Security Studies Programs

Most of the good ones are slow to notify, methinks. Still waiting to hear on G'town SSP, SAIS, GWU SPS :|

Suppose it's nice that most of these are doorways into recession proof jobs :D

I applied to UK's Patterson School as a safety school -they have an excellent security & intelligence concentration I hear-- lo & behold they're a top 20 policy school according to FP Magazine's rankings. Anyone hear anything good/bad about the program? Word is they're sending out notifications sometime next time.

Who's heard the word on Security Programs... any program? (holding my breath on SAIS and SSP).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the good ones are slow to notify, methinks. Still waiting to hear on G'town SSP, SAIS, GWU SPS :|

Suppose it's nice that most of these are doorways into recession proof jobs :D

I applied to UK's Patterson School as a safety school -they have an excellent security & intelligence concentration I hear-- lo & behold they're a top 20 policy school according to FP Magazine's rankings. Anyone hear anything good/bad about the program? Word is they're sending out notifications sometime next time.

Who's heard the word on Security Programs... any program? (holding my breath on SAIS and SSP).

I am very interested in the national security track as well but with a more of a concentration of food security down the road with my career. I applied for a couple MPA programs. I majored in agricultural development and I worked for the US Dept. of Agricultural the last 4 years.

Anyways...I got into the Syracuse MPA program and I like it since it is a one-year program. I did apply to TX A&M, University of Texas, Harvard, and Gtown as well.

Anyways...I got into the Syracuse MPA program and I like it since it is a one-year program. I did apply to TX A&M, University of Texas, Harvard, and Gtown as well.

Congrats! Still waiting from all of the above, sans Syracuse, I imagine?

Do you have any military experience?

Congrats! Still waiting from all of the above, sans Syracuse, I imagine?

Do you have any military experience?

No, I don't have military experience but I did do ROTC (or Corps of Cadets) at Texas A&M. I was thinking about joining back in the days but I wanted to serve my country in other ways either through working for the government or doing public policy.

I heard from GWU that they hope to send out decisions by the end of next week so hopefully we are all getting good news in the near future.

Perfect! That's why I started the thread -- thanks much :)

Bet G'town rolls around the same time. I hear applications have been through the roof this year, economy and all.

No, I don't have military experience but I did do ROTC (or Corps of Cadets) at Texas A&M. I was thinking about joining back in the days but I wanted to serve my country in other ways either through working for the government or doing public policy.

If you get an interview, maybe you should wear your riding boots :lol:

(sorry, VMI guy here :D )

Perfect! That's why I started the thread -- thanks much :)

Bet G'town rolls around the same time. I hear applications have been through the roof this year, economy and all.

yeah, GWU had a record number of apps... let's just hope they accept a few more than usual!

I've heard from both mine.

I attended a meeting at the Naval Postgraduate School back in January and the dean listed what he felt were the top Security Studies programs. On that list were the usual suspects but one I'd not heard of - Kansas State University. Has anyone heard of this program? They have quite a list of distinguished faculty and it's a one-year program.

I've heard from both mine.

I attended a meeting at the Naval Postgraduate School back in January and the dean listed what he felt were the top Security Studies programs. On that list were the usual suspects but one I'd not heard of - Kansas State University. Has anyone heard of this program? They have quite a list of distinguished faculty and it's a one-year program.

I have never heard of it until now. I wonder when the program got started though?

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.k-state.edu/securitystudies/Welcome.html

I have never heard of it until now. I wonder when the program got started though?

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.k-state.edu/securitystudies/Welcome.html

It sounds like UK Patterson and KSU might fall under some sort of "best kept secret" category.

I'm pretty happy about putting in an app to UK -- they might be 18th overall, but I love the small class sizes (only 36 students admitted per year).

It sounds like UK Patterson and KSU might fall under some sort of "best kept secret" category.

I'm pretty happy about putting in an app to UK -- they might be 18th overall, but I love the small class sizes (only 36 students admitted per year).

I wouldn't say KSU is a "best kept secret", at least not for those who work in security studies. Both of these are by Fort Leavenworth, Kansas which is home to, among other things, the Command and General Staff College and the Combined Arms Center, the "intellectual" arm of the United States Army.

There are plenty of professors who work at both the local universitys and the Army schools there. In fact, there is a partnership between CGSC and KSU.

Has anyone heard anything from SSP yet ? I heard that they're on leave until 16th March. Any info guys ? I have had pretty good response from admin director, she even knows my name, lately ! Is that a good sign ?

Waiting is torturous ! :x

It's killing me too! Did Tiffany say when they'd send out letters? I think SSP snail mails...

I wouldn't say KSU is a "best kept secret", at least not for those who work in security studies. Both of these are by Fort Leavenworth, Kansas which is home to, among other things, the Command and General Staff College and the Combined Arms Center, the "intellectual" arm of the United States Army.

There are plenty of professors who work at both the local universitys and the Army schools there. In fact, there is a partnership between CGSC and KSU.

meh -- I prefer things that are painted blue...

Hey Security Studiers,

I was just looking through your school info and noticed that other than hisroyalhighness you guys didn't apply to the Fletcher school. Is there a reason for that? Do you not think highly of its security studies program?