LSE MPA

I ended up choosing Development Management instead of MPA ID and I received the 4th email Nov 28th. I am still under consideration and it's nerve wrecking!

Hey alchyna,

Mine says under consideration too. Waiting is horrible. Though they did say it typically takes them 8 weeks to make a decision.

Hey all,

Best of luck with the decisions! I had to wait for about 6-7 weeks - applied towards the end of November, heard back from them in the 2nd week of Jan... I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but I had not submitted my Financial Application form for a while after I applied, but once I did, the response was within 2 days.

Does someone know anything about any scholarships available for this programme?

Best,

Iri 

• 1 year later...

I applied to 6 schools in America and LSE.  The LSE application was pretty much apples to apples with US programs, with a few quirks:

• LSE does rolling admissions until the program is full.  They started accepting apps on Oct 15 this cycle, which is pretty early considering most Americans will be looking to submit things in Nov/Dec for Jan/Feb deadlines.  I would prepare to have your app materials ready a bit earlier if LSE is on your shortlist.
  • LSE will only take academic letters of rec if you graduated college within the past 5 years or so.
  • I believe providing GRE scores is optional
  • The program code for the MPA is L2UN, make sure you fill this out as your first choice program.  I was careless and selected MSc in Public Affairs and Policy or something to that effect when I applied, it took me 2 weeks to get this rectified.

Congrats OxfordApplicant! :)

Thank you for the tips Rap Game Harry Kane. I am considering submitting my GRE scores but they're not very stellar (158q 158v and 5.5 writing). I'm not sure if I should submit these, as it might take away from the rest of my application....If I had scored above 160 on both then I might have but I am really debating submitting my GRE scores as of right now... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

I also got an offer for the MPA PEP, and I am still considering whether to accept it or not. I really like the programme and it is definitely something that I want to do, but my main concern is the money. My work experience is very short - only one year gap between BSc and Masters and completely irrelevant to what I really want to do. The problem is that 42,000 is a hell a lot of money for me (and my family) and I am seriously doubting the worthiness, considering the outcomes of friends from LSE and Oxford who start on 25 000 - 28 000 per year. I also have an offer from Erasmus University Rotterdam for MSc Economic Policy which is only 2000 euro... I would be very happy to hear any opinions for this course and mainly do you guys think that this is a good investment, especially if you are not a millionaire, but you really want to pursue a career in economic policy?  :)

One more thing, providing that I have done BSc in Economics and I am familiar with the foundations of the modules in year one, do you think that there would be enough time to have a part-time job for 20 hours a week?

Edited by Nickson

I also got admitted for the LSE MPA but I am waiting to hear from external scholarships. Financing is a major concern to me and without a scholarship I may have to wait until next year. 

Anyone else going to LSE this fall?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi community,

I am new and my objective is to apply to LSE MPA since Oct'15. I would like to know what else do I need to add or include in my background to be admitted.

I am Bsc in Systems Engineering but I left college in 2007 (8 years ago) in Perú. However, my studies during that period included 4 calculus courses, 2 statistics courses and 1 economics course. I have worked in the commercial area of a private sector company being manager.

What do you recommend me to do for this application in order to be a strong candidate?  on the other hand, if you see difficult my admission for this period, what do you recommend me to be a candidate in my next year application? 

Thank you very much for your help!!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Just came across this post and it had some really useful insights. I will be applying this year for the LSE MPA. By when do they stop accepting applications generally? If I apply by mid-November, will I be in a comfortable position to apply for financial aid?

Thanks,

Natasha

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Natasha,

it's a rolling admission process, but they will stop accepting new applications when the program is full. Happened quite early with my program. It was probably one of the first to close down. I think around February. You'll have plenty of time to apply for financial aid with LSE when you apply by mid-november.

Which programs did everyone apply to? I am looking at the following but confused on the differences. Looking to work at a development bank. 

-          Development Management

-          Development Studies

-          Social Policy and Development

-          Public Policy and Administration

-          Local Economic Development

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LSE MPA: Significantly higher tuition and living cost makes LSE unaffordable, fewer scholarships, requires more work experience, lower acceptance rates, Brexit concern for EU applicants, more technical streams requires quant skills

When I opted for Hertie instead of LSE, I put on the balance everything that CakeTea just named, plus the fact that I really wanted to live in Berlin. 

LSE's worldwide reputation was the main reason why I would have applied to its MPA, but at the end it was not enough. 

Edited by pedropabloerr

5 hours ago, pedropabloerr said:

When I opted for Hertie instead of LSE, I put on the balance everything that CakeTea just named, plus the fact that I really wanted to live in Berlin. 

LSE's worldwide reputation was the main reason why I would have applied to its MPA, but at the end it was not enough. 

Berlin is doable on a student budget with more housing stock. One can live with a student budget of 800 euros a month. People would struggle to find a single room in London at this budget. In the UK, some English students from moderate background get admitted to LSE, but can't enroll to to financial constraints. Rent and transport would exceed maintenance loans. LSE has the reputation for being a rich (UK and international) kids' uni. In short: Many applicants just ruled themselves out for LSE.

• 3 weeks later...