UGA MSW - Anyone?

ellyk

Thank you!! Got the acceptance letter today! I can survive without an assistantship, so this wait isn't nearly as bad :) I'd still like one though!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be a double dawg or potentially a triple dawg. I'm applying to do the dual degree MSW/MPH program but I can't apply until the fall. Furnished apartments around the university... The only furnished ones I know about are Lakeside, The Exchange, The U, River Club, Polo Club, and The Lodge. I'm pretty sure they are all on the Athens Transit bus line, which is free for UGA students.

Yeah, I'd say so. I don't really know so much about the university housing that graduate students stay in as I only have experience with the undergrad areas, but I know ECV (East Campus Village) was mentioned in my acceptance letter and undergrads stay there too. All I know is ECV is extremely expensive for what you get. The convenience of being on campus (and especially so close to the School of Social Work) is nice, but it's upwards to $3,500 a semester. The graduate/family housing is really old and I don't know the last time it was renovated. I'd definitely suggest living off campus and using the free bus system to get to campus or getting a parking space and driving yourself.

oh ok..all of the off-campus furnished apartments have baaad reviews and are notorious apparently for noisy undergrads/parties. ECV is very expensive...I've gone ahead and applied for the graduate housing and am looking for regular unfurnished apartments in the area because it is much cheaper. I can use that extra money at Ikea to decorate my new crib :) Thank you for your help and advice. Do you have a Facebook? I say we start a UGA MSW class of 2014 group.

Yep! I sent you a message with my Facebook link. My boyfriend and I are looking to live in Puritan Mill. It's a bit further away but it's on the Athens Transit bus line (and I'm getting a parking spot anyway) but it's relatively new and really nice. Not too many people know about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard anything. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago and they said they would know by early April. I'm so anxious to find out! I won't be able to pull off out of state tuition so this is really my last chance for going out of state. Hopefully we hear back within the next week.

Have either of you tried to contact Dr. Vonk to ask when decisions will be made? I did a few weeks ago and haven't dared to again because I've already been a bit of a pest. Here is her info Email: bvonk@uga.edu Phone: (678) 985-6793; (706) 542-5471. She usually responds within a day. If either of you decide to contact her, keep me updated on what she says. I bet she has a pretty good idea by now of when we should hear back.

For those of you who are still waiting, I just e-mailed Dr. Vonk again (I've been so obnoxious) to ask if all assistanship decisions have been announced and if not, will we hear either way. I'll let you guys know if she e-mails me back.

I just got an e-mail from Dr. Vonk saying that all of the letters are in the process of going out and that they hope to be completed by early next week. Good luck to those of you still waiting (me included!).

I just got an e-mail from Dr. Vonk saying that all of the letters are in the process of going out and that they hope to be completed by early next week. Good luck to those of you still waiting (me included!).

Thanks for the update! I sent her an email on Tuesday and she never responded. lol Fingers crossed!

Still waiting to hear about an assistantship. I'm just wondering if anybody knows, do they contact everyone whether or not you received an assistantship, or do they only contact those who do? I'm going crazy!

I need to vent a little. Has anyone heard back on assistantships yet besides Whitty? I am so sick of feeling glued to my inbox! I can't focus on anything. Seems like the date for hearing back just keeps getting pushed out over and over. Ellyk or Danielle, any news?

I've heard nothing at all! I'm getting really frustrated. If I didn't get an assistantship, I'd at least like to be told that I didn't get one instead of being left hanging. I need to make plans if I didn't get one.