DAAD 2013

viggosloof28

Some of you may already know this from the dissertation fellowship wiki (http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2013-14), but re-posting it anyway...

"(3/22) In phone call to NY office, was told that many factors (Euro Zone crisis leading to many more applications, for one thing) have delayed the process. Decisions will probably be signed off next week, but then there's Easter holiday, so emails will not go out until the first week of April. So keep crossing those fingers (or pressing your thumbs, as it were).  — That's to say, too, that all applicants will indeed be notified by email; therein will successful applicants be asked for their current mailing addresses to receive the official packet."

Here's to hoping that leslie was correct in my facebook message (end of march which is this week) and the other NY rep wasn't (first week in april). Not that it matters a whole lot either way, just an extra weekend to either have some celebratory drinks or some for.....other reasons.

Clearly, I'm very anxious to hear back. Nonetheless, from facebook:

Dear DAAD,
Do you know when results for the Graduate Research Grant competition are expected to be announced? Please let me know and thanks in advance.

41598_105346793835_8336_q.jpg

DAAD North America

You will receive word next week.

I agree, I get more anxious each day and unfortunately it looks like we won't hear before the end of March. Best of luck to you all with controlling your nerves over the week and weekend!

Edited by mhwally

Clearly, I'm very anxious to hear back. Nonetheless, from facebook:

Dear DAAD,

Do you know when results for the Graduate Research Grant competition are expected to be announced? Please let me know and thanks in advance.

41598_105346793835_8336_q.jpg

DAAD North America

You will receive word next week.

Ugh...next week! Well, hope everyone has a good easter then! Hopefully that will distract us a bit.

dear kumar1244,

Sorry about your Fulbright frustraction. Well, don't worry a lot, DAAD will make it good. From what I have heard, DAAD award about 60 research grants long term and applicants with invitation letter from a german faculty have 98% of chance to get the grant.( information from a former DAAD long term research grant holder) so, if this apply to you, you should be more calme than i am. i have everything, but a letter of invitation.

this is going to be my longest week-end ever. Do not stress out yourself about Fulbright.

Kopf hoch! es wird schon was.

dear kumar1244,

Sorry about your Fulbright frustraction. Well, don't worry a lot, DAAD will make it good. From what I have heard, DAAD award about 60 research grants long term and applicants with invitation letter from a german faculty have 98% of chance to get the grant.( information from a former DAAD long term research grant holder) so, if this apply to you, you should be more calme than i am. i have everything, but a letter of invitation.

this is going to be my longest week-end ever. Do not stress out yourself about Fulbright.

Man, I hope so! Don't want to get my hopes up too high. Thanks for the encouragement though!

Well, I'm here with my tail between my legs from the Fulbright announcements. Anybody else like to join me in my alternate/rejected flailing frustrations?

I'll join the club.  This was the second rejection from Fulbright, I suppose they don't like transnational history as it questions national boarders and such.  It makes it a hard sell to say you are studying colonialism in Togo, but need to research in Germany as the documents are there.

dear kumar1244,

I dig your optimism!  Thankfully I have a letter of affiliation to FU Berlin :-)

I got one! 

I was also placed as an alternate for Fulbright - anyone else (kumar1244?) know what the likelihood of getting off the waitlist for Fulbright is for Germany?  If I actually get the option (doubt it), what are the merits of one or the other in pragmatic terms?  As far as I can tell, Fulbright is more prestigious outside of academia & Germany, but there's more paperwork & there are some bogus restrictions on out-of-country travel; DAAD has the possible one-year extension but doesn't have the same name cache internationally.  But penny-for-penny the same award, right?  So who cares.  Besides, I don't really want to feel indebted to the US government in any way whatsoever.

For DAAD folks, I'm wondering how formal our university affiliations have to be next year.  Do I have to enroll in a degree course, or can I just enroll in a university without working toward a specific degree and just do my research with a professor?  I don't really need or want another college degree, and this time could be better spent doing research, traveling, and bridging the gap from academia to whatever's beyond...

Also, are we required to attend whatever institution we suggested in the proposal, or can we apply to multiple institutions within Germany and get a choice?

Last, the fine print says that a DAAD can potentially be extended for one extra year to finish a 2-year degree.  How many people get this?  Is it assumed to get the extension?  How does that work?

Congrats to some, keep the faith to others, and condolences to the rest. xx

Shibboleth12, let me know if you find out the answers to any of your questions. I didn't apply to the Fulbright (didn't know I was graduating until November of last year), and I am enrolling in an MA/MSc program, but I do want to know whether we are obliged to attend one of the institutions indicated in the application (the Study Scholarship allows up to three to be indicated) and what the chances are for a second year for those enrolling in a two-year masters program.

Also, does anyone know if there are restrictions on accepting a paid TA position at a German university as a secondary source of funding?

I got one! 

I was also placed as an alternate for Fulbright - anyone else (kumar1244?) know what the likelihood of getting off the waitlist for Fulbright is for Germany?  If I actually get the option (doubt it), what are the merits of one or the other in pragmatic terms?  As far as I can tell, Fulbright is more prestigious outside of academia & Germany, but there's more paperwork & there are some bogus restrictions on out-of-country travel; DAAD has the possible one-year extension but doesn't have the same name cache internationally.  But penny-for-penny the same award, right?  So who cares.  Besides, I don't really want to feel indebted to the US government in any way whatsoever.

For DAAD folks, I'm wondering how formal our university affiliations have to be next year.  Do I have to enroll in a degree course, or can I just enroll in a university without working toward a specific degree and just do my research with a professor?  I don't really need or want another college degree, and this time could be better spent doing research, traveling, and bridging the gap from academia to whatever's beyond...

Also, are we required to attend whatever institution we suggested in the proposal, or can we apply to multiple institutions within Germany and get a choice?

Last, the fine print says that a DAAD can potentially be extended for one extra year to finish a 2-year degree.  How many people get this?  Is it assumed to get the extension?  How does that work?

Congrats to some, keep the faith to others, and condolences to the rest. xx

Good questions; I think your impressions between Fulbright and DAAD are spot on (or at least they confirm what I had thought).  In regards to the university affiliation.  I don't know exactly, but I am doing straight research to complete my degree here in the states.  I will be working with a professor at FU Berlin, but not enrolling in a path for a degree there. I stated that I would travel to different archives throughout Germany, making brief research trips, but I don't know about working at multiple institutions that might be a different situation.  Hope that helps or gives context at least!

I also received word that I was not selected for the DAAD. Luckily, I was granted a Fulbright.  To all of those who were granted the DAAD, congratulations! And to those who were not, have no doubt that you will become super successful.  As the great Max Planck once said, "Auch eine Entäuschung, wenn sie nur gründlich und endgültig ist, bedeutet einen Schritt vorwärts."