University of California at Berkeley MSW Fall 2013 Applicants

SAY24

Well, I got my email from Berkeley. Rejected. Not wholly unexpected, but still not fun to hear (especially on the same day I lost my job!). Good luck to everyone else!

Hi Carrielyn, I am so sorry to hear about this especially on the day you lost your job. That sounds tough to take. I am dealing with the loss of someone who used to be very close to me, so if I get rejected, I will be experiencing a double whammy too. We will make it though! It looks like you already have an acceptance somewhere else though and that you are still waiting on a few other schools. I hope you have a few other options to choose from and wish you good luck!

May I ask you what concentration you applied for?

Edited by SAY24

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Carrielyn, I am so sorry to hear about this especially on the day you lost your job. That sounds tough to take. I am dealing with the loss of someone who used to be very close to me, so if I get rejected, I will be experiencing a double whammy too. We will make it though! It looks like you already have an acceptance somewhere else though and that you are still waiting on a few other schools. I hope you have a few other options to choose from and wish you good luck!

May I ask you what concentration you applied for?

Thanks, and I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck to you as well!

I applied to the Management and Planning concentration.

I also was rejected from Berkeley's Management & Planning today, so you are not alone in that.  I hope you find the silver lining in all of this, and have good options elsewhere (ideally with funding! :) )  Good luck!

Well, I got my email from Berkeley. Rejected. Not wholly unexpected, but still not fun to hear (especially on the same day I lost my job!). Good luck to everyone else!

I also was rejected from Berkeley's Management & Planning today, so you are not alone in that.  I hope you find the silver lining in all of this, and have good options elsewhere (ideally with funding! :) )  Good luck!

I was also rejected today. Must say I'm somewhat surprised. I thought I was a strong applicant - 3.84 undergrad GPA, decent GRE, strong LORs and essays. I'm taking graduate level courses even though I am still an undergrad and will graduate with distinction in June. However, as a current undergrad, I only have just over 1 year social work experience. Perhaps this is where my application was lacking. Also, I applied for the gerontology concentration. Maybe this focus is more competitive than others?

Oh well, hoping for positive news from the remaining 3 schools. Best of luck to you all!

I wonder if they are doing it by concentration? On last years UCB MSW thread it seemed like it. Have any CMH applicants heard anything yet? I applied for this concentration. Good luck everyone. 

I wonder if they are doing it by concentration? On last years UCB MSW thread it seemed like it. Have any CMH applicants heard anything yet? I applied for this concentration. Good luck everyone. 

I applied to CMH concentration also! Haven't heard back yet. We're supposed to hear back sometime between March 15-22 so it's definitely coming up!!

Hello! I applied to the Title IV-E program and am extremely nervous/anxious. I wish we would hear back already... Everyday I check online, but of course nothing has changed... How is everyone else dealing with it? I hold my breath whenever I get an e-mail..
Hey Magiec, how was your Title IV-E interview?

Hi say24, I was accepted for the Title IV-E program at SFSU, and they said they'll recommend me to the graduate division and then I'll get official acceptance in the mail. So I don't really know how soon the official decisions are going out, and it seems like the timeline is different for the stipend program. I've heard April/May too for the regular program. Hope you hear something soon!

Edited by dida

Hi say24, I was accepted for the Title IV-E program, and they said they'll recommend me to the graduate division and then I'll get official acceptance in the mail. So I don't really know how soon the official decisions are going out, and it seems like the timeline is different for the stipend program. I've heard April/May too for the regular program. Hope you hear something soon!

Oh that makes sense. Thank you.

Congratulations to you on getting in! May I ask you what your top choice school is? I see you applied to five. You already have three out of five- that's very impressive!

Edited by SAY24

Oh that makes sense. Thank you.   Congratulations to you on getting in! May I ask you what your top choice school is? I see you applied to five. You already have three out of five- that's very impressive!
Thanks! My top choice is UC Berkeley. How about you?

Thanks! My top choice is UC Berkeley. How about you?

Hi Dida, my top school is UCB, too! However, I may not have quite enough experience yet, but feel the rest of my app is strong. If not, I will apply again next year. I just don't want to get on the wait list and continue living my life in suspension! Although it might feel a little better than a flat out rejection... The 18th is so far!  :rolleyes:

I know, the wait is agonizing! I know people in some concentrations have already heard, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up about hearing this week... What concentration did you apply for?

I applied for the community mental health stream. Got the email saying the decisions will be out from the 18th-22nd. The wait is killing me- I got wait listed last year and that was horrible.....I was holding onto hope until the last minute!

Good luck everyone!

Does anyone happen to have information about how many seats are available per concentration for our cohort? I'm also curious about how many students are currently enrolled for each concentration. Also, any thoughts on how the sequester will impact the program? Thanks and best wishes to all during this difficult waiting period!
I pulled this from the 2012 Berkeley thread: - avg 700 apps last couple years - 102 spots available last year - Child/Family 32 spots / 200 apps - Mental Health 28 spots / 200 apps - Gerontology 10 spots / 50 apps - Health & Management each had roughly 15-17 spots / 100 apps - 3.58 avg gpa last year (last 60 units from semester or 90 units from quarters) I applied to CMH and I'm in the process of reaching out to current students and alumni to get more in-depth reviews of the program. Of course, it's Berkeley, but I'm looking for rigorous mental health training and so far it seems like that may be lacking. :-/ Has anyone else been in contact with students or alumni?

I got waitlisted for the Health Services concentration this week, and while I am happy with the possibility of still being admitted I am dreading the next 1-2 months of further waiting.

When I asked about the waitlist process, they told me that there were 12 spots alotted to the Health concentration (yikes!) and they do not release how many people are on the waitlist. When they said the waitlist is not ranked they meant that depending on the spaces that open up they will pick someone that they feel will bring a unique perspective and background to the cohort, in place of the person who withdrew. I like there approach but the waiting will be a strenuous exercise in patience and restraint lol

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard or joining me in this extended agony!

Was rejected by Berkeley today, though I'm not too upset as I definitely saw it coming  :rolleyes: So sorry to those who have also been rejected but congrats to those who got in!

Edited by paige_elizabeth10

I got into CMH!!!

Congratulations to you! Would you feel comfortable posting your stats? Like your GRE, GPA, work experience type and length, etc.? It would be great for all those who were accepted or wait listed to post this (and their concentration) so those of us who didn't get in can see what they were looking for this year. I got rejected for CMH, but am glad the wait is finally over. It feels like a relief! I will work on getting more experience now. Best of luck to all those who are still waiting.

Congratulations to you! Would you feel comfortable posting your stats? Like your GRE, GPA, work experience type and length, etc.? It would be great for all those who were accepted or wait listed to post this (and their concentration) so those of us who didn't get in can see what they were looking for this year. I got rejected for CMH, but am glad the wait is finally over. It feels like a relief! I will work on getting more experience now. Best of luck to all those who are still waiting.

+1

Say24, was Berkeley the only place you applied?

Was rejected by Berkeley today, though I'm not too upset as I definitely saw it coming  :rolleyes: So sorry to those who have also been rejected but congrats to those who got in!
Hey Paige Elizabeth, sorry to hear about Berkeley. Did you apply for CMH? It's awesome that you'll be attending UW! :)

Hey Paige Elizabeth, sorry to hear about Berkeley. Did you apply for CMH? It's awesome that you'll be attending UW! :)

Yes I did! Rejections are never fun but I'm really not that upset. UW is a much better fit for me (geographically, financially, etc.) and it was my first choice so I am very excited!!