GRE: high Verbal, low Quant.

water_rabbit

This is a common question, I think. I posed this recently actually: Perhaps you would find the posts equally as enlightening since you are a fellow Soc major.

Honestly, I think the main thing is beating the "cut-off" for programs. I have read a variety of posts all assuming that 1200 is the generally accepted cut-off for top 20 programs. I do not know if this is true. What I can tell you is that I've looked at some 25-60 ranked programs, and the cut-offs I have found from those universities (if listed at all) are so at 1100 then down the list towards 1000). I suspect that certain 25-35 programs probably consider the overall score more than others (Vanderbilt, etc).

Edited by Willows

I would check out the other post (specifically jacib's comment) for some good insight. It really varies by school AND who is on the adcom. If your planning on doing quant work, it might be a problem, but if your more of a qualitative person I wouldn't worry too much. Even then, if you have high quality quantitative research experience and you make it past the first sorting, your experience will speak more to your viability as a candidate than a test score. Like Willows said, if your strong in other areas, the main thing is beating the cut-off and getting past the first round of apps.

• 2 months later...

OK, I've been trying to avoid stepping in here, but can everyone take a step back from their keyboards and have a deep breath? I was really hoping you would have the decency and sense to do it without external stimulus, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This has gone downhill very, very fast.

Off-topic posts have been removed, all around.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...