPA: 2.7, taking courses at a local JC to raise my GPA (I majored in Economics/ Administrative Studies)

GRE: No GRE scores, I am going to take them this spring. Neither programs require the GRE test.

Social Work related experience:

-I was employed at two after school programs servicing high-risk minority students for two years.

-I am currently employed as a behavioral instructor teaching children with autism behavioral skills, since Dec 2011.

-I have been mentor in a mentor program that services high-risk teenagers since May 2009.

-I am currently (since summer 2010) the youth Vice President at my religious institution, where I create and facilitate quarterly programs for high-risk youth ages zero-20 designed for educational, spiritual, and social advancement as well as recreational enjoyment.

- Child Care Worker (since 2006) I monitor children ages zero-six and nurture, teach, and care for children who have not yet entered kindergarten. In addition to attending to children's health, safety, and nutrition,I organize activities and implement curricula that stimulate children's physical, emotional, intellectual, and social growth.

-Employed as an adaptive P.E instructional aid in January

Uniqueness:

-I know American Sign Language, I am not fluent, but I can communicate effectively. And I am currently furthering my education.

-I have strong references (compliments of CSULB admission committee) [2 professional references - 1 academic reference]

-I have strong writing skills (compliments of CSULB admission committee)

-Lastly, I am a 22-year-old Pan-African male.

& I want to concentrate in school Social Work, that is why a lot of my experience is academic based/ related.

Edited by Future MSW

For Penn's 2 year MSW program I was awarded $10k for Dean's Merit Award and $2k for SP2 Award = $12k total.

This sounds pretty standard right? It's still a small amount relative to the total cost of both years which is around 80k, right? Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the scholarships!

Personally, I only applied to state schools because they were more affordable. I have a limit on the amount of debt I am willing to be on.

I have a family to support and if all goes well, the next two years of grad school will be hard financially. I only applied to local schools for the in-state tuition and because CA has those stipends they offer to MSW students. Cost was a big factor in my applications. But I also feel that I applied to some awesome state schools. I hear many great things about each one. My dream school was Berkeley but I wouldn't be able to afford living in SF. But honestly, if I could have figured out a way to pay for the school and live in SF, I probably would have done it!

I applied to SJSU & NYU. My GPA is subpar but I'm hoping my experience and essay will overshawdow my GPA.

My stats are:

Undergraduate GPA: 2.7, taking courses at a local JC to raise my GPA (I majored in Economics/ Administrative Studies)

GRE: No GRE scores, I am going to take them this spring. Neither programs require the GRE test.

Social Work related experience:

-I was employed at two after school programs servicing high-risk minority students for two years.

-I am currently employed as a behavioral instructor teaching children with autism behavioral skills, since Dec 2011.

-I have been mentor in a mentor program that services high-risk teenagers since May 2009.

-I am currently (since summer 2010) the youth Vice President at my religious institution, where I create and facilitate quarterly programs for high-risk youth ages zero-20 designed for educational, spiritual, and social advancement as well as recreational enjoyment.

- Child Care Worker (since 2006) I monitor children ages zero-six and nurture, teach, and care for children who have not yet entered kindergarten. In addition to attending to children's health, safety, and nutrition,I organize activities and implement curricula that stimulate children's physical, emotional, intellectual, and social growth.

-Employed as an adaptive P.E instructional aid in January

Uniqueness:

-I know American Sign Language, I am not fluent, but I can communicate effectively. And I am currently furthering my education.

-I have strong references (compliments of CSULB admission committee) [2 professional references - 1 academic reference]

-I have strong writing skills (compliments of CSULB admission committee)

-Lastly, I am a 22-year-old Pan-African male.

& I want to concentrate in school Social Work, that is why a lot of my experience is academic based/ related.

I think you have great experience. Personally, experience is much more important in this field.

The programs look for a well rounded student. I hope things go well for you. Good luck!

KMSW - Yes I agree with your statement about taking out an exorbitant amount of loans for an MSW. I realized I posted my Penn comment on the wrong thread, this thread was meant for SOUTHERN Cali, that was my mistake.

Interestingly, there was this other thread about a bunch of folks raving about getting into Ivy Leagues and Private Schools, and don't get me wrong, these schools are great and have a great social work program, but many think it doesn't really make sense to take out a bunch of loans for an MSW. I wanted to know your thoughts on this?

I'm aware of the Southern California Stipends and the amount UCLA, Cal State LA and Cal State LB offer and in what amount, but I was wondering what you think about the role of where you get your MSW relative to whether or not one plans on going onto get their PhD. I don't know whether or not I want to go on and get my PhD - it's very possible that I might continue on that path or just get my LCSW and do clinical work, but I was wondering if having a "better named" school would increase my chances of getting into a PhD Program? Thoughts on this? And thanks in advance.

I just received this via email from CSULB:

The School of Social Work is pleased to inform you that you will be nominated for admission to the University. If admitted to the University through Enrollment Services, you will be placed in: 2-Year Children, Youth and Families. Please note that final acceptance into the Social Work program is contingent upon your admission to CSULB by University Enrollment Services [please see Application Process chart on the School of Social Work website for further explanation of steps for admission - http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/social-work/documents/2011-2012SchoolofSW3Phases.pdf]. Notification of University admittance usually takes a few weeks due to processing time, formal School of Social Work notification will follow shortly after that.

Should you accept our offer, please notify us via email to secure your seat.

Please remember, you must clear outstanding deficiencies (i.e. statistics prerequisite by July 1, 2012 and undergraduate degree by the end of Spring 2012) in order to complete the application process for the School of Social Work. Due to the volume of applications to our School, the applicant is responsible for ensuring that all documents, including a prerequisite transcript and/or a transcript verifying completion of an undergraduate degree, have been submitted to University Enrollment Services no later than July 1, 2012.

If you accept this offer, more information will follow with the formal admissions documents.

Thank you,

Sounds rather odd - does this mean I got in?

I got the same email today too!!!

It means we got accepted but need to be cleared by enrollment services first. Verify your transcripts among other documents. Depending on what they are asking you to provide.

Congrats!

Has anyone applied to CSU LA for the Forensic focus? I'm just curious because CSU LA is the only one that offers it so I assumed it would be competitive but haven't heard anybody mention they applied for it? Seems like most everyone is going for mental health or youth/families. Would appreciate any feedback on that program... I didn't get a chance to go the info session. Thanks!

Congrats to all of you getting into CSULB! Oh man, I want to hear something from the CSUs I applied to now. At least you guys don´t have to wait it out any longer. Glad to know some of the CSUs are getting the notices out sooner rather than later.

Depends on your FAFSA.

I made "too much money" so I don't qualify for any financial aid.

But I know for a fact that CSULA has scholarships for grad school students. One of my friends got that scholarship every single time.

UCLA offers fellowships but only if you applied for it with your application to the school of social welfare. I didn't apply for fellowships because I didn't know i had to do another essay and frankly i just wanted to submit my app ASAP because it was driving me crazy. There might be other scholarships but I have not done any research yet. I'm pretty sure CSULB has scholarships for grad students. (at least I hope)

Also, if you get accepted to any UC, you will be able to get work study. I don't think its offered at CSU's but you will need to speak to the financial aid office of each school.

But the stipends are one of the best aid out there. If you end up going to a CSU the stipend (which ever one you get awarded) will pay for your ENTIRE grad school education. Not too bad.

Depends on your FAFSA.

I made "too much money" so I don't qualify for any financial aid.

But I know for a fact that CSULA has scholarships for grad school students. One of my friends got that scholarship every single time.

UCLA offers fellowships but only if you applied for it with your application to the school of social welfare. I didn't apply for fellowships because I didn't know i had to do another essay and frankly i just wanted to submit my app ASAP because it was driving me crazy. There might be other scholarships but I have not done any research yet. I'm pretty sure CSULB has scholarships for grad students. (at least I hope)

Also, if you get accepted to any UC, you will be able to get work study. I don't think its offered at CSU's but you will need to speak to the financial aid office of each school.

But the stipends are one of the best aid out there. If you end up going to a CSU the stipend (which ever one you get awarded) will pay for your ENTIRE grad school education. Not too bad.

That's good to know, that there is aid out there! I don't know of a CSU stipend that pays for your ENTIRE grad school education. I have heard of the CalSWEC and the IUC stipends, but they only offer about $18,500 a year, and a DCFS stipend where you have to work for DCFS for two years after graduating in order to pay off your graduate loans. Which stipend do you know of that pays for the ENTIRE cost?

Yay! I just received my CSULA letter! I'm so happy because I've heard really great things about their program! They need me to let them know by March 5th, which is really early considering I haven't heard from the other schools, so don't know exactly what I'm going to do.

By the way, the stipend I was talking about is the 2 yr calswec. 18,500 each year. CSU cost approx 15,000 (if not a few more) for the 2 yrs, so if you add it all up, you got your entire grad school application paid for.

Congrats on being accepted!

At CSULB's informational meeting, it was said they once students begin their program, they can't switch between program models. You could contact the department to see if they can possibly switch you into the 3 year program before the beginning of fall semester. It's worth a shot since they've already offered you admission!

What's your first choice school for your msw?

Sorry, one last question - does anyone know about switching programs once accepted? I got into the two-year program, but want to continue working so I think the three-year program would be more ideal.

Congrats on being accepted!

At CSULB's informational meeting, it was said they once students begin their program, they can't switch between program models. You could contact the department to see if they can possibly switch you into the 3 year program before the beginning of fall semester. It's worth a shot since they've already offered you admission!

What's your first choice school for your msw?

Yeah I heard that also - that you can't switch, but good suggestion! Definitely worth asking.

You know, I don't know what my first choice is at the moment. I was thinking Berkeley but now I'm thinking whichever will give me the most aid, so now I'm thinking Cal State LA. You?

Edited by rjose